Wireless TV on laptop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Hey dudes, I have potentially stupid questions (whats new) and since you guys never laugh at me (too loudly) I shall ask here! :p

I have an Acer aspire 5920 and was wondering if there was any sort of (legal) genius invention that I can purchase, that would allow me to pick up TV signal without the use of your normal TV aerial or internet?

So basically aerialess TV on laptop......I'm sure there's probably a better name for that.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I have the same laptop with a slightly different specification than yours if I remember correctly and some versions came with a built in TV tuner (naturally you'd have to pay more for it).

Apparently, this is pretty good for laptops but you will need to plug in the aerial that comes with it.

Having said that, a quick trawl of the interweb reveals just as many people complaining about this, as there are giving it the thumbs up. You pays your monies and takes your chances it seems.

:cool:

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

How wireless does this wireless TV need to be? Do you want to just watch TV at home but in another room or do you want TV anywhere any time?

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

7. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Aiki, it would be for anytime, anywhere use and possibly in remoteish areas - by the looks of those things you would plug the dongle thingy into a portable aerial? If that's right then they are just what I'm looking for. Knew it would be you two to help out.

Thank you :)

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

LOL yep that's what you do with them. :D Happy to be of service :D

9. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

i tried one of them wireless tv usb dongles before but kept getting no signal etc.

is that one good aikiwolfie? im tempted to buy so i can watch tv in other rooms.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If you're gonna do this, watch out for your bandwidth allocation.

If you get charged by the gigabyte you go over your limit, it can rack up pretty quick with some shows being 4-700MB in size, if not higher.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

They're not interweb based Saz. So bandwidth charges aren't an issue. Well at least I don't think they are.

sharkey I have no idea how good they are. Never tried them myself. I don't watch that much TV.

12. Rhizome

ahh no problem this was a while back anyway and my one had a little aerial with it so might have been old/cheapo, just couldnt get it to connect or a signal no matter how much i wanted it too lol.

does anyone know who i should contact for a name change on here if possible?

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Contact either a Global Mod or an Admin. They'll take care of it. I think there's also a link in your User CP for name change requests.

14. Rhizome

cheers aikiwolfie:).