Winamp/Windows Media player struggle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by JTiedes, Apr 29, 2005.

1. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

ok so i ripped some music to my comp using wmp, but whenever i try to play it in winamp it says "please select Directsound output plugin to play Windows media content"

what the heck do i do to make the files play in winamp and how?

2. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

The problem with "ripping" using WMP is that media player converts the tracks to .wmp format (or something like that), which winamp doesnt recognise. You would have to find some conversion software and convert to whatever file type winamp uses... :)

3. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

yea so im just gonna use real player to rip, thats working well for now

4. entercheesyname

entercheesyname New Member

Windows media does not have an equalizer setting which i need, how do you set it up (i.e move the sliders) to obtain an setting for a specific genre of music e.g soul?

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Use ITunes, or another driver, Windows media is crap. Scratch that, Windows period is crap.

6. Kaleb

Kaleb New Member

Ill agreee with knightcommander on windows and WMP, but can we add Real to the list of crap?

7. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Absolutely. Add to that the fact that 75% of Real Player's function is to spy on you. Do not use Real Player unless you have no other choice.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Winamp all the way! www.winamp.com

DbPowerAmp is also the best ripping tool you can get IMO. You should always rip to MP3 for best results. MP3 format will play in everything bar the toaster :D

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Someone's got a cruddy toaster :D
    If you need realplayer for anything, but don't want to be loaded with spyware, have a look at Real Alternative. It's based on the classic style Windows Media player and will play anything Real/ Realone player will but without the bloatware and spyware