wing chung and boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by pseudo, Mar 25, 2014.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

This was an interesting video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzzg2ZnTMc"]Overwhelm the Boxer - Wing Chun - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, I can't figure out how to link these videos properly.

Anyhow, I thought this was a good videos, now im not a wing chung guy nor have I ever met a wing chung practitioner but I do agree that getting in close, inside the gard is the best way to deal with a boxer.

So how many guys have spared with a boxer have tried this out? How much success did you have?

I boxed for a while and spared with a guy much bigger and better then I was, I couldn't get inside.... it's a lot easier said then done. The other tricky aspect to this is staying inside while avoiding your opponents other weapons. While his jab and right may no longer be effective, he can still use upper cuts and hooks to the body as well as push you a way to reestablish his reach.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  2. AngRoo

AngRoo New Member

I dunno, even though those guys are training boxing they aren't really throwing any punches with intent that would replicate a real situation - imo.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I didn't like the video. I think the only thing I did like was their acknowledgement that boxers are dangerous and the majority of Wing Chun guys suck at bridging the gap. Not because trapping is necessarily unusable - I kind of agree it could work if the boxer isn't expecting it - I just think it isn't trained effectively in a lot of WC schools.

He said the guy in the white t-shirt is a "skilled MMA fighter." Lolwhut? Dude had a bigger booty n' breasts than Nicki Minaj. But if a guy that big really was experienced in MMA (or Thai, judo, wrestling, sambo etc), do I really want to get in there and let him hug me? Hell no! What's the first thing he's going to do when I start winning the punching game?

This is what would happen:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ixEHDWqrzI"]The Avengers - Hulk Smashing Loki [HD] True 1080p - YouTube[/ame]

And yes, I do have bitch fits like Loki. I don't, however, have his awesome costume. Or hair. Unfortunately.

I've sparred a lot of boxers. Many of them have been regional or national champions. Getting in close with them is exactly where I don't want to be. Trust me, I've been there and it's not a nice place. Like you said, a good boxer will happily uppercut and liver shot you all day long (and "happy" is what you'll be anything but). My most successful tactic has always been to keep them at range with body and head kicks. Y'see, the Chun is all about flappy hand movements. Boxers see hands coming at them all the time. They're used to it and know how to handle it. Feet, on the other hand, is like a foreign language. But that doesn't mean you can do 6 months of kickboxing or taekwondo and be ready to have a crack at Pretty Boy Floyd. You've got to work your ass off to get them there kicks golden. And actually spar boxers too.

Bottom line: Drop WC and do boxing instead. And something with kicks. And judo. Just not WC.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I hate these videos.

1. These guys are not boxers.
    2. Why keep making the comparisons? You do WC, they do boxing.

If you want to cross train then do so. Take bits of the other arts and make then your own, but stop trying to make your art beat another, they're different.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I love that scene. Reminds me of my dog - frustrated with a piece of un-compliant mop in his jaws. So brutish its downright elegant.

Nothing could ever epitomise "rag dolling" better than that clip!

6. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Yikes.

I didn't really see this as a this art vs. This art, which is better. I saw this more as a if you find your self sparing against such and such how could you approach it. Sore spot eh, I guess being a senior member you have seen more then enough art VS. Art Threads.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Really should have posted it in my log to illustrate how I felt after Saturday. :D

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That clip is what I aspire to be in life. :love:

Edit: The green guy. Erm . . . the huge green guy. I've already been the puny green guy. Still recovering from being the puny green guy. :p

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

This guy is supposed to know some boxing but couldn't throw an honest jab or he would have some the commentator... Dressing up a pig doesn't make it pretty (in human terms ;' )

LFD

10. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Getting inside a boxers guard is extremely difficult, but a really good tactic if you are a grappler (or a Thai boxer). If you are a chunner it is a terrible idea. Boxers are lethal at close striking range. People with little knowledge of boxing often don't realise just how close a boxer can be to his opponent while still throwing immensely powerful punches, a shortrange hook or uppercut are both knockout shots that can be thrown while you are close enough to touch heads with your opponent. Chunners have inferior defensive and offensive tools at this range. The best option for a chunner against a boxer would be to strategically retreat.

11. Ero-Sennin

I don't think people realize that "mid range" in boxing is the same distance you start off in wrestling where you're grabbing onto the other guy. That's where the most devastating punches are generally thrown aside from the cross. Mid range is where the hooks and power straights really come into play, along with upcut set ups. Close range is really the clinch, only you're not clinching. The only thing that can't be thrown there is a straight punch unless they get an awesome angle. There are also different punches/combos for halfway between mid/short range. It's not like Boxers forget how to maneuver and punch just because you get close to them. :p

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I train one on one with my instructor who did kickboxing for 7 years... I just got through my first month. We spar at the end of almost every lesson... needless to say, I haven't hit him in the face one time in 8 lessons now. Just when you think you might have something, you get kicked... or grabbed and thrown... or punched in the nose... again. As mentioned, this is kickboxing and I know we are talking straight boxing which means that they only use their hands, so they are going to likely be even better, but the leg kicks? Well yeah, throw those in there and you realize just how nasty they can be to someone not at all aware of them. It sucks. I'd fight either of them, but would lose to both and don't have to much pride to admit it.

13. Ero-Sennin

Not a single punch? Have you been told to throw your hands more, to "let go" yet? Or are you just saying you haven't landed a good one yet?

14. Saved_in_Blood

I mean not one to the head, gloves, shoulder, I've hit. Landed a few ok body shots and would have gotten a good leg kick, but it wound up landing on his butt cheek... so yeah.... no.

15. Saved_in_Blood

I am getting good at getting beat up though!

16. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

LOL, that was comedy gold. Both "boxers" couldn't box to save their lives. Using a tan sau to stop a right cross would be about as effective as using a cardboard shield in a sword fight. Boxers don't block punches, they avoid them with foot and head movement. When the WC guy crashes in the boxer would pivot (believe it or not they actually practice that) and tee off on him. Unless it was an inside fighter like Frazier or Tyson where they would simply smile and let go of some hooks and uppercuts with bad intentions. The 3 major styles of boxing are Boxer, Puncher and Brawler. All of these styles are skilled and don't let the name brawler fool you, these guys know what they are doing. Also everyone trains by sparring each of these types of boxers.

Rule of thumb, don't trade hands with a boxer.

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Find another niche, SIB, that's my speciality.

18. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

BTW, what chi sao should look like.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrfDW3HA0ZA&safe=active"]Steve Fraser - PUMMELING-Drill Variations - YouTube[/ame]

If you check out Alan Orr's stuff it does look similar.

19. Saved_in_Blood

They do parry punches though, and always keep their hands up.. so in a sense they do block them.

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You can parry a jab but I have never seen anyone parry a cross or hook. Keeping your hands up is more of using your gloves as a shield. It's kind of blocking but more passive.

What you do see is counter punching which somewhat intercepts the incoming punch while moving the target off line. Filling the space that the incoming punch wants to use with something other than your head.

The little boxing I did I always seemed to block punches with my face.
    :p