Wing chun vids

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by BlindClown, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I don't generally like Wing Chun videos so don't be offended when I say:

I didn't like the videos.

3. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

My internet is stuffed up so I was only able to watch the first vid, which I'm assuming is the trailer.

To be honest, looks like your typical Wing Chun McDojo setup. Nice looking school, uniforms, stylized bowing, silky brightly colored sashes, synchronized forms by numbers etc... of course there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

The standard itself is just average really. I mean I've seen much worse, much much worse and I've also seen much much better.

But hot chicks though, ;) that was the only redeeming part of the lap sau drill section. Totally dead lap sau... here's a good example of "alive" lap sau.

fast forward to 1:40
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwVThfGH6E"]Vol.1 GARY LAM Wing Chun Documentary Uncut Unedited - YouTube[/ame]

4. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

I dont know how you can say it was a Mcdojo , simply beacuse everyone was wearing a uniform and the same colour sash ... that is what people like to call presentation. A Mcdojo in my eyes is a shoddy teacher, Sifu John Agar is a fith degree blackbelt he is hardly a mcdojo sifu.

As for the lap sau its clips taken from the video , the video which is for absoulte beginers , there hardly going to show fast paced lap sau .

also that video you posted was alright it wasnt the best lap sau i have seen. the other guy isnt showing any retaliation therefor is hardly an alive lap sau demonstration. Its like most of the lap sau vids where the sifu trys tto show how powerful he is . Which is waht my sifu didnt want to do he wanted to make a MA Instructional video for beginners.

5. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Blindclown, time to get the blinkers off mate. If you can't see position and structure then you're not going to see the skill in Gary Lam's videos. A bit rich to say there is a lack of retaliation when your sifu's videos are replete with exactly that - all the students performing robotic attacks and holding their arms out for lap, pak, etc.

Just by your punching I'm already negatively disposed towards your method. Arms straight elbows locked out ... when you move from air punching and actually hit someone you're just going to fall backwards due to the reaction force at impact. WCK is a close quarter method. Arms are bent even when striking ... elbows down ... when you punch the reaction force from the target is directed back down into your stance.

6. Gong_Sau_Rick

Calm down man, first I said it looked like a McDojo. Just giving my opinion, I have visited MANY Wing Chun schools and yours looks like a McDojo. I'm not watering down my opinion just to be extra special nice and politically correct. WC has had enough of that already.

Read the definition it does *not* mean a shoddy teacher.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcdojo

I know, but why is it that a guy who walks into my school on his first night finds himself throwing up a meaningful bong in lap sau because he knows we're going to smack him in the face if he doesn't.

The other guy is trying very hard not to get a little smack. Exact same motion, timing and energy that would be used in combat. Definitely alive.

Fair enough, I'm just giving my opinion. I have EXTREMELY high standards for WC. Not even 1% of videos out there I will call good let alone excellent.

7. Gong_Sau_Rick

I agree, it kind of has a Karateish or even Shaolinish feel to it. I suspect a significant background in Karate of the instructor.

8. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

I havent got my blinkers on .

I was simply commenting back , if i had my blinkers on i wouldnt have responded to each part of his comments i would have just went on a all out rant .

And Rick , i am calm thanks :D i was just saying its not a mcdojo becasue everyone was wearing the same uniform ( i dont know how u think that is an un calm statment ) also it may have that in wiki but like i said in my eyes thats waht i class as a mcdojo.

as far as the punching goes , we never fully lock out our punches in class ( nor does he in the vid )

and my comments on the lap sau vid are just my opinon , just like u i have my own opinion on WC and i dont find the video you provided as good or even as half as good as vids i have seen or lessons i have taken .

Simply i have understood what you said and i have responded to it ( conversation )

i dont know why u think im getting my blinkers up all im doin is voicing my opinion against yours , as i type this im smiling not frowning :)

if you wanna take this response as anger then go on but i would like to carry on the discussion in case we have our wires crossed .

9. Gong_Sau_Rick

Wow, you should post some links to these videos that have WC that's twice as good as Gary Lam's. Wing Chun of that level would be almost God like.

10. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Well i cant really be bothered ( in work at mo ) but like i said its in my opinion , so its not to say u will think they are

I think for example

alan Gibson
    alan Lamb

and alot of other sifu's have more skill ( but again its my opinion )

11. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Alan Gibson is good, and a good teacher too. But I'm sure even he would say that Gary Lam was more skilled.

12. Gong_Sau_Rick

Yep, Alan Gibson is one of the best WC teacher's in the UK, definitely in the top 5 since he started doing WC the "Wong" way.

But as CFT has already hinted at Gary Lam is Alan Gibson's senior (actually he's an entire generation above him) in the WSL family, in other words Alan Gibson would probably be more inclined to attend Gary Lam seminars than Gary Lam to attend Alan Gibson seminars. So you implying that Alan Gibson was more skillful than Gary Lam really made my day, thanks! :)

That all said, you should train with Alan Gibson if you can BlindClown.

13. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Just beacuse he is senior doesnt mean i should think he is automatically better . Like i said and which your cleay disregarding is that i have seen better videos from Alan Gibson and alan Lamb ( so thats why i said i find them more skilled ) .....

Also the main factor is thats its my opinion!

i cant be arsed to carry this on coz its turning into another never ending internet argument which will never end and seems totally pointless

but you have made my day with your total disregards to the word opinion :)

14. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Blindclown, it is your opinion but we'd have to agree to disagree. Videos are not the best medium for presenting a hands-on skill, especially when most Wing Chun demos are so contrived.

If you only judged skill by video then you wouldn't rate Yip Man given the few forms videos that were put out prior to his death.

15. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Yes i agree and all i was trying to say is that the vid he posted wasnt as good as some that i have seen from other sifu's.

Like i said this thread is now clearly turning into an argument which i just dont want to have , so all i can say is i respect your opinions and though i dont have to agree with them thanks for sharing.

:kick:<thread>

16. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Blindclown, what do you think of these?

David Peterson, Siu Nim Tau seminar
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXhHyjYsua0"]Wong Shun Leung Wing Chun David Peterson Siu nim tau seminar - YouTube[/ame]

David Peterson, Chum Kiu seminar
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGvV0OwrMI8"]Wong Shun Leung Wing Chun David Peterson Cham Kiu seminar - YouTube[/ame]

17. Gong_Sau_Rick

No it isn't LOL! I like you BlindClown, please keep posting!

18. Gong_Sau_Rick

Ahh yes David Peterson, another big WSL sifu. He's one of Alan Gibson's instructors. He goes to the UK regularly, if he's ever doing a seminar in the UK you should go and roll with him, or if you don't know chi sau yet just try and land a hit on him.

19. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Them vids seem really good but like was previously said its ahrd to scale skill on just vids ...

Rick all i can say is taht my whole point of this thread was for feedback on the vids which you provided and also to discuss the feedback given , it just seems like its turning into a cat fight. if you dont think so then ok .. we can carry on but it doesnt seem to be going anywhere related to the OP ...

But anyway ... have you had a chance to watch the other vids i posted which are just interviews .

so out of curiosity rick who do u train under and where do you train?

20. Just Guess

Just Guess Valued Member

Personally I find some of the claims made in the first video of what is supposed to make Wing Chun so good to be amusing. Things like being efficient, making use of angles, and being equally good for men and women are pretty much universal goals in all martial arts.