Wing chun/Ving tsun

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sub zero, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

R wing chun and ving tsun different styles?
    Or r they different spellings/pronounciations of the same style?

Just always wondered.

Thanks

Jamie

2. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Same style i believe.

3. Sporran

Sporran Silverback.

The differences reflect different organisations, usually. There is no single way to Romanise from Cantonese, so dialectic variations in pronounciation can be reflected, making it seem different. The root is the same, however.

In Cantonese, it is often written Wing Chun Kuen, in Mandarin, it would be Yong Chun Quan. The best phonetic would be, as I understand it, WIng Ch'oon K(y)ooen. Any native Cantonese speakers would be able to help more, as I don't speak the lingo myself.
    [note, I have no idea how to properly write phonetics]

4. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Yes, Wing Chun and Ving Tsun are the same style. Different organisations prefer one name to the other. I'm pretty sure my school uses both terms.

Although, there is one, called Wing Tsun. I don't think it is a traditional style though. I believe it's a modified version of Wing Chun/Ving Tsun.

I think the differences in spelling can be explained by the differences in Mandarin and Cantonese in pinyin (without tonal expressions).

Anyone more familiar with pinyin, cantonese, and mandarin can proberly correct me here.

But yeah, in most cases it's all the same stuff. Just different name (WC/VT, not WT).

5. Sporran

Sporran Silverback.

Wing tsun is the same stuff, just a different org.

ts is a common rendering of the 'ch' sound in English.

Example Tsingtao beer, pronounced Ching- taow

As to whether Wing Tsun is modified or Traditional, that's a whole can of worms. Yip Man taught none of his students the same way, so it's either all traditional, or all modified. Any system worth its salt is concept driven, rather than limited by a strict set of "this is how it's done" rules. Tan, bong and fook are all energies, not shapes. etc etc