wing chun and jeet kune do

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Fujian Animal, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It is a million miles away!

Yes he wanted to put a message acorss, but they are movies - just that. His aim in them was to entertain.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree.

3. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

am curious what is mizhongquan? did sijo lee ever learn it? this is a jing wu form or a style? what is relationship to praying mantis and eagle claw? where is jeet kuen quick fist originate before jing wu?

and yes agree that eagle mantis jeet kuen bears no resemblence to bruce lee JKD or even to the jun fan kung fu style i learn is much different but sifu glover do say bruce demonstrated jeet kuen in seattle

4. Hannibal

Bruce could demonstrate many forms - it does not mean he was well versed or even advocating the originating style of said form

5. Fujian Animal

what is mizhongquan mean? and why is also sijo lee demonstrate different forms of different styles? he also demonstrate a southern white crane form i am familiar with, both on film during TV interview and also i saw in photograph of him demonstrating same form in his studio in seattle to his students in jun fan kung fu

6. Hannibal

Sijo was seeking "the common thread" - he picked up forms along the way and would use them to show or illustrate principles and concepts from the art he was demonstrating

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizongyi

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb50Ts9mYx0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb50Ts9mYx0[/ame]

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

To concentrate on Sijo Lee is missing the point.

8. Hannibal

Exactly - especially if you take it so far back in his development

That said, it is interesting from a purely historical perspective

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Lost track boxing
    ?My Jhong Kuen
    迷蹤拳
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGYaGAJRRA"]San Lu Mizong Quan (Lost Track Fist Third Line) - YouTube[/ame]

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

oops, the bottom half of Hannibal's post didn't display for some reason :(

11. Fujian Animal

no this is true i know you are right but was just curious that is why i asked

12. Fujian Animal

simon agrees with you, i do not

i mean yes, i agree with you that bruce lee's films were for entertainment purposes, but like i say he was reaching to different audiences, not just to entertain but also to enlighten

now but also it depends on what you mean by "a million miles away", because i am also agree that jeet kune do today is not jeet kune do back in the 1970's when sijo lee was still making movies, jeet kune do today is different and is headed in the direction we feel he was going when he passed away

kalikuntaw is right it's not about concentrate on bruce lee, it's focus on the art and evolving it and improving with it since then, going above and beyond where jeet kune do was in 1973

but also is important to remember that without bruce lee, there would be no jeet kune do, so remembering where he was at and how we got here is still very important..... almost like in a traditional chinese kwoon with a plaque on the wall remembering the founder of the style, it's all good history

13. Fujian Animal

14. Fujian Animal

so where do everyone feel is bruce lee's jeet kune do made up of today if he were still here? is it still primarily wing chun, boxing and fencing like bruce lee said, or has jkd evolved since then? am curious what some of your answers will be, since many people feel like "everyone has their own jkd", what do you think bruce's jkd would be?

15. Hannibal

So out if that "cocktail" you describe where are the kicks from?

16. Fujian Animal

wing chun

well, mostly wing chun, some say muay thai or savate, but i see wing chun, savate kicks are only good if you are wear shoes in my opinion, and muay thai kicks with shin and heel a lot, so i am see how they feel this way, but wing chun is also kick with the heel and shin a lot, savate kicks with toes which is why i say in my opinion is only good if wearing shoes, but of that specific "cocktail" i did not describe it was actually bruce lee himself who said it, i would say the kicks are modified wing chun kicks, but that is just my opinion, i dont have enough knowledge to say for sure

reference to that is in book by bruce lee, edited by john little, i think it was called "jeet kune do: bruce lee's commentaries on the martial way", i know was part of the bruce lee library series, volume 3, bruce lee himself say jkd is made up primarily of wing chun, boxing and fencing, but that was written in i believe 1970, dont quote me on that

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  17. Hannibal

They most certainly are not

The footwork is different, the set ups different and the delivery is different

18. Fujian Animal

i just saying what sijo lee say himself, so dont get mad at me for not knowing, i'm not the one who said it

but also think, and you're right, it is because sijo lee modified wing chun, so it was different, both structure and delivery like you say, was also told he was influenced in kicking by taekwondo and northern shaolin, but mainly what was taught to me is that bruce lee used as a foundation his many years in yip man style wing chun kung fu, so really the kicks are wing chun kicks which have been modified, was also told he invented some of those kicks himself without any influence, using principles he learned from fencing

but it was bruce lee himself who said jkd was made up primarily of wing chun, boxing and fencing, it wasn't me who said that

19. Hannibal

Sijo did not say his kicks were from Wing chun

Do you walk round barefoot very often? Otherwise why would you reject Savate?

You seem to have a thirst for knowledge - I like this. What you need to do is drop your preconceptions because you are pretty off the mark on a lot of them. When you have more experience you will see why.

20. Fujian Animal

no no not rejecting savate, i just say in my opinion savate is only good if wearing shoes, not that it is bad style or anything like that

i do lack experience so am learning and still do have lot of questions..... where do jkd kicks come from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.