Women in Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by ICT, Mar 7, 2004.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

To be clear, my wife doesn't do MA, so she doesn't entirely understand how rolling on the floor with someone in a grappling situation is different than rolling on the floor with someone in throes of passion. I think *that* is her issue.

(edit) hehehe . . . "Throws of Passion" could be the title of a romance novel about a Judo practitioner . . . hehehe (edit)

By the way, what does "Kai su, technon" mean?

Thanks,
    E

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I have always loved grappling. It was my first martial art and I am hoping to get back into it again soon. But it is a hard one to get orther females interested in. Never understood it myself, but I never stopped to think about it when I had a chance to start learning. I just jumped in.
    Shotokan, simmer down girl! :p

3. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

It's Greek. It means 'You too, my friend?' It was more rhetorical than literal, I used it to mean disbelief at being betrayed by a comrade, something like that. It was allegedly the last words of Julius Caesar before he was hacked to smithereens. You might be more familir with the Latin: 'Et tu, Brute?'

4. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

I agree with you in the above problem. I mean we were once doing a class on getting away from being grabbed from behind. Naturally though the guys i was partnered with weren't holding me very well out of fear of rubbing against my butt or something LOL!

I also find it funny than I'm learning all these blocks to protect my groin. I guess I'll know what to do if I ever grow nuts. :D

5. shotokanwarrior

Just because we don't have nuts doesn't mean we can laugh off groin shots.

6. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

I'd rather protect my boobs than my groin.

7. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

My friend Tammy bought some kind of special hard plastic bra to wear for her Thai Boxing instructorship test.

8. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

lol I'm picturing some sort of She-ra like breast plate. Does anyone even remember She-ra?

Oh and shotokanwarrior, you are taking my posts to litterally.

9. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I remember She-Ra!!! :D Haven't actually seen Tammy's super-bra so I can't comment on its similarity, or lack thereof, to She-Ra's. :D

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Women, martial arts. What can I say. If you like them separately, how much better is it when you get them together. Still, I think I would be uncomfortable grappling with a woman, becasue I am, as mentioned before, afraid of accidentally groping. Although, it seems it will be the only way I'll ever get to roll around with a woman :cry: hahahhahahahhaha :D :D :D

11. wrydolphin

I always hated those chest protector things. Make me feel like a turtle, not to mention sorely hampering my ability to fade away from kicks and punches. I would rather have the mobility then the pretection. But that's just me.

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I'd rather protect both .... take a shot to the groin just once and you'll know what I mean!
    I have adequate protection in both areas and suggest the same for you gals.... especially if you plan on a family. (... kitchen is closed here ;) )

I just recently purchased a new hogu that I am having a problem adjusting to while sparring. I had that similar chest plate before ... (like a boustier ) in which I had better sparring mobility.

13. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I feel you on that, Wry. Mobility all the way, if they can't hit you, you don't need the protection. For this reason I don't wear a hogu. But you will never NEVER, EVER, never, never, never find me sparring without my cup strapped in place.

14. wrydolphin

Dear Lord, I agree with Scarlet.
    Where's the lightning? I know its about to hit!

15. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

what do people find about the reaction of others to doing a martial art? I can be quite agressive sparring, and it does irritate me that so many guys comment on me being "vicious" (sp?) I know they mean it as a compliment, but I mean its not like women aren't aggressive and spirited fighters too.
    Though the comments I get outside the do jang annoy me more, I move around a lot at work and for a few months all I got was "Ooh don't go beating up the customers hahaha" and "Can you kick me in the head?" "just beat me up if I'm in the way" and stuff.
    Its quite good at our club - we have two instructors, a married couple who take the class on alternate days (though I like having female instructors, its vastly amusing hearing people from some other clubs call the (male) examiners "ma'am" at gradings lol).
    How much prejudice do others find doing martial arts?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  16. creamcheese

creamcheese New Member

Hi Lady Calynne,
    I can understand a bit what you're going through. About 6 months after I started learning I got comments from 3 guys. This would always happen if my technique was good and they ended up on the floor. One of those guys could never get me down and the other damaged his leg when he fell and ended up in hospital not being able to train for 2 weeks. He hated me for it and it. Another guy refused to work out with me because of something that happened. However, a serious and dedicated practitioner would not react in such a way. I can only say that the guys respected me and treated me as an equal. For some reason I don't like the word sparring, it has too many meanings. In the workplace, my boss knew what I did and it soon got around to the whole company and I got comments from everyone in one way or another. I just used to laugh it off. But it had its good side. Some people wanted to learn a few things from me and they would pop into the office in their lunch break for some practice. Some would come to me for advice on stretching exercises if they felt "caught up" and some would come to learn a few self defence techniques. I got them aware and interested and I enjoyed helping them and giving advice. I am now teaching. What MA do you practice? As far as prejudice is concerned, that only came from my immediate family who have now come to accept the fact, "that's what I do".

17. shotokanwarrior

I know exactly what you mean. A local guy was having a conversation with me and my mother once, he was being perfectly civil until I let slip that I did Shotokan, then he started making stupid condescending comments, pretending to attack me and dropping into a (phoney) fighting stance every sodding five seconds. Now every time he sees me in the street he goes 'It's the karate girl!' and 'Don't hit me, don't hit me!' Crap these people drive me mad.
    Oh yeah, and I was sparring with a guy at my dojo once, I was being my usual fast, fierce, intense self :) and afterwards he asked me 'Do you have a lot of rage locked up?' NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! (Well, only at people like you :) )I DON'T!!!!!!!!!!! I'M A NORMAL MA'IST THAT'S ALL YOU STUPID JERK!!!!!!!!!! I am sure that another male would not have got the same reaction.

18. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

I think next time this stupid guy says "Don't hit me, don't hit me" you should actually hit him. :love:

19. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I saw my friend NIcole at the gym today, whom I had a wicked grappling workout with two weeks ago, and when I asked her if she was gonna grapple this Thursday, she said, "No, my husband had an issue. I need to warm him up to the idea." So I guess spousal dissaproval of intergender grappling cuts both ways.

20. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Women in Western Martial Arts

In Western forms of Martial Arts there is a long history of women fighters as warriors and teachers,from medieval times right through to the era of the Prize-Fights.

A website on the subject can be found here...
    http://www.fscclub.com/history/zhened-old2-e.shtml

Louie

Attached Files: