Wing Chun Roundhouse Defense

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Sketco, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melb

melb Banned Banned

Oh man, put your calculater away Simon. I've sparred with my teacher for 13 years, give or take a year or two. Sometimes once a week, sometimes twice. Each time we spar for about 40 mins after drills for 40 mins. then 10 mins to wrap up. Bear in mind that this was sparring with a guy who knows what he was doing. Compare this to most people here whove trained 5 years maybe and sparred for 20 mminutes maximum twice a week with someone who doesnt know what they're doing. Theres a big difference.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

ah the technique and set up are different.
    you can use a thai kick at closer ranges but you may get caught, its best done just inside punching range, not trapping range as i suspect the WC kick is done.
    explains why melb thinks roundhouses are slow.

this is was cross training is necessary, learning different phases is essential to actually learning to fight.

@melb - you will want to read my previous post before you carry on this discussion

3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Sorry, I only read the first and last pages so this has probably already been covered but...

That first video is similar to something I have seen in capoeira and that we have in ninjutsu(arm isn't rotated that way though) but the angle to the incoming kick is different. The things demonstrated work fine if the guy is kicking like that(more like a sidekick) but against a real roundhouse would be kind of dangerous. We also have the kick the supporting leg idea, evasion techniques and jumping in and punching the guy as well.

The way the guy on the right is blocking is fine unless your opponent is Hoost and you are LeBanner, in which case you are asking for a broken arm. If you have time to stand there and block, you have time to move.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Unfortunately for melb, this is the fellow he was sparring with all this time.

[​IMG]

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Nice points Please reality. The jump in and punch is a counter I like against a round kick, sometimes it comes after evading a kick, sometimes while the kick is coming, and sometimes I might briefly catch a kick first.

Something about rear and front round kick speed to consider is that it isn't if the leg is on front or back but can be more so which leg is being used.

In many regards the left leg should feel lighter and faster than the right leg from training. Just as the left hand generally is used to jab, the left leg is often used for repeated round kicks... it doesn't matter if it is front or rear leg. People tend to weight more on their right side.

Try it out for yourself as everyone is different but I bet many of you will find your left leg round kick feels lighter and faster than your right leg round kick whether you are left leg forward or left leg back and then kick.

I bet that you will find axe kicks and crescent kicks are faster on your right foot than with your left...

This has to do with the way people train and naturally align their body and how they distribute their weight during techniques.

Of course, not everyone is the same and I could be wrong... this should be treated as opinion but I did learn this from others, so if wrong, there is more than just me that would be wrong, just saying.

6. melb

melb Banned Banned

Bozo the clown eh? Kuma, seeing as you think your'e a bear, why dont you find a nice iceberg, drift out to sea and then drown like the climate change nutters tell us will happen? Ive actually got a friend who thinks climate change is so real he's sold his car (in 2 years no cars on the road he reckons). Makes the delusions among MAP people seem mild! Hehe

7. Mangosteen

oh god.
    oh god.
    oh god.

climate change... not real...

oh god...

it seems you are not so smart

EDIT:
    it explains why you didnt understand the simple biomechanics i was explaining or math for that matter.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. melb

melb Banned Banned

haha..oh man..our youth have been indoctrinated by Al Gore. God help us.

9. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Better Al than Tipper.:cool:

10. Mangosteen

oh no.
    I don't believe in climate change.
    It's a liberal conspiracy like fast roundhouse kicks

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

In case of climate change, Bozo the clown can be used as a floatation device. :p

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Reading comprehension FTW. Melb you didn't get challenged I told you there was a standing offer for you to test out your simple minded theory about how to stop roundhouse kicks. It's there... you can take it or leave it. It's a no brainer as I don't see you getting out of the fantasies in your head let alone out of your city. So it's not really ever going to happen. But it's there for you if by some cataclysmic event you actually tried to put your BS to the test.

You go on and on and on about what you would do.. what you could do... what you should do. But it's your own deep seated insecurities and your ego that won't allow you to admit you really have zero clue what your on about.

There are plenty of places in Melbourne to train against guys who know how to throw a roundhouse kick. But in order for you to train in that environment you have to step back from the keyboard... let go of your mothers apron strings and actually go train something in reality... not in the fantasy landscape of your sniveling delusional dreams.

13. melb

melb Banned Banned

Yep...and if you've read any of my previous posts you'd see I've alrrady andwered your question.. my own deep seated insecurities..my ego...? does what I say bother you?

14. melb

melb Banned Banned

You are one ANGRY man slip...GRRRR

15. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

You know my gym teacher had an answer for continuous quarrels. He'd take to two kids into the gym, give them boxing gloves and mouthguards, tell them they could fight it out or stop right then but that either way their scrap was over.
    Seeing as you aren't likely to employ the former.. stuff it boys.
    ..and slip, adding logs to a fire does not put it out. Do you want to prove you're right or do you want him to shut it?

16. melb

melb Banned Banned

Just for your infomation I actually spent 5 years in Asia before I came home, married and had a daughter.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Apparently you can't do WC in gloves....Scary Spice says so ;) :)

18. melb

melb Banned Banned

Scary Spice? Are you some kind of auto trans dip stick?

19. Mangosteen

and that is relevant to the topic of roundhouse kicks because...

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No I would be Dr. Lecter - or "Elephant Rider" if you want to get weird (and wrong but still relevant)

See those little smiley things? They indicate jokes and high jinks - see your post above? That indicates a sense of humour failure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.