Windows Phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mitlov, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm probably a thicko but spend/waste a lot of time moving my tiles around and resizing them for the best layout. Surely someone has done a guide/vid on this?

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Just like arranging icons or widgets in Android or furniture in a room, it's so personal and subjective that there's no one "right way" to do it.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

first off, you can't convince many people to do something different. you can try, but most likely, people will fall-back on whatever they've been doing for ages, even if it sucks. and windows sucks. i've been working on a computer every day since 1994, i couldn't wait to leave windows and haven't looked back for over a decade now. between mac and linux desktops and servers, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use windows in a professional capacity. none, zero, zilch. and i've administered systems too. and developed software.

secondly, as you allude, people will gloss over the problems they encounter on windows because they won't change. thirdly, don't change their mind. this is a windows thread. mitlov will just get mad at you and reverse troll you.

saying all this...

windows has two big things in it's corner: gaming, and visual studio. until you see lots more quality games on linux and mac, windows will always have an edge. and there are other great ides, but visual studio is still the king (rightfully so). personally, i'm more of a emacs kinda guy, but vs is a very, very nice tool.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

What the hell is "reverse trolling someone"? And where the hell is your snark coming from?

For what it's worth, I used OSX machines from 2004 to 2011, and like OSX a lot too (definitely more than I like XP), but eventually switched back to Windows because of (1) more practical multi-window management (I found the taskbar more practical than Expose or Mission Control when I had a dozen or so windows open) and (2) better software compatibility with industry-specific software.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

no snark. i was just trying to be funny: "reverse trolling" = troll the troller, so to speak. :)

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Gotcha, thanks, nevermind.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Given that consumers are abandoning desktops for tablets and smartphones and as a result, developers from at least the Windows and Linux camps tried to build one GUI to rule all three platforms. It's a reasonable branch to the main discussion in the absence of anything else that's relevant.

This I understand. My mum refused to use Ubuntu until her laptop died and she was left with no choice other than to fork out for a full copy of Windows. All she does at home with a PC is brows the web. But all she knew was Windows and IE 6. And she manages a switchboard that has a few IRIX systems connected to it which she does have to log into on occasion.

It does indeed have it's merits. But the competition are nibbling away rapidly. If Microsoft managed to get the security and stability situation sorted without locking out all my other choices. It might actually be a decent system. Windows 7 is a decent OS when it works. And frankly that's what Microsoft should have stuck to. They should have paid attention to the criticism KDE, Gnome Shell and Unity were lashed with and paused for a moment to see how that panned out. It's not as though they were ever in danger of being first across the finish line with a new GUI.

Now all three FOSS systems have quietly ditched the single GUI approach. KDE are abstracting the actual interface from the desktop in a bid to make building customised UI's easier. Gnome are rolling the clock back and re-enabling customisation and Mark Shuttle Worth's new buzz word is "convergence".

Microsoft? Still forging a head with a UI paradigm nobody wanted, asked for and more or less have out right rejected. They're still struggling to sell RT tablets. In fact the situation is so bad they're offering a $200 trade in token for "gently used" Apple iPads to be used to buy a Surface RT tablet.

It has rounded corners and a minimalist design. We all know how Apple feel about these things. They have patents and trade dress and Obama is a fan.

As for the stats. The New Zealand figure comes from Microsoft it's self. Hardly an independent measurement. There's also nothing to back up the claim. The second source is much better though with a verifiable source. You should have stuck to that link alone.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Microsoft and Apple's cross-licensing would take care of any issues there. Apple doesn't sue Microsoft over patent issues.

Got any contrary numbers for New Zealand? They're not surprising in light of the Kantar numbers for UK, France, Germany, and Mexico. And there's not much motive for Microsoft to lie about market share in New Zealand.

I'd prefer NZ numbers from Kantar or another third-party, but absent any evidence that Microsoft is falsifying market share claims, those New Zealand numbers are certainly better than nothing.

9. Princess Haru

I wish windows didn't have that search button on the bottom front right. Don't know how many times I've pressed it unintentionally, and I have never used it intentionally (since I can't figure out a way around changing it from Bing to something I might use, and been trying a few alternatives to Google too)

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Only so long as it's in their mutual interests. Say the impossible happened and Windows Phone began to threaten for the 2nd place position?

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Microsoft aren't a trustworthy source. Simple as that. They're being sued by their own investors because they effectively lied about how well Surface tablets were selling. Why would we take the word of a Microsoft executive selling Windows Phone 8. Which is basically just Surface RT on a phone.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sett...h-on-Lumia-920-Lumia-820-Is-Easy-308708.shtml

Softpedia has the answer. Settings > Default Settings search for deafult search field. Simply switch it to Google.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

FTFY

Every major company has litigious investors who file suit for the most trivial of things.

Apple got sued by a shareholder for not issuing more dividends, for Christ's sake - does that mean that Apple are ripping off investors?

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Please don't insert text into quotes or try to act like a moderator.

As for the allegedly. It's a fact. Microsoft told everybody and their dog Surface was doing great. They were selling what they expected to sell. Then took a $900 million write down on unsold Surface RT hardware.

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

A patent cross-license agreement is not a "gentleman's handshake" to not sue. It's legally binding. Apple has no patent claims against Microsoft.

And in western Europe, it looks like WP isn't that far behind iOS as is. 70% or more to Android, 15% to iOS (source), and based on those previous Kantar numbers, perhaps 8% to WP8.

No, it's not. Windows RT and Windows Phone are two different OSes with two different user interfaces, they use different app stores, etc. They have a similar (but not the same) aesthetic design to their launchers, but they're very different OSes, not remotely interchangeable.

16. Princess Haru

Unfortunately the 620 doesn't have Advanced Settings, maybe in some future update it will who knows. I have a Startme tile with most of my most visited sites including a list for email and search engines, Bing and Google are not on it:p

17. holyheadjch

Please don't state allegations as facts.
    Can you provide a source where they cite a sales number that they later had to retract because it was wrong?

EDIT: And also - the suit isn't about Microsoft lying about how many Surface RTs they sold. The Suit claims that Microsoft released misleading financial statements (edit2: and press releases/public comments) that deliberately downplayed the impact that lower than expected sales of the RT were having on the wider business (edit2: and did not report just how many Surface RTs they had built vs the number they had sold) and in doing so did not provide stockholders with the information they needed in order to manage their investment.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Awe sorry :(

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yeah ok. Microsoft went around telling everybody Suface RT had totally failed to sell at all. :rolleyes:

Stop adding words to quotes. Period.

20. holyheadjch

Did I say that? No. Did you read the complaint? I doubt it. Are you in fact talking about something you know next to nothing about? It certainly seems that way.

Stop with the faux outrage, it's boring.