Women in Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by ICT, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

PATSYTI:

Here's a repost from yesterday or the day before, saves the hassle of looking for it. I really am curious how your social class would look at this.. is it another form of artsy gymnastics or "real" martial arts.

How about going even further with differentiation? For example, maybe a sword isn't feminine, but what about a fan? I really am genuinely curious...

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

shotokanwarrior...you worry too much :D - The first paragraph at everyone, the second paragraph at anyone who wishes to take on a whole thread of people and tell them they are wrong without backing their claims and not considering others. :)

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Thats not much to do with what i said...... I mean how does that prospect make you feel NOW!? knowing that your behaviour/attitude to them while your alive could cause them a LOT of problems once your dead....

4. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Pastity,
    I feel slightly more then mildly insulted that you state that because a woman practices martial arts, she is no longer a "Lady". As though praticing martial arts in and of itself, suddenly means that you can no longer bring that person out in public.

I have very good manners, thank you, I have the abilty to mingle in all types of social situations and have never once even slurped my soup.

The fact that I choose to be healthy AND be able to defend myself (lets face it, a woman can be attacked regardless of her being a "lady" and it doesn't really matter where she lives or who she knows) does not mean that I am some sort of female gorrilla which is an embarrassment to my family. All practicing martial arts means, is that I practice martial arts.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Seeing that I got one apology so far from Pastyti....

I am also offended by those same remarks of his, but I highly doubt that due to his steadfast opinions that he will begrudgingly offer an apology to all the women here on this site ... let alone me.

I'm thinking of changing my name now to " KickLady"
    :)

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

DO IT!!!!

I'd even pay extra to see you spar in a dress :rolleyes:

(comes the goading from the peanut gallery.... we now return this thread to it's regualrly scheduled listings of why women are insulted by some of what's been said)

7. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Bai, you're a dork. :p

I guess I will have to hold my breath for that apology. :rolleyes: :bang:

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Sorry, wyr, I couldn't resist.

I mean "Ladies don't do martial arts"? C'mon, how seriously do you want me to take that statement and the ensuing chaos?!? :love:

9. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

Since Pastyti has never had the pleasure of training with neither a female or a lady, maybe some of us ladies can have a training session with the good gentleman then we can all go for some cocktails in our ball gowns after it :D

Tally ho!

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Well, it is clear that Mr., or should I say Lord Paysti is far too closed in and comfortable with his belief system to allow any change. It's all good though. His generation will probably be the final vestige of this bit of "culture". And then women can get back to kicking ass and breakin' it down on the dance floor with Scarlet :D

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hey ... now that wouldn't be very "lady-like" ;)

Yeah ...you're such a dork Bai :D :love:

12. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Women in MA's

Hey there,

From the women in my dojo I know some either joined because of being bullied in school, wanting to try a sport of some kind or because they saw a MA movie and just wanted to try it. Not alot do Karate though, most stick to Tai chi in our dojo. And one or two even dare to do Ju Jutsu.

As the "Busen" dojo also emphasizes on self-defense techniques (we learn one every second lesson)its good for women in everyday life. Women even get encouraged in our dojo to be a bit "harder".

Christian

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yes, but I'm a funny dork :D

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Abi or Paris is there a difference? Not really. The point remains. And what's wrong with Abi Titmus having been a nurse? Is that also below your daughters station?

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I don't know why everyones attacking pastyti, I thought this forum was to maybe attack the idea but not the individual. Just because he's old fashioned doesn't make it wrong does it?

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

As you can see Kwajman, I (Admin) am active on this thread and keeping a close eye on this thread and trying, with extreme patience, to add some brevity to the discussion

Perhaps you are insinuating something more by your comment?

Everyone does seem to be attacking Pastyti's "ideas" concerning "women in the martial arts".... nothing wrong in that.

And I do take all his comments personally, as I have been crusading for women to become more active in martial arts since Day one of my own ma training.

So then, is he not attacking all women martial artists on this forum? ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  17. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

I have no grudge against pastyti but I do strongly disagree with his views that women who don't practise martial arts are somehow better than those who do. In modern times the class system has been diminished in most places so it is only important to very few.

I am not happy to sit here and be told that I am beneath others and I guess in that sense to it suggests that he also believes men are better than women (I know he didn't say that but his values suggest it). But like I said, I have no problem with pastyti, just the values. Maybe discussion could help change his mind (or possibly he could change ours to his way of thinking).

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Kwaj:

I think the problems are twofold:

1. The paternalism strikes most of us as outdated.

2. He's stated clearly that "he's rich, and if his kids don't do what he wants, they'll never see a penny of an inheritance". That's kinda brutish.

3. Martial arts are apparently not a "lady's sport". Again, outdated and kinda offensive, especially to American women.

I think it's the combo of all three setting people over the edge.

19. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

And it didn't help that he said he didn't want his daughters in martial arts because he brought them up "better than that", and that they were "above the level of that type of activity".

That's pretty much a slap in the face to everyone on this forum, no?

20. Pastyti

Pastyti Banned Banned

Ok girls; (Ladies) you well know what I mean. KC, no I'm not about to change my opinions, but, for the sake of reasonably decent manners I'll say sorry.

Does that help?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005