windows 7 help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nojon, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

If anyone can help me out with a windows 7 issue please chime in. Im wanting to reinstall a clean copy, but with the installation disc even if I boot from the cd, it tells me theres not enough space on the drive to install windows, nor can I reformat. This has never happened before. ive done clean installs on this machine before, and it just wiped everything automatically. Ive gone into disc management and theres a chunk of unallocated space i want to delete and just have the main and the backup that win 7 uses. ....
    any ideas? Sry for the rambling explanation.

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Linux

If you still want/need 7, you could run Linux trial from disc/usb and use it to carry out the HDD changes as it usually ignores any windows restrictions.

Back up first if possible :)

3. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Have you tried deleting the existing partitions and simply creating a new one? That should always do the trick.

4. Nojon

I cant delete or reformat them, in disc management where you can see all the partitions, it wont let me do anything. Thats where I saw the chunk of unallocated disc space.

5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

You need ERD commander (win 7n version) - if your copy of win 7 is legit i believe it is free from M$ - can't remember what what the win 7 version is called but you can boot in as admin and it will let you make the changes.

Think it's called DART try this from here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee532075.aspx

Baza

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Have you tried a different tool to manipulate the partition such as Gparted?

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

gparted is good. i've also used ntfsresize. gapjumper's suggestion would also work.

8. Nojon

Thx for the ideas guys, ill work on them today,