Wing Chun to Muay Thai...

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by viperc0n, Oct 25, 2005.

1. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

I suppose the fight occurs more in the mind of fantasizers. :love:

2. RazorKaine

RazorKaine Valued Member

Mmm... are you sure you did Muay Thai? ;-)
    We are taught grappling, you know... I've seen people catched by Muay Thai fighters clinching and they got tons of knees and elbows on various parts of the body, pushed from one side to the other like dolls. The best thing is that you DON'T let someone exit your grappling until you almost make him unconscious with hits.
    BTW I join the faction of people on this post that say that comparison of different martial arts (and artists) is futile and without sense.

3. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

Actually, I have more fights than I should have. The ring fights I did back when I was 18 were not what I was looking for and so I took to more practical fighting systems like wing chun and ninjutsu. My strongest art is wing chun then Muay Thai, then Ninjutsu.

I still practice Muay Thai today but refuse to go in for tournies or cage matches.

I've had a lot of fights (for some reason, muggers like attacking me!!), and won some, lost some.

Wing chun is the only art that I have found can cope with an aggressive fighter at close quarters. Thai boxing offers knees, elbows and sweeping fists, but are hard to do against an aggressive attacker.

Given a bit more room you can pull it off but why take the chance of getting swept or hit. Trap the guy, close in, beat him down and use your Thai kicks to finish him off!!

4. Psywire

Psywire New Member

How long did you do wing chun for?

Wow, you believe wing chun lacks blocking? I find the wing chun blocks to be highly effective. I mean, the whole idea of wing chun is "block and strike" so they work in combination.. If they throw a round punch, throw a Bil Sau or Lap Sau and strike, then Gan Sau Strike -> Lap Sau strike and either take out a leg, elbow, or the neck.

As long as you have control of the centre line and have the blocks correct, it shouldnt be a problem...

5. Playful Giant

I have done wing chun for around 15 years (different schools).

Wing chun does have blocks (more diversions than force blocks). I am getting lost on this thread - could you refresh me where I mentioned that wing chun has no blocks?

6. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Point taken.

7. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

lol. I went to Covent Garden between February and around May or June.

8. Topher

Topher allo!

Exactly. Also, an untrained person would probably try to grab kicks or go in for a tackle. If you close in quick you can control them more.

9. Topher

Topher allo!

Well another problem is gloves for examples. We often train open hand strikes and traps etc and gloves limits or stop them.

10. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I don't get it :confused:

You're 24, right. You say you've been doing WC for 15 years, yet you say that 6 years ago you took up a more practical system like WC. :confused:

11. lordazazel

lordazazel Valued Member

As a few of us suggested earlier in the thread, this guy was one step short of troll status. I think it's fair to say that he's now taken that step. ;) Of course, I'd like to see how he explains Bruce Lee's decision to form JKD, after realising the limitations of WC....? Maybe Bruce never had a fight in a phonebox, though. :D

As a Thai Boxer myself, I know that MT is not perfect. But to say that WC is vastly superior, based on no solid evidence to back it up, is ludicrous. Why are we even persisting in giving this guy the attention he so desperately craves? :rolleyes:

12. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Boy, there are so many things here. And it's been years since I did Wing Chun. Well, here goes...

Wing Chun's greatest strength is that it's principle based and has some understanding. Its greatest weakeness IMNSFHO is the mistaken belief that since it has those nobody else does and therefore nobody else can fight nearly as well. The whole "Good Wing Chun is Invincible" screed goes back decades. It was bogus then. It is bogus now. Wing Chun is quite good at its game in its range. It is as weak as anything else outside of its specialties. If you can make the other guy play your game you have an advantage. Otherwise he will eat your lunch unless you can play his better than him.

PlayfulGiant is just following along in the footsteps of these great luminaries. We should pay him no more mind than we did them.

Of course, the True Wing Chun Believer, like any True fill-in-your-style Believer, believes that what he does has no weaknesses and its strengths can effortlessly deal with whatever the other guy throws at him. With WC/WT/VT it tends to be "Our trapping range skills, chain punching and sticky appendage skills are so l33t that we can effortlessly dissolve away whatever the other guys do standing up, on the ground or swinging from the chandeliers." Add in a good dose of "They don't have a centerline theory" and you have the makings of the sort of arrogance that can get you a quick nap in a fight.

An untrained person might try to grab a kick or go for a tackle like Homer says. A trained person might, too. The difference is that the trained person has a very good chance of pulling it off. The open hand strikes and trapping sensitivity actually make sense. If you control the line (not necessarily centerline) and the distance it doesn't matter what configuration your hand is in. A hard hit is still a hard hit. Hand and forearm sensitivity are reduced by gloves. That's one of Wing Chun's weaknesses. Students tend to have all their sensitivity there. Lord knows I did when I did WC. It makes sense given WC's specialties. A more sophisticated teacher develops body sensitivity. You learn to feel with whatever is touching. More to the point, you develop a good center and good body connection so that you can feel what is happening through other parts. Shoulder and hip, elbow and knee, palm and sole. With practice you can feel what someone's doing to your upper body through the sole of your foot or the muscles in your back.

If your WC is good enough to alleviate his Thai kick, stop his elbows and knees and keep him from ever getting a clinch you have a chance. If you can't do all of those you are hosed. And you have to be able to dish out enough punishment to avoid all of those until he falls down or decides it isn't fun anymore. That can be a very long time for someone in the kind of shape a typical Thai boxer is in.

13. Topher

Topher allo!

I totally agree, there are weaknesses just as there are weaknesses in all martial arts, but no one here has ever said it is the best style.

I think we can all say most street altercations are pretty much in your face, close in situations. This is the main range for Wing Chun, hence why i train in it.

With grabbing kicks, a lot of styles dont allow this in training or sparring so even a trained martial artist might not be able to pull it off.

14. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I don't think PG is a troll, he knows more about WC than me and seems to have connections.
    I just don't understand his timeline that's all.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Most of his arguements fell apart long before he posted that gem about his years training WC. :D

I doubt he's ever actually fought a Muay Thai fighter... he certainly wasn't able to back up any of his post's with name or fight records.

Pffttt!!!!

You know right where that stands. BS.

16. Playful Giant

I don't want attention. Bruce Lee formed JKD because there are gaps in the wing chun system that he was taught. Unfortunately, as most people will tell you, Bruce Lee only did a few years worth of wing chun training before leaving for America. He was never shown the third form, and there is a story that when Brucie was famous he came back to Hong Kong and pleaded with Yip Man to show him the entire system. By then he was a big film star and offered Yip Man a lot of money. Despite Yip Man's rep as a money grabber, he declined and sent Bruce packing.

Even today, we still see major gaps in the wing chun system . That is why our Sifu is a highly ranked BJJ practitioner and a good Thai fighter. You can't use wing chun alone.

I never said that wing chun was the best out there and I have certainly said that I enjoy Muay Thai.

To clarify, I did wing chun on and off for 15 years. During this time I was doing other styles as well, including karate, ninjutsu, boxing, judo and Thai Boxing. I finally settled for wing chun, and only started getting intense 6 years ago.

As for wing chun being invincible - what happens when you put two wing chun fighters against each other? Will it be a draw? No.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

How on earth did I miss the gem?!

I knew somehow you'd work Ninjutsu into this, I abso-fricken-lutely knew it.

ROTFLMAO!!!

All of your post's here have had that www.realultimatepower.net feel to them.:D
    As for if two WC guys went head to head... according to what you've posted earlier (and Ikken now has as his signature) is that "WC is a fight to the death!" so if they did go head to head there would be one guy standing there knock kneed and the other guy dead! :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  18. Playful Giant

I don't understand what you are trying to say..??

I am certainly no great kung fu master, Ninjutsu master or such like. I have been training for a long time and seen some great things. People ask for an opinion, I give it. I will not have seen it all. What I have seen is Thai boxers get beaten up, wing chun guys get kicked in, BJJ guys being hit in the face and being knocked out.

I have also seen wing chun guys fight good ring matches with MMA, BJJ guys win the UFC and Thai Boxers beating the sh*t out of bigger guys and producing the quality seen in the film Ong Bak

Exactly which would prove the point that WC is not invincible

19. RazorKaine

RazorKaine Valued Member

I agree totally.
    And I add: try to stop a thai roundhouse kick and probably you'll say goodbye to your arms bones.

20. ED-209

ED-209 Valued Member

I have been unable to use my right arm at all due to a training injury so have not read this post since page 4 due to my inability to move the mouse

Arm is only the road to recovery now, so just read the last 6 pages

Ha Ha Ha He He Ho :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Playful giant, you are my hero, have you ever considered stand up
    This post is very entertaining
    I like the bit were the fight team get assaulted in the bar