Wing chun Advice

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by starbug, Aug 9, 2011.

1. starbug

starbug New Member

Hi all,

I am a 36 yo fella with little MA study.
    Im quite muscular as i go gym 4/5 times a week and i am a pretty fast learner.
    Done a little Judo, Karate, Kempo jujitsu and boxing over the years.

At the moment looking for a WC teacher in London to study with and i wondered if any one can help.

I have narrowed it down to These...

Wing chun...

Allan orr + wing chun, grappling, kali
    Leo Au yueng = Traditional ip man WC and chineses kickboxing.
    Austin Goh

CAn anyone comment on the teachers, styles etc..

2. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Alan Orr without a doubt. Good system of teaching. Good teacher.

3. starbug

starbug New Member

Thanks,
    Have you studied under him?
    Im going to check put his class on wednesday.

i went to leo's class lastnight and i was quite impressed with him. He was a nice guy but i noticed not one person bowed to him.
    Is this normal in wing chun?

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

allan orr has a good understanding of the combat applications of wing chun that you'll find most WC guys dont really understand.
    theres no groundwork in WC therefore he has included grappling to his wing chun base.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I have a bjj friend who also does kung fu who says that Kamon is worth a look as well...

The comment to me was that they had the first WC that they felt could be made to work.

FWIW

LFD

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It is said that Kevin Chan challenged my WC teacher in the late 90s. It didn't go well for him.
    I'd say Alan Orr as well.

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Alan Orr produces people that can fight... of that there is documentation.

Kevin Chan is a progressive martial artist and he himself might be an excellent teacher so worth a look... as far as kamon as an org I trained in it for a bit about 7/8 years ago and it was just same old wingchun with same old wingchun culture.

8. starbug

starbug New Member

Thanks for the input guys,

I have decided against Krav maga for now.

I have seen Leo Au leung and im off to austin goh tonight.

still waiting for an email from Allan orr.

I like bob breens style and he's top bloke but its a little too far and time consuming to go everyday which i am a little gutted about.

will post up how it all went.

anymore input would be appreciated.
    Any other teachers you would reccomend in london.

9. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

Also check out the WSL guys (Jason Gowan)

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Alan Orr, because he actually trains fighters on a consistent basis.

11. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I'm going with Alan also. His people train to fight and are often put down in some of the WC forums for not having the real WC. That in my book counts for a lot as a former chunner. His is about the only school that competes in MMA.

12. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

Check Alan Orr and Kevin Chan out. My feeling is go with Mr Orr but it doesn't mean you shouldn't check out Mr Chan as well..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

THIS!

14. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Except that Kamon is a big org. so most likely you won't be taught by Kevin Chan.

If you are in London or York you have a good chance of being taught by Alan. But his instructors are very good anyway. Like I said the curriculum and teaching methods are good.

15. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Apparantly Kevin Chan teaches the class in Beckenham...

http://www.kamonwingchun.com/ClassInfo.aspx

I actually hated my experience of Kamon wing chun classes but Chan himself seems decent.

16. spaced

spaced Valued Member

Id also check out the UKKFF (UK Kungfu Federation) - www.ukkff.org

I train in Wing Chun/Tsun and Escrima under Sifu Lee Paul Heron. He is an amazing teacher and the club is fantastic.

17. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

Why did you hate your Kamon experience? How long ago did yu train?

Kamon is a very good wing chun group. I spent many years looking at various styles of wing chun, and Kamon is definately up there. Alan Orr is also fantastic, and is very progressive (Alan Orr attempted to bring wing chun into a competitive environment by hosting chi sao tournaments at SENI)

I would advise against Leo Yeung. My experience of him is not good (he claimed for a while that he was the sole choreographer for the Ip Man film. Now he has worded it as something like 'the only UK wing chun instructor under Ip chun to help choreograph the Ip Man film!!). His wing chun looks pretty impractical

In London, there is an array of good wing chun instructors.

As for training under Kevin Chan - he teaches almost every day!! Monday at Croydon, Tuesday at Beckenham, Wednesday is BJJ in Croydon, Thursday and Saturday at Portsmouth. But I can testify that every teacher at Kamon knows their stuff

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Wing chun advice? Learn to fight without flailing ineffectually with 'chain punches' and leaning backwards. Don't even touch it with an eight foot pencil. It's the only 'martial art' that's actually less effective than being fat. Don't bother.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

*cough* Choi Kwang Do *cough*

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

meh, at least they know they're awful. The wing chun people actually seem to think that screaming, wildly producing 'chain punches' and sissy low kicks etc. is superior to real martial arts.