Wing Chun and Boxing together????

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rakim, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Hi everyone, I am currently doing a bit of boxing, and have been for the last few months, I feel that my punch has improved along with my confidence, and my fitness level is much better. I recently started Wing Chun as well, and decided to keep learning both. Is there any disadvantage to this? Will the styles contrast each other and confuse me when I get into a street fight? Or will it be an advantage that I have learnt a bit of both?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah, boxing will help you to forget that useless knock knee'd stance in Wing Chun! :D

*zips up flame proof jumpsuit!*

Why all the worry about getting into a street fight?!

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

boxing is useless for the street. i remember i once got into a fight in the street- 3 minutes in i went and at in the corner for a break and he kept hitting me! i looked around for the ref to give him a red card but nothing happened?!?!

4. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

go to your boxing gym and ask the best fighter in your sifu's weight class to fight or spar against your sifu. if both parties agree to fight, the blood bath will answer your question.

5. splodge

splodge New Member

I have done both boxing and wing chun at the same time and I think it will only help you as their are benefits to both systems. JKD takes boxing and wing moves and that is a very effective street fighting style so dont worry about getting confused.

The stances are totally different but with thought and common sense you can utilize both. With regard to the 'knock-kneed' stance, definetley practice that whilst training in wing chun as it strenghtens the correct muscles which will give you a solid rooted foundation against leg kicks and also will help you to understand the body mechanics of your WC punches.

Good luck!

6. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

You should know pretty quickly if it's causing any problems mixing the two. I don't think it would do any harm, and will just serve to increase your repetoire of ways of beating people up, which is always a good thing.

7. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

If I were to learn a 3rd martial art just to round it up, what would you suggest? I was thinking of either Judo, for the grappling skills, or TKD, just to involve a few kicks into my repertoire.

8. ~Natsumi Lam~

~Natsumi Lam~ New Member

no, i think it is wise to do more than one style. And do styles that are nothing alike so you can experience variety.

~NL~

9. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

Given the choices you have presented...

ditch the wing chun.
    start judo.

End of discussion.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

Drop the variety show and get a solid foundation in one art first.

LOL! Well put.

11. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

I'd try both and then decide which you like better and do that. Most people don't have my luxury of not having school and only having to work occasionally (and for a healthy chunk of change per hour, too!) so focusing on one may be best for the nuance.

12. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

That's the funniest thing I've heard since I got up, and that was over 40 hours ago! Bravo! :love:

13. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Second runner up for the funniest thing I've read since I got up, and all in the same thread too!

14. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

LOL this thread is indeed funny however seriously though I do agree that you should take up Judo etc but the decision is yours which to of the MA's to drop.

Best of luck and train hard all

Mike.

15. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

Unfourtunatly I have to agree with mr slip... choose one or the other, build a solid foundation in one first then look at trying the other, there are subtle, but important differences between the two styles (though they are more similar than not). Build a solid base which will allow for greater experimintation later

16. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

well.. your decision about which MA you should drop or take on, all depends on you, and what you really want to achieve..

You want to become a big bad ass, start lifting weights, continue boxing, and take on judo.

Wing chun is a great MA, but for as far as I know, doesn't pay as much attention to fitness, and physical strength as much as boxing does...

Judo is also a very sport/tournament based MA, so it will also pay a lot of attention on physical improvement..

You sound like you want to good on Th@ $tR33T..

do boxing, start doing Judo, drop wing chun..

daddy has spoken.

17. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

The one thing i HATE about martial arts is the gradings. That is one of the main reasons I chose Wing Chun, it's just continuous learning and improvement. I think that I will continue boxing and wing chun together, and take up Judo when I want to give one of them up. Thanks ppl! Please give more advice if you have any.......

18. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

I'd say the martial art you choose for your foundation depends on your body type and personality. height, weight, build, peaceful, brutal etc. Or it could depend on your learning options, which in this day and age is not likely, unless your in alaska :D