Wing Chun Turning in Biu Ma & freeing from specular hand wrist grabbing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by FraTsun, Jan 12, 2021.

1. FraTsun

FraTsun New Member

Hello everybody. Been reading the forum for some time and finally chose to post.
    I practiced 1 year of judo, not my style, and now it was, before covid, almost 1 1/2 year practicing WC Leung Ting Lineage.

While training by myself with non-kung fu instructed people I found it useful, because of how you find elements of your technique to improve and similiars, there really are the two things in the title that are puzzling me.

My Sifu always used to say that Yuen ma/Iras/Horse stance CAN actually be used to fight, because how it allows you to turn your hips to dicharge stronger incoming power on the one leg and because of how from this position we can freely choose which leg to kick with, and that groin exposed is not a problem because you just can bong gerk/tan gerk/kick/go in Biu Ma, I cannot stoo thinking that leaving groins exposed is crazy. In fact, on internet, I found out most say Yuen Ma is a TRAINING ONLY stance.
    Very good. But what now with hips turning we train so much ? In Biu Ma of course it's impossible to rotate on a centerline axis, so how do I ground-discharge the the energy of side coming attacks, when needed ?

Second question, I am fine with freeing myself if wrist grabbed by opponent's same hand (i.e. his right-my right) by simlpy Huen Sao outward and up over my opponent wrist himself, finding the leverage to break the grab or to control him. However, despite our Sifu explaining it (just once, honestly) and searching some online tips, I struggle very much to free from opposite hand (my right -opponent left). I tried with the same technique, but the grip is always too strong to let my cricling complete over his wrist. I know about bong/elbow control over opponent arm to free mysel and backfist, but I don't always succeess and I do remember our Sifu showed us a way to do it just with hand, just don't remember what it is and can't ask now. I tried with Kau Sao without remaining in the centerline, going more outward and found out this way I can disrupt opponent grab and position, even getting behind him, but I don't think this is very movement-economical.

Any tips about the two questions ? Thanks a lot.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Twist your hand to against your opponent's thumb (1 finger).

Mushroom likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've seen a lot over my years in kungfu training, the message of stance.

One item I would say about stances, is in sparring or fighting you are unlikely to be in a static position for a period of time, stances are used in training as part of drills, but in live they will be transitional.

This stance I can't say I've ever seen used much in combat myself, maybe others have used it.
    One of the purposes for this was "protect the groin" from an upward kick.
    But what about a straight kick to the groin, or a knee?
    The position itself makes it difficult to transition from, your legs can be attacked (thigh kick).

That's not to say it doesn't have advantage, having the knee turned in can help cover, the San Chen stance with the knee inward back stance is used in similar way as a main stance for fighting/sparring.

Also welcome to the forum :)

hewho likes this.
  4. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

likewise I’ve found that the stance is good for training purposes mainly. In an actual fight you likely won’t be static for long, if you even see it coming. It does serve as a great training aid for a variety of reasons though.