Women in Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by ICT, Mar 7, 2004.

1. ttamgirl

ttamgirl New Member

ok.

But we are still like everyone else. It depends on the person what they like.

I have always just taken whatever classes I could.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Nothing better than a nice sweaty girl rolling around on the floor doing martial arts..... :)

3. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

we have a few women that train at our club. we do a very hardcore form of hapkido with a strong focus on free fighting.

we don't have categories based on weight or sex, so these women 90% of the time are working with someone bigger and stronger than them. i think it gives them a more realistic environment to train in.

i.e. in the real world there are no weight categories.

my instructor will come by and suggest or tailor the techniques taught for each individual at the club. so for instance someone like me 6ft 3, 230 pounds he will say you are like a tank stuck on forward. whereas for one of the girls who is less physically intimidating he will say to stay out or clinch and grappling range whenever possible, move in and out.. circle etc.

i would put money on any of these women if they had to fight most average guys in the street.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I hate to say this guys, but I think you've been had. No one with such ridiculous ideas would get within 50 meters of one of them thar new fangled computerograms - don't you know they might give the women ideas?!
    Out of interest, Pastyti, whereabouts in the world are you?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  5. Pastyti

Pastyti Banned Banned

6. Pastyti

Pastyti Banned Banned

Hope this helps.

Pats.

7. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Ah yes, the breeding of the übermensch. Good luck Pastyti!

8. Pastyti

Pastyti Banned Banned

Sorry, first paragraph made no sense. Equally, I'm sure you are refeering to Paris Hilton, not, Abi Titmus. In her previous life Abi Titmus was a Nurse.

Regards.

Pats.

9. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

Ha! Yeah, that did help. I respect your bluntness in your answers but I still really don't agree with your stance with your children - boys and girls. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that your boys are real ''men's men''. But anyway, this isn't a child rearing forum.

So then Pastyti, are there any females in your martial arts class? How do you feel about training with them as opposed to training with other men? I accept the views of your daughters not training (accept doesnt mean agree). Do you feel uncomfortable training with women because there are very often differences in size, strength, and weight. How do you deal with the differences between training with the opposite sex or would you rather men trained with men, women with women just to be safe (I know you like your precautions)?

Also, you mentioned sueing if a person/school your child was training with (not that that will happen) gets injured. Do you plan on taking action if anything happens to yourself, or has anything like this happened in the past?

Laura

10. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

One more thing, you say you still train to make sure you don't lose the skills you gained all those years back. If you believe the life you and your family is living now is so cushy, why do you need these skills? I'm sure you have bought all the finest in security measures for your home so you dont need it for protection there. If it is to defend yourself on the street, isn't there just the same amount of chance of your daughters being attacked as you? In fact, I'd bet theres a higher chance of them being attacked than you. I'm sure the minders you pay to spy on them wouldn't want to get their hands dirty if trouble did arise.

11. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

You are entitled to your opinions and to raise your children as you wish. Just as I am entitled to believe that you have done a great disservice to your children.

And you are lucky that your children aren't able to stand on their own, as if they were, you would be without.

12. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Actually, Abi Titmus did have an adult video "leaked to the public" not too long ago. Not...that...I know about that sort of...stuff. :eek:

13. dee_mon

dee_mon New Member

My mother is not too happy about me taking up MA, i think she associates it with the 'wrong kind' of person, and definitely thinks its 'unladylike'.

Now i am a feminine girl, i spend time on my appearance, love clothes, shoes, make up and getting my hair done. I wear false tan & paint my nails. I love to cook. I also just happen to love kickboxing, and it really really bothers me that my mother cant accept it (yet!).

She wont come to see me fight, which i understand - she thinks the whole idea of actually fighting is barbaric & dangerous, and i amn't going to change her mind about that (especially as im hoping for a tko in july! :woo: ), and i respect her beliefs.

But it upsets me that she will not respect MY beliefs/wishes - the last time i had such passion for something was a couple of years ago, and the thing i was into was drugs. From 17 - 21 I was taking E at least twice a week, coke all the time, smoking 20 a day (plus countless joints), and drinking all the time.

I had little direction, confidence or self esteem. I even went through a phase of taking diet pills, trying bulimia (its pretty hard, thank god, and i couldn't do it!) and writing down everything i put into my mouth (even though i'm pretty slim), because i suppose i lacked control in life.

Now i train all the time, i have great passion in my life for something that makes me strong both mentally & physically, i won't touch a cigarette - i barely even drink any more, i have had a huge increase in confidence and self-esteem and my life is much happier.

I eat what i want (ALOT!) and train enough to never feel the guilt i used to - although i dont eat any crap because i refuse to put Diesel in a Super-Unleaded engine! Food is not an issue any more, I have become fairly ripped fairly quickly which after so long worrying about my body feels fantastic.

I feel ten times more able to defend myself should i need to. The time i spend watching television has dramatically decreased. (Need i go on?)

Pastyti, the point i am trying to make is, there are a lot more harmful things a young woman could be diong than studying MA.

Come out of the stone age please - we are intelligent, strong human beings, and a penis (or lack thereof) does not and should not dictate how we live our lives.

Do your daughters know you see them as little more than possessions to be matched up with the wealthiest man possible, recepticles for his sperm and vessels to carry your grandchildren (who i am sure you hope will be strapping young boys)? If i thought my father saw me that way i doubt i would have much time for him at all, and i certainly wouldnt WANT his money.

I doubt very much that you have been involved with Martial Arts for 20 years. Anyone i know who truly loves Martial Arts is happy for ANYONE else who shares that love.

Although somehow i dont think any of this will change your opinions :bang: :bang:

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hey Dee, you sound like a really great young lady. Good for you for doing what you want and standing up for yourself. Don't get married and ruin your life. Keep doing things for yourself and stay STRONG!! :)

15. Pastyti

Pastyti Banned Banned

Dee-Mon,

I know where your mums got her head, and I agree with her. She is obviously a well balanced and highly sensible lady. That is I believe the operative word LADY. As I have previously stated I have no objections whatever for Girls or Women to be involved in MA or any other form of physical activity. However 'Ladies' do not do that type of activity. Ladies are more dignified.

I was sorry to hear of your previous lifestyle problems but delighted to hear that you have straightened them out and are well and healthy. Unfortunately, I still drink too much (according to my wife) and still consume 40 Marlbrough a day. Can't see me stopping after all this time!!

Like all parents I guess, I'm doing the best I can for my kids, by my standards and perception. I would also venture say that, those women posting here who encourage their offspring 'both male and female' into MA or whatever activity they enthuse over, are doing so for the same reasons that I am taking my stance. This is they believe it to be the most beneficial path for their kids to follow. So you see we really are not that different. Just 180 degrees out of synch.

Kick-Chick. Apologies are in order. I did not intend to imply you looked juvanile; rather that by comparison with me, you were positively youthfull. Sorry if I caused offence.

To whoever asked the question; 'I can't remember'. I do not now, nor ever have trained with women,when I started, (and looking back I was wrong, it's not 20+ years at all, its 30+ years) women didn't take MA's or at least not in my area, so the situation never arose. I now train privately amongst a group of 6 men in a Dojo I fund. Hope that info helps.

Pats.

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

you have still not replied to my comments.....

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And I was so hoping to get a response to my WuShu question. Drat. Maybe he'll come back.

18. Pastyti

Pastyti Banned Banned

Ok, in reply to the above quote, which is what I recon you mean. How would I feel? I'd feel nothing, I'd be dead, in the same way that we'll all die, like all living things. The sooner a person realises their own mortality, the sooner they (should) also realise that the time, place and method of their departure is largely irrelevant. No point worrying about it, it will happen, its a certainty. It has always amused me that so many people say things like "Oh you've GOT to do that" or "you HAVE to do this". No I haven't the only thing I've GOT to do or HAVE to do is DIE. Think on.

Pats.

19. Pastyti

Pastyti Banned Banned

Hi mate,

What WuShu question?

Pats.

20. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Who was that aimed at?

Wow, you said something I agree with.

As Avenged Sevenfold say

'Nothing will last in this life