wing chun and jeet kune do

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Fujian Animal, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

when bruce lee opened school in seattle he had taught jun fan kung fu to jesse glover and charlie woo and taky kimura and others
    when talked to sifu jesse glover in 2003 he said the style that sijo lee taught in seattle was mostly wing chun with praying mantis and jeet kuen set from older kung fu style in china
    what is jeet kuen? what set and what style? besides being a form, how is different from sijo lee's later jeet kune do? is jeet kune do influenced by older jeet kuen set?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Moved to the JKD Forum.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Jeet Kune was a form from Eagle Claw if I recall correctly. It was a relatively simple and fast form (called "Quick Fist" by the style)

There is no real connection (apart from Bruce obviously) between it and Jeet Kune Do other than the two words. The term JKD came about in a car journey with Bruce, Dan Inisanto and Larry Hartsell.

Cliffs notes version: The conversation was as to how Bruce had hit them so many times and he said he intercepted them. When asked what that was was called in Cantonese Bruce replied "Jeet Kune Do".

As a side note it became a synonym for something that was good "this car is JKD", "that food we are last night was JKD"

4. Hannibal

This is the form. As you can see it bears little to no resemblance to te execution of JKD from any branch

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnkY0mWM7ro"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnkY0mWM7ro[/ame]

5. Fujian Animal

this jeet kuen form is northern style? also did sijo lee keep any of original style he teach in seattle such as eagle claw jeet kuen or praying mantis when developed JKD in 1967?

also sifu jesse glover have passed away and have not been able to ask what praying mantis style sijo lee taught in seattle, does anyone know what set? i have practice southern style tong long kuen but not sure what system i only learn one form

6. Fujian Animal

this jeet kuen form is northern style? also did sijo lee keep any of original style he teach in seattle such as eagle claw jeet kuen or praying mantis when developed JKD in 1967?

also sifu jesse glover have passed away and have not been able to ask what praying mantis style sijo lee taught in seattle, does anyone know what set? i have practice southern style tong long kuen but not sure what system i only learn one form similar to wing chun

have heard wing chun always end with formlessness at highest level but have not gotten to that level yet

7. Hannibal

Yes and no is the paradoxical answer

JKD is the search for the "common thread" not simply almagamating techniques. There will be traces of the older systems conceptually, but not too much physically. JKD has no forms - although most instructors can show sil lum tao if pushed - so there will be even less of the form included.

Jesse did not do JKD - as you identified he did NCGF. The way JKD developed and continues to develop moved away from that. It is not that that does not work, more that Bruce saw it was limited and he sought something more.

No JKD'ers move like that form shown

8. Fujian Animal

have now seen northern eagle claw ying jow pai subset jeet kuen quick fist form

have searched the internet and found youtube of a different variation of jeet kuen form as subset of seven star praying mantis i think a northern style also from tai chi mantis, perhaps the same style different name also translated quick fist

9. Fujian Animal

have now seen northern eagle claw ying jow pai subset jeet kuen quick fist form

have searched the internet and found youtube of a different variation of jeet kuen form as subset of seven star praying mantis i think a northern style also from tai chi mantis, perhaps the same style different name also translated quick fist

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I assume one nice thing about JKD is you will have "globle" view about MA. You don't have to worry about the following questions:

- Does JKD have this?
    - Is this against JKD principle?
    - Is this really JKD?
    - What's the ancient root of JKD?
    - Is my JKD lineage better than yours?

Many style put restriction on themselves. It's nice to be able to say, "This is nice, I want it." then to say, "This is nice , but I can't have it. It's against my style principle."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  11. Hannibal

Actually JKD really DOES have to worry about those questions!!

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In what way? Can a JKD guy said, "I don't train hip throw (or single leg) because it's against JKD principle."? I assume Bruce Lee had started that integration, but he hasn't finished it yet.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  13. Fujian Animal

have read in tao of jeet kune do book 1975 by linda lee and dan inosanto using sijo bruce lee's notes that JKD is about wholeness which avoids partiality this means having no form but also give up the idea of no form as well and so JKD also allows its students to practice forms so that they do not become partial or boxed in to one way or idea is that true?

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The form itself is from Mizhongquan, it is part of various eagle claw and mantis syllabi through the Jing Wu Mun core syllabus (it's one of the Jing Wu 10 forms).

15. Hannibal

You do find those who (incorrectly) state "If Bruce didn't do it then it isn't JKD"

JKD is about efficiacy and simplicity and certain moves and dynamics do not fit into that mould. However, the paradox is that as MY JKD is different from YOUR JKD then as long as there is a logically tenable reason for including something then you are good to go.

16. Fujian Animal

have watched a video called bruce lee a warrior's journey by john little, the man who writes many of bruce lee's best books, film also features linda lee, taky kimura, dan inosanto, kareem abdul jabbar, jiddu krishnamurti and others has original footage from bruce lee's game of death not seen in raymond chow's 1978 movie entitled game of death

in the documentary says sijo lee's last film game of death was first time bruce lee sought to present his art JKD on camera to a large audience, many are sijo lee's students in the film including dan inosanto, kareem abdul jabbar and taky kimura, all trained in JKD by sijo lee himself

am think that the original game of death footage and script notes from a warrior's journey are best represent sijo lee's JKD as it was in 1973 during the final moments of his life as far as where JKD was going when he passed away, shows pagoda in korea with large buddha statue, represents buddhist philosophy in JKD, whereas pagoda symbolic of many things

pagoda has five levels, perhaps for five ways of attack in JKD, each level a different style, one for kicking style hapkido or taekwondo perhaps, second level by taky kimura for wing chun and praying mantis two close quarters trapping styles, third level for grappling style ji hon jae hapkido or aikido or maybe even jujutsu style, fourth level for dan inosanto uses kenpo karate and eskrima kali weapon style, but fifth level is kareem abdul jabbar who represents JKD jeet kune do the way of the intercepting fist

bruce lee plays the style of no style, the art of artlessness, the JKD man who surpasses even the notion of what is or is not JKD, who is not bound by way or limitation, bruce lee wears a yellow jumpsuit symbol of unorthodox uniform not confined to tradition or classical gi, bruce lee also showing subliminal play on tradition by presenting the notion of the tao in taoism, and by being a light to himself and not of others is krishnamurti's philosophy

bruce lee fights his way up each level the pagoda with help from two others, one guy who is brave but foolish, another who is clever but cautious, both representing yin yang and alterego personalities of bruce lee's character who is a balance of the two and thus represents the ultimate or complete warrior

particularly of interest is fight scene with dan inosanto in which bruce lee does two things, one he mirrors his opponent by doing the same exact thing dan inosanto does with the nunchaku, and two he uses european fencing to defeat kali sticks in battle, referencing how the bamboo whip is longer, more flexible and very much alive, subliminal reference to JKD methods

on the last level at top of pagoda is kareem abdul jabbar, twice the height of bruce lee with longer reach, representing the same style of interception or JKD, just like bruce lee in the film, only this time bruce lee wins by using no way as way, gives up the very notion of what is or is not in JKD and unlimits himself by exposing the opponent's weakness, this time using the enviroment itself as a weapon, in this case the light from the sun

very good movie, filled with hidden knowledge if you can find it, sijo lee had way of using subtle hints in his movies to present his art, particularly his last three films enter the dragon, return of the dragon and game of death

17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Ok, but what does this have to do with actual JKD? Remember the movies are flashy, not real JKD.

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I dunno man, I got awesome at Muay Thai by watching Ong Bak on loop while I was sleeping. I also occasionally go into a fugue state and just start elbowing people's skulls, but in my opinion it was worth it.

19. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

In that case, imma watch the Octagon!
    Ninpo And Tang Soo Do in one flick!

20. Fujian Animal

yes is true but also bruce lee is reaching appeal to different audience with his movies, first to chinese, also to kung fu fans, and thirdly to his students and followers in JKD

so stage JKD is little different from real JKD but all the element of real JKD philosophy is in movies like game of death and enter dragon, makes good compliment to real JKD training for serious student, sijo lee was not too much different charisma and attitude from what is seen in movies, and he himself say he want his films to have sense of realism, even teaches JKD and calls it JKD in longstreet TV series so i am opinion that there not too much different

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.