Wing Chun to Muay Thai...

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by viperc0n, Oct 25, 2005.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!:D
    Yeah that would be a rough and tough, kickin' ass and takin names later, no prisoners type of signature! :D
    Go for it!

2. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

Actually, I don't really like martial art films. I prefer cartoons.

There was a hint of sarcasm in my statement. My point is that when people see talented wing chunners going for it, they see a couple of guys rolling their hands around. For example, in the film Equilibrium (does that count as a kung fu flik?) the bad guy and good guy at the end were basically doing chi sao (watered down version). Friends I know always say that it was crap to watch.

People watch Tai Boxing and UFC because they are a sport. There is a very small practical application of these arts in streetfighting

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah, kneeing someone in the face isnt very effective really

4. slipthejab

come on bro... at least spell Thai correctly. Thai... not Tai. :D

Ok, that being said... yeah I guess Muay Thai is fairly useless in the street. Come to think of it I see Muay Thai fighters getting the beatdown all the time. It's a shame really. Some of the hardest men in the ring you'll ever meet... but they step on the pavement and it all goes out the window. I've seen 'em get bullied, have their candy taken away and lose every last bit of their milk money.

Maybe there should be a self help group. Ya know Muay Thai Anonymous.
    Then we could go on fieldtrips to see WC boys rock 'n roll. They stroll the streets with impunity... putting down anyone and everything in their path.

Is that the WC crowd rockin' up or is it just another boy band?
    :D

5. Playful Giant

You jest, but my mate who is a trained Muay Thai fighter was having a coke in a bar on Saturday with four of his instructors. These 'hardest men in the ring' got beaten up and sent to casualty by a group of drunk guys.

Street fighting is completely different to ring fighting. You train to engage your opponent under set conditions and rules. You are not allowed to tackle your opponent or finger strike.

On the street it takes it to a whole new level. Can you honestly say that where you train they practice real self defence? Of course if you connect a knee or an elbow to your attacker in a street you are going to do some damage. However, it is not always a case of smacking them.

Realistic fighting onvolves training against people who shout at you, people who grab you, people on pure aggression, people who do not go down when you hit them!!!

As for the WC boy band, that was Wang Chun not Wing Chun. I'm more of a Backstreet Boys fan

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

wow so THATS what we have been doing wrong all this time! I for one am guilty of this- every time i get hit i fall to the ground, hell everyone in our gym does it- one of our most deadly techniques!

seriously man, give it up.

7. Playful Giant

You appear as though you have never been in a real fight. There are people out there who do not go down when you hit them (unless you've been training with pansies).

People on adrenaline are very very dangerous. One day you'll learn this

8. slipthejab

LOL!:D
    And your mate represents all of Muay Thai eh? And since when did anyone with common sense make the case that Muay Thai could handle multiple attackers?

And to be honest... who is your mate? What gym is fighting for and what's his record? What sanctioning body has he fought under? Surely they'll have records right? :D

LOL! :D
    Who are you kiddin'?! Yeah I remember the last time I could have punched someone in the throat - but I held back becuase I didn't want to get a point taken off... he kicked my teeth out. :D I was in the hospital still waiting for the ref to make the call. LOL!

You are fast attaining a troll status around here. Your post is nonsense at best. Be forewarned you are straying dangerously into flame territory... :D

9. Playful Giant

What the hell is a troll?

It seems that you will not give up in your deluded belief that any Muay Thai fighter can beat anyone.

You have raised poor arguments against my honest points. I have helped defend both wing chun and muay thai in the past, but you seem to think that Muay Thai rules the world. Why is there a shortage of Muay Thai UFC fighters if you claim they are so good? Wing Chun admits that it cannot cope as a ring sport as it is an art and powerful self defence. Maybe you should be a little bit more humble in future and realise that Muay Thai could not cope as a self defence.

Goodbye

10. slipthejab

Your the only on rambling on. Go back and read your own posts. Your assertions are silly. You have failed every time to back up what you post.

Your busy trying to KO assertions that no one is making. No one ever said that Muay Thai is the be all end all. You're professing to talk from a point of having studied both WC and MT but you somehow seem to think that all MT skills goe out the window when the fighter steps off the canvas and onto the street.

Were still waiting for the names of your mates and the gyms they train MT under. Ya know the ones that got so badly hurt the other night - as in your post.

Until you start to actually back up what you post don't expect anyone to here to take you very seriously.. they haven't so far.

11. lordazazel

lordazazel Valued Member

Hell of a team! ;)

What! :confused: You mean ring-fighting isn't street fighting? Wow, what a revelation! (*turns off sarcastic mode*) Why don't you tell us something we don't already know.... :rolleyes: As was said above, you are just one step shy of troll status here, I would advise you to err on the side of caution from now on. ;)

Seriously, you've been banging on Muay Thai ever since you entered this thread. I've stayed silent up until now, as I try to be respectful to other MA'ists. But your "revelations" have come with such little evidence to back them up, I really have to question whether you really believe the stuff you post, or whether you just enjoy an internet argument, to brighten up an otherwise dull day.

Just an observation here, but why is it that every time someone shoots down one of your arguments, you come up with another "story" which appears elaborate at best and at worst, a finely concocted tale. For example, when your MT Vs. WC argument was weakened, you introduce a story of how you "owned" an MT fighter in the ring. Then when we refute your claim that MT is useless in the street.... surprise! surprise! your MT friends got their butts kicked!

Not to mention your amazing achievement of having a fight in a phonebox. :D I bet that looks great on your CV, eh? :rolleyes: What will you think of next? "My next-door neighbour is an MT master and he got killed by cross-dressing 12-year old Bangkok Ladyboys on Jerry Springer last month..." :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  12. slipthejab

Playful giant,
    This would be the second time you brought your mates into the thread to back up your silly assertions - they are supposedly trained Muay Thai fighters... but not too suprisingly the second time you can't post stats, a gym name, a trainers name or even the name of the fighter and what circuit they're fighting in...

hmmm...

no coincidence me thinks. :D

'Nuf said.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  13. itchyfeet

itchyfeet Valued Member

Playful Giant - I smell Bullshido:

Muay Thai isn't useful in a real fight because you destroyed a Muay Thai'er AND one of your friends who's a MT 'er also got beat up by some drunks.

And to prove the fact that WC is great at close quarters, you've also had a fight in a phone box!!!

BS.

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Maybe we could start an adopt a MT fighter scheme, stop a few of the little fellas getting bullied?

;)

15. Playful Giant

Hey, they are training in your art...

What the hell is a troll!!

If you had got your face smashed in by an apparently crap wing chun fighter, would you want your names smeared over the public forum? The fighters put up a good fight until the last minute and have a good reputation. I am not about to ruin that. Secondly, it would reveal my otherwise anonymous identity.

Did I actually say I had a fight in a phone box? No. I said wing chun is capable of being used in a phone box and is known as 'phone box fighting' by idiots like you guys

I like Muay Thai for what it is - a ring sport. I train in it a lot and favour it for long range. However, put it up against a real streetfighter it would come unstuck

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

This thread has turned into too much of an argument. Its meaningless to have another style vs style :eek:

Labels are irrellevant, theres good and bad 'real streetfighters' in both WC & MT.

17. Playful Giant

It wasn't meant to be a style vs. style thread.

As I said I like Thai Boxing for wht it gives me. Someone started off that Thai Boxing was a better streetfighting art than WC which got me frustrated.

Thai Boxing is most definatley not crap.
    Wing chun is most definatley not crap.

They offer different things and that's where I'm leaving it

18. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

A troll is someone who posts utter garbage with the sole intention of inciting arguments, despite whether the views they post are their own or not. Someone actually wrote a whole article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

19. Playful Giant

Oh in that case I am the troll king. All hail!!

20. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Yes.

From post no.49 on page 4;