WMA on youthube

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Stolenbjorn, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I think theese techniques seems pretty well executed (though in slow motion). What do you think?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYwdE3f5fFQ&NR"]Longsword some techniques I (old interpretation) - YouTube[/ame]

2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That looks pretty good to me. Good point control, nice distance on the slope steps, too. I wish it were edited better so I could see the timing of the foot relative to blade and body.

-Mark

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

they were ok.
    AS langeschwert said about the good things I agree.
    However I disagree with how the guy on the right would pull into ochs before thrusting instead of thrusting straight in from teh bind. That eats up a lot of time. Winding into ochs to regain leverage and position is fine and all but it shold relaly only be done if you are forced to instead of reflexivly. There is a reason why the first play from zornhau is a thrust to the throat/face and everything else comes after than.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Good eye. Sometimes it's necessary to go into a more withdrawn Ochs, but straight from the bind I think it's better to stay more extended. However, when winding into Ochs from Sprechfenster, or doing an Abstetzen for a winding, I tend to draw my hands back a bit so that my opponent's weak catches my strong, otherwise I find the impact takes my sword offline. Perhaps there's something wrong with my Abstetzen?

I love doing that one. :)

-Mark

5. Cudgel

Wouldnt pulling your hands back put your weak against their weak or strong.
    And maybe you arent making your absetzen imediately enough.

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It depends on the strike they're making. If I'm standing in left ochs and my opponent strikes to my right side, then I change into right ochs while stepping forward. He's going to want to hit me with the weak of his sword, so it will be on course to my noggin. If my hands are too far forward, then we get strong on strong, which sucks if I'm in ochs. If my crossguard is near my head, where the weak of his sword is targeting, then I intercept the cut on my crossguard, and his weak is bound by my cross, and then I go all thrusty-thrusty to his face with my strong on weak leverage. If he does a strike which I can only intercept on my cross with my arms extended, then it wouldn't have hit me in the first place, and I'd probably do a following after and whack him in the recovery instead. For Stolenbjorn, what we're discussing is similar to a thrust in opposition.

Am I making ANY sense here, or am I full of it? :)

-Mark

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Wow.
    Everyday I'm gettin' more into the idea of training some of this stuff.
    LOL! :D
    The grass is always greener I suppose. Here I am in Asia where so many people want to be to study Asian sword arts and I'm gettin' all hyped about WMA. :eek:

I found it quite interesting in that it reminded me of some stuff I'd seen on Japanese sword techniques... where the cut or the actual damage was being done by the tip and the bulk of the blade was simply being used to counter or parry the opponents weapon. Very counter to what you see in the movies and most depictions of swords arts (of either kind really I suppose) where they show people hacking through enemies like logs... when in many cases... if you manage to sever their hand or their rist or catch their throat with the tip... it's pretty much game over.

Any idea what particular style this would be?
    Is this longsword of any particular style?

Dig that crazy Jujutsu-esque type arm lock he throws on the other guy. I guess one of the common denominators for weapon arts is going to be that there are only so many ways the body can move and that seems to be the constant among them all.
    Well that and cutting and stabbing. :p

8. Cudgel

If I am following you correctly, I think you are mizxed up somewhere. If you slope or pace forward from left to right ochs you arent pulling your hands back they are moving forward, just liek the rest of your body, which would indeed put their weak to your strong.
    Either that or we are both full of it :D

slip-dont be that ...erm...weird feeling. There is a small group of people in Hong Kong many of which practice WMA and are Chinese. I think the website for them is http://www.rsw.com.hk.
    And I think the only true differences between any two styles are the mindset and philosophy behind it rather than the specific techniqus.

And NOw I am reminded of somethign else I didnt like in that video. The grappling mostly showed the thrower pulling the throwee while moving away instead of the more sound, moving and pulling or pushing fomr in close over the body. If you can move away that far you dont need to throw because you can use your sword.

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Could be. All I know is that I can make it work. I guess what I'm saying is that when I do the windings come from intercepting a strike in Ochs or Pflug, my arms aren't extended too far past my head. When I do the windings from a bind out of two zornhauen, my arms are more extended. Am I making sense yet? ;)

-Mark

10. Cudgel

.....um yeah....I think we just had a minor miscomunication somewhere becasue that last post makes perfect sense to me. maybe I should wang my head agaisnt a wall for a bit.

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

double entendre, mon ami. ;)

-Mark

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The visual's not pretty either. :eek:

Good clip. Looked a lot like arnis in some ways. And I doubt that's a coincidence. I think arnis is strongly influenced by Western swordsmanship (though I've seen this hotly debated). The footwork, parrying, and so on are very similar. I particularly enjoyed the parry where you essentially let the opponent's sword get past yours, but then catch up to it on the back side to guide it off course and clear the way for your counter. What we call palis palis.

Stuart