Wish me luck

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stevebjj, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Made weight tonight without any problems. Weighed in at 181.9 in the 171 to 184 weight class, and that was with board shorts and a light t-shirt on.

We weighed in outside the Gracie-Barra school on what looked to be an old loading dock... pretty nippy. So, I'm glad I wasn't one of the guys who had to get down to the jockies! :)

So, wish me luck. Tomorrow's my first tournament. No matter what happens, I'm sure to have a good time. I'll be sure to let you guys know how I did.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good luck bro!
    Jump in a give 'em hell!
    You should have a very good time. :)

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

LUCK Pei

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Good luck Pei.

5. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Good luck peisistratos! Give 'em hell! :woo:

6. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Good luck. Don't panic and remember to breathe.

7. timex

timex Valued Member

yeah , remember to breathe! good luck-have fun.

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Good luck Pei!!!

Let us all know how you got on,and have fun! :love:

9. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

Enjoy it and try to learn from the experience.

10. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

good luck warrior!! ;)

kick some ass Pei!...or should i say tap some ass...erm... :D

11. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Good luck P. I'm sure you'll be fine :D

12. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

good luck.

be sure to give an update.

win or lose...

it's a win no matter what...

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Okay... I'm gonna jump in the shower and head out pretty soon. Thanks for the encouragement! I told my wife that this is my first time, so I may finish pretty quick. She said that as long as I have a good time, this one's all for me and the next one can be for her. It occurred to me that she might not be talking about the tournament. :D

I'm stoked. I feel great and am ready to go.

14. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Now there's a sig. :D

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

:D No comment!!!!

Have fun Pei! :D

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

go get em ............ :cool:

17. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Belated wishes of good luck.

18. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

LOL... I knew the girls would get that right away! :D

Well, I won 1 and lost 1. I won on points in my first match, 11-0, I think. I was smiling the entire time, even after I lost. It was awesome. I'll post it to youtube ASAP.

In the second match, I went down into his guard (not sure if I got takedown points or not), got swept as I tried to pass (I got caught thinking about the choke when I should've been thinking about my base), then passed, and then as I fought to regain guard got choked out with a lapel choke. The guy who choked me out eventually took silver, losing to one of my teammates via triangle choke.

I learned a lot today about how it feels to compete, and I also identified some things that I need to work on next (chokes and choke defense). I also found out that I'm BIG for my weight, and strong. If I can keep working technique, I'll definitely be able to use that to my advantage.

19. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Good job. One win one loss not bad for a first timer.

20. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Video:

Match 1: Win 11-0 on points. As I said, I won this one, but I did a lot wrong. I was focusing on breathing and not hyperventilating. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyIOEUMwThs"]bjj match 1 - YouTube[/ame]

And Match 2: I lost pretty fast. The guy went on to take the Silver. He also mentioned that he'd been training twice as long as me. I feel pretty darn good and can't wait until the next tournament in July.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNRHKBYtGkI"]bjj match 2 - YouTube[/ame]