Wing Chun VS Eskrima

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DrunkenMasterBE, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

Im practicing kung fu atm and wing chun and western boxing ==> Jeet Kune Do
    Now what are you opininions should i continue wing chun or take eskrima?
    What will benefit my JKD more?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

JKD incorporates WC and I'm yet to meet a JKD Instructor who doesn't do Eskrima, so I'm not sure why you'd need to look elsewhere.

3. DrunkenMasterBE

Yes but i cant join 3 schools at a time atm so would i stay with WC for a while i just started WC for some weeks (in a school trained solo and some JKD drills/trapping)

4. Simon

You can't benefit your JKD if you aren't at a JKD class.

5. DrunkenMasterBE

I cant find any good JKD class in Belgium and if i may ask why do i have to start with someones system or philosophy if i want to make it effective for me and make it personal i will travel to England once in a while to train with my JKD teacher and if you look at Tommy Carruthers he had no JKD teacher and Bruce Lee only had a wing chun teacher

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You're not Bruce Lee though.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

If you want to slap stuff together and make it personal to you, why do you need to call it JKD?

If you want to actually practice something that is identifiable as JKD, you will need to learn it from someone who knows what that is.

8. DrunkenMasterBE

not yet ;)

9. DrunkenMasterBE

If i use JKD concepts and take the base from JKD? there is no JKD school here so ill have to keep training myself as much as a i can untill i can train with a good JKD teacher

10. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Which concepts? How do you take the base from something you have no actual base in?

11. DrunkenMasterBE

i trained with a JKD teacher for a week all day so i just keep training what i have learnd and using JKD books

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why do you need to name it JKD?

13. DrunkenMasterBE

Because it is

14. Simon

No it isn't, don't delude yourself.

While it is correct you can apply Bruce's principles of cross training and only absorbing what is useful, it is not JKD.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What's JKD?

I'm not being an **** here, it's a question I find interesting. Given my recent branching out into Wing Chun, Eskrima and other bits and bobs.

16. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

1. Stop mindlessly worshipping at the altar of JKD.
    2. Tell us what martial art/combat sport gyms are near you.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wrong

If you have eggs flour and water you have teh base ingredients for pastry, pasta or cakes

What you also have if you do not know how to cook or mix is a bowl of sloppy crap

18. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

DrunkenMaster, don't worry about JKD it there aren't any schools nearby. Find an art you like and train it. Going to a 1 week JKD camp and then saying you practice JKD is like going to a 1 week wrestling camp and calling yourself a wrestler. It just isn't true.

Quit getting hung up on labels and styles. You will practice harder and learn more if you find something you like at a school near you.

19. DrunkenMasterBE

So basicly because i dont have a famous jkd teacher i cant learn jkd ?funny part is Tommy carruthers gets praised to heaven with no teacher at all

20. DrunkenMasterBE

It was not a camp one on one training all day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.