Wing Chun defense against a MT-style roundhouse

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by RAGINGbuddha, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

That's just a matter of numbers. If there are a thousand schools for martial art X and 999 of them are mcdojos, it's going to give X a very bad reputation. That doesn't make it any less effective as it's taught in the 1 good school.

2. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

Response to Homer J. Simpson

A clinch is a good move if you like staying in one place. It is a real position, yet it is not something we are usually taught in WC style. I know exactly what a clinch is, and I know how to escape it, counter it, and over-ride it.

We definitely should avoid the clinch before it becomes a joint manipulation, a takedown followed by a pin, an arm lock/head lock & possibly even worse...

In Wing Chun kuen, we are usually focusing at evasion skills even at an early and basic stage of developement. I may still be looking forward to the second form, though I would definitely try to spar or train with Muay Thai long enough to see how they approach a fight. You can grapple without ending up in a clinch, it just takes a little more intuition.. :cool:

3. Topher

Topher allo!

Who said anything about staying in one place? In a clinc there would likely be tugging and pulling.

I wouldn't really initiate a clinch as i would like to keep it simple and direct - strike and leave, but should i be grabbed in the clinch i would like to know how to deal with it. Wing Chun deals in close quarters fighting which is about a close to a clinch besides the clinch itself. Even if you won't go into a clinch, they might.

Where did you learn to fight in the clinch?

How can clinch become a joint manipulation :confused: you've lost me there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  4. ori-mental88

ori-mental88 Valued Member

The clinch (or standup grappling) isn't a bad thing at all. As a WCKF practioner is seeking some form of contact, that is exactly what we get when we engage in a stand up grapple! I think the joint maniplutaion comes from the fact your have the potential of applying some sort of joint lock

5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

But due to marketing 990 of the 999 poor ones think there school is the real deal.

6. Sonshu

You instigate it - grab an arm and bend it the wrong way.

7. Topher

Topher allo!

We were doing that this evening, although you move from the clinch into the lock.

8. Sonshu

Thats what I meant sorry if it did not make sence.

9. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

You can hyper extend an arm while holding someone in a joint manipulation within the clinch!?!??!? :eek:

10. Sonshu

Sadly yes you can! lol

11. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

what about if you catch a roundhouse kick? Can you hyper extend the lower half of his leg??

12. Sonshu

If you can accuratly catch a round house kick then your one special guy as I am do it once in a blue moon and would not fancy my chances catching a limited experienced persons kick let alone someone who knew what he was doing.

I agree if you can you could do it but the hard bit is catching it before your ribs or head cave in.

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

gotta disagree sonshu. catching kicks is a big part of muay thai defense against them. in fact we do a fair bit of work on what to do WHEN someone catches your leg.

14. namaste

namaste New Member

I asked my si-hing in privates a question similar to this one.

I asked, "Can Garn sau be used?" and then he kicked me in the side of the stomach with his shin, and needless to say my garn sau didnt work.

So then he showed me some ways that could possibly work. My kicks would be nothing compared to anyone training in Muay Thai, but I still gave it all I had and the techniques still seemed pretty effective.

Using a Lower Bong Sau and Wu Sau, I'm not really sure why, maybe he used his wu sau as kind of a buffer for the bong sau, but when he used both at the same time whilst stepping in, my kick was deflected efficiently enough and he was able to come in whilst I was open and off-balance.

Again, using the Lower Bong Sau and Wu Sa, he moved into some other dealy where he basically lifted my leg up and pushed me forwards, sending me across the room.

Lastly, he just came straight through me and pushed me. And over I went.

These things probably wouldn't work on even a half decent kicker I'm guessing, and there is obviously gonna be ways to counter anything that you do, but I dunno, its some loose ideas I guess, or something.

:confused:

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

theres nothing wrong with using muay thai defensive techniques against a muay thai technique guys- its probably going to be the most effective since it was designed with that very thing in mind. unless you have some kind of qualms about taking another arts techniques, in which case you might want to drop self defense and take up being a sook

16. namaste

namaste New Member

Hey man, If I knew some, I'd probably try and borrow them and adapt them! :p

17. Sonshu

When I did Thai the stressed the not catching of kicks and concentrating on defence and offence strictly never trying to catch it as the tempation is to catch and then you run the risk of getting nailed (cro cop style) or decker style.

I think all things aside as in MMA you do train closing and taking legs as with Sombo there are some awsome leg locks that come from a caught kick. Hard bit is catching a full on kick and I would not do it.

I guess its my preference but I doubt people will often catch my kicks and they should hurt like hell if they do - then I grapple.

18. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I disagree, if your going up against a guy who knows Thai boxing you ain't gonna beat him by trtying to defend Thai style against what he does, then it just comes down to wether he's a better Thai fighter than you (Which he definetly will be if you are just imitating his techniques).

Me personally, if someone threw a Thai kick at me I like to think I would go for a takedown because quite frankly, stuff staying standing with a Thai boxer, I would try and knock him down or maybe throw him if I thought I had the chance to. But the main point would be to stop fighting stand up with him as fast as possible.

19. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Gee; I can't believe this thread is still going on while simple answers have been given as soon as the first page!

Either I dodge out of the way or I get in close (there, either I grab the leg, I push torso or I punch the face, depending on the situation). It's not specific to any martial art, and it works.

The Thai roundhouse comes out a little slower than the straightforward roundhouse, but its added strength (from the additionnal ground it covers) makes it especially good against blocks and lateral dodging. So that why I can't think of anything better against it than moving forward or backward.

20. Sonshu

Plenty of people gave answers its just knowing which is good or which is bad. If martial arts was as simple as I move forward and push him over then I would not have wasted over a decade on it.