Wing Chun used in the street.....

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Master J, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

I'm just looking for some accounts of Wing Chun in a real life fight you had. NOT a competition....they are unrealistic, even if full contact.

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Oh god... please not another stonedog...

3. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

No flashy stories here. Wing Chun and Chin Na have served me well on the streets as a Police Officer. No more needs to be said. Any one can use their imagination especially if the are a practitioner of Wing Chun, how the techniques could be utilized in close quarter combat.

Kew-Do

4. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

What do you mean by competition then? What is not a real fight? Like street fighting? Its often hard to find street fighting videos for any martial art. I agree that wing chun needs less videos on "what we can do" like simulations, and more videos of sparring/fighting.

Often there are demonstration stunt videos, but not any sparring/fighting videos. We are like the first generation of people that know how to use media equipment lol, so I hope that more videos area available soon.

Most fighting wc videos i have seen are fakes (not wing chun) or simple sparring of amatures. if anyone here is in WC and has a camera, please film your sparring and fighting!

For general information visit:
    http://www.wingchunkwoon.com

5. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

We can only fear the worst. Best warm up the flame form... :rolleyes:

Master J, real fights with skilled martial artists seem to be rarely caught on tape, as I suppose most self-respecting martial artists avoid situations where videotaping would happen.

...and I'd avoid stoking the coals under the "ring fighting is useless for real combat" argument. If you insist upon it, I'd recommend reading the ENTIRE Your Kung Fu in Combat Sports thread.

6. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Just out of curiosity .. as a police officer, how often do you get into hand-to hand fighting in a real life situation?

7. Light_bringer77

Light_bringer77 Valued Member

You guys are asking for it :rolleyes:
    He only wanted to know about people who used it in real life situation, outside of competitions. Though he did competition was not reallistic, that was not the point of this thread... ;)

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

works very well. if done right wing chun ends the fight very fast because it a strike and counter based system done at the same time. thats why bruce lee kept the core striking system for jeet kun do because its no like it. p.s. bruce lee did not come up with the one inch punch it was already in wing chun and it rocks the hell out of a person!

9. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Honestly, very rarely. It has occured about 7 times in the past 4 years and mostly in a Bar setting i.e...pay jobs at bars. I have had 2 very close calls that come to mind where lethal force could of and would have been used if the equation was not equalized by split decision and immediate intervention. I want to come home at night just like everyone here does, with no more holes added to my body. Also truth be told, I'm not getting any younger. I'll be 45 this Feb. I have to train all over exercises to be able to compete with those folks in their mid 20's, and that's no easy feat. That is the reason I train on a regular basis with Martial Arts and my overall program requires weight training, intensive cardio, diet boxing trappling and grappling as well as implementing stick and knife fighting drills. I work very closely with area SWAT TEAMs on many close range techniques and additionally provide seminars to professionals on "Street Smart Awareness.

When these "Hand to Hand fighting" incidents arise, the men and women in blue are the ones who have to respond there's no choice. a civilian can choose the smart route and avoid these confrontations, however, we are not permitted the same option.

Kew-Do

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  10. Angelus

hehe i always wondered because most cops can pull their pistol and the suspect usually gives up at that point... its good that you are training lol... most cops your age ( the ones i see here) are fat, out of shape, and live up to the coffee and doughnuts image...

11. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

LOL...........I can't argue with the truth. I think there are more officers that are thinking more about physical fitness, however, you're right. Real police work is not flashy like you see in the movies. Depending on where you live, an Officer can spend 80% of the time on patrol sitting on his in their cruiser. When I train officers I tie their physical training /Para-combat training to "Life or car" insurance. You may complain about paying the rates but it's sure nice to have if you ever have to use it.

Kew-Do

12. Angelus

My friend is doing police foundations and one day we were talking to an officer at a fair lol ... the guy said "This is what you're looking at 10 years from now (points at belly lol) ... dont be lazy, be a bicycle cop."

13. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Yes especially if he or she eats all of that rich "Fair Food". Diet and exercise is a "Life Choice". To not invest in it makes no sense to me especially if your career at one time or another requires you become physical as in Law Enforcement. I do like the (Sausage Sandwiches) though.....can't eat'em but they sure smell great don't they?

Kew-Do

14. Angelus

*GASP* u dont eat those sausage sandwiches?!?! *GASP*
    Is police physical test really difficult?

15. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

No.....I dream about it though! and cake, and pie, and and and................Thanks a lot Angelus....now you have me thinking of foods I shouldn't eat!

I bet you can eat what ever you want and not gain a pound....guys like you make me sick. I don't know if you read my Bio, I am in to Body building / Sculpting.....When I cut up I can get to around 5% body fat and shred up very well. The path to get to this syage is not fun.....4 to 5 meals ( Cardboard ) well it should be it's pretty basic meals.

The Police academy has certain physical test that the cadet MUST pass. This is based on your age as well. YES it is very demanding. Too bad the same criteria is not requested after an Officer is Commissioned with a department. Some departments do and SWAT does but most PD's dont.

I teach at the Stark State Police Academy in Canton, Ohio.... Here is another course I provide with OPOTA, along with the Forensic and Criminology /Psychology courses ...

http://www.starkstate.edu/ATC/conted/courses/CE_lawenforce.htm

16. Angelus

Lol man id gain pounds every time i ate a peice of cake...
    I guess i decided to get back into shape a little while back because i couldnt run lol
    worked very well :D now i cant take a month break from training - which i did during christmas season :D and eat eat eat and still be same weight :D
    5% bf?!?! dam i cant do that lol... any tips on getting there? i eat 5-6 meals anyways. i need a good routine to do that but dont know... it would also help if i could swim lol ... but im a rock :(....and i also refuse to take those protein shake things

17. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Well I did notice that you like to sleep a lot, I'm sure that helps you.

By the way, living in Canada, do you ever get the chance to watch "South Park"? it's one of my favorite toons.

My ancestors ( some are from Quebec )..( others from Nova Scotia) are Canadian Indian....I have Native Canadian Indian blood running through my veins. Have you ever heard of the Cree and Micmac Indians? well I'm one of them.

Kew-Do

18. Angelus

Oh i know a guy who is Cree. Dude u should have lived here lol. My friend gets discounts EVERYWHERE! I watch a bit of SP. But i think Simpsons raised me :D
    yes sleep is good lol ... not been getting all that much lately bc of school :(
    But any suggestions on a cario routine?

19. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Question from Angelus...

"Any suggestions on a cardio routine?"

Yes...

It really depends on your body, diet, likes, dislikes, and any previous injuries, if any?

PM me so you can give me your e-mail address, and I will get back to you with some ideas...

Kew-Do

20. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Only one thing, since the only things I can recommend are things that work for me, and maybe not for you. Make sure that whatever you do, you enjoy. It might be a little less than an optimum workout, but since you enjoy it, you keep doing it, and then maybe move on to a more optimum workout later.

I always tell everyone, "Whatever you do, have fun with it!".