Wing chun Advice

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by starbug, Aug 9, 2011.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Why not?

Wing Chun did not magically appear out of nowhere looking just like it does today. It had to evolve and be developed. Who says you can't change it and still call it Wing Chun? I find this reasoning to be a load of bull and is exactly why wing chun has the rep it does.

:evil:

2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I do wonder who has the final say in these matters.

Surely not the guy on the receiving end. :whistle:

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I'm sure he's joking or wears a padded hat.

if you're head butting the body that only works on the ground, its hard to pull off standing.

I wonder too.

Alan Orr does WC and other stuff but many Chunners criticise it. And why do people listen to the Chunners that criticise it?
    Because the system is messed up. They use some "lineage" and undefined definition of WC.
    Fighting is fighting.
    Rather than label the style, label the environment, phase and range.
    WC works on striking and in usually in trapping range.
    The problem is that trapping range is only a temporary thing, you can quickly move in and out of it. Therefore WC relies on speed.
    WC is great in only trapping range while standing, nothing else.
    Its also not great at weapons, which trapping range is most useful in.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The irony is that trapping blends so beautifully with boxing and grappling when it is drilled appropriatley....but there is the rub I suppose

5. Mangosteen

exactly. its something that could compliment your grappling and striking, but its a temporary phase between the two, but to base an entire system around it and claim that its "complete" is insane.

6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

You're not going to do much damage with it probably, but it works pretty well as unbalancing technique.

Clearly, they need to settle it the old-school way. :fight1:

7. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

Wing chun is a conceptual art and is governed by a loose set of theories

Some of these theories mean that certain techniques from other styles would not be included. Things like centre line theory mean that an overhand right or roundhouse kick would ordinarily not be a part of wing chun

Yet, many federations exist which use more common sense approaches and basically use anything that works. If you do several traditional chun techniques and then find yourself in a position to do a headbutt, do it!

The trouble with that, is that people watching a video of a wing chun guy who uses a headbutt may argue its not wing chun (especially when its trying to demonstrate that wing chun works haha)

On the flipside to that, people often dismiss cagefighters as being no good in a streetfight, because they train for a sport. Generally, fighting in the street is more dangerous because an average bloke has the ability to stick a finger in your eye or tear at your flesh etc. But so does the cagefighter lol

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

We use headgear with faceshields in sparring because some of the people can't go to school/work with beat up face. This lets me do headbutts.

9. Mangosteen

the people who dismiss it arent other martial artists though like other MA guys or even WC dismiss WC - the people who dismiss MMA in a street fight have never actually fought or trained.

MMA might not be perfect for a street fight but it gives you experience and an edge just like boxing would.

compromising your centreline is in most MA's but WC takes it a set further by discluding valid techniques and using the centerline thing as the measure of WC.

good to hear there arent derper WC places out there too