Winter

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

My wife & I live in New England where it gets somewhat chilly sometimes.
    My mother in law is from Mexico, and finds anything under about 80 F (26 C) to be a bit chilly.
    I tend to wear shorts/t-shirt until it gets below 60, sometimes a bit lower, even into the mid 40s if I'm not outside for a long time/moving around (~5-15 C).
    My mother in law will wear layers when it is 70 out (~21 C). In the 60s, she is freezing and wearing a lot of layers.
    She prefers not to visit when it gets much below 60 around here, which is about half the year. I can't even imagine what she would need to wear in 40 degree (5 C), let alone 10 degree (-12 C) weather.

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Like going to Florida in February...it is easy to pick out us tourists, where the ones in the shorts and short sleeves while the natives are in coats and sweaters

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

3° in London, UK. But its quite windy, so the wind chill is the killer. Cant wait for it to go full snowy/icey.

My knees loves slippery surfaces

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep. I live in the Sonoran Desert, which extends well into Mexico. For 4 months straight, June-Sept, the high temperature is almost always above 100F. The low temperature will be somewhere in the 80s. And then you have two months before and after where the high temperature is moving through the 90s and the 80s. Halloween Day here, the high temperature is usually mid-80s, and the low about 65 F.

So that's 8 months out of 12 where my dead-of-the-night low temperature is someone else's peak-of-the-day high temperature.
    Today, on the verge of Thanksgiving, the expected temperature is 78F high/50F low.

So, ya, New England is chilly! :p

axelb likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Coldest Thanksgiving since the 1800s is on tap for here tomorrow.

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

wrap up warm and take care! It sounds like a good reason to stay inside with the family and eat lots of food :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  7. Xue Sheng

Coldest Thanksgiving since 1871.... it is supposed to be a balmy 9 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning with a wind-chill below zero... and I have to go pick the oldest up at the train station in the morning....because he overslept today and missed his train

Well...in honor of an early winter

8. aikiMac

Dude! :eek: You're giving me bad memories of my winters at Purdue, LOL! :p

9. Xue Sheng

sorry...oh by the way it was 6F today.:p

axelb and aikiMac like this.
  10. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

What is this Fahrenheit thing of which you speak? What’s wrong with using Centigrade like the rest of the civilised world? :p

Mind you, I expect we’ll be back to using Fahrenheit in the UK after Brexit :rolleyes:

axelb likes this.
  11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I'm not saying I want to behead a Stark right now but I'm getting there.

axelb likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

Celsius is just plain wrong.....if it were right, we'd use it in the USA :p

When I was in Elementary school, way back in the stone-age, we had to learn the metric system because we were going to change to it like the rest of the world...but the change never came

13. aikiMac

LOL, that second part is funny. I'd be very happy to drop inches and feet and yards and miles in exchange for the metric system, but I prefer our temperature scale because the F degrees are smaller (180 of them between freezing and boiling instead of 100), making our measurements of temperature more accurate than yours. :D

14. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I moved to London from Perth, Western Australia and I swear, by no real science, that the respective temperatures are actually different between the hemispheres.

In Perth a low might be 8 or 9 Celsius in the morning, but it's a desert vacuum 8 or 9. You might warm up under the sun during the day but the air itself...it's like there's nothing between you and the cold void of space.

It's different. It totally is.