Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tatsumaru, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

Couldn't see any threads about this, has anyone else been following the tennis? Exciting times for us brits as we finally get over the crushing disappointment that was Tim Henman's Wimbledon efforts and see Andy Murray fight his way into the quarter-finals. Plenty of other good matches as well, i think at the moment its possible we could see the williams sisters playing each other in the final which would be a pretty good match.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I wish everyone would shut up about Murray having no personality. So what! Would we rather have some amusing bumbling idiot who gets knocked out in the 2nd round every year! I reckon it'll be Federer vs Nadal in the final.

I see all the "pinups" have been knocked out in the womens.HA! Venus is a remarkable athlete though.Good for her.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I find it hard to like Andy Murray, partly because he acts like a pillock. He has a habit of sulking, he gives shocking interviews, the whole 'I'm Scottish, not British' thing ticks me off and the 'playing like women' remark doesn't help either.

But what other choice do we have? The rest of our singles players can barely hold a racket.

4. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I normally watch it until Sharapova gets knocked out. Although Ivanovic ain't too bad either....

5. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Not seen a single game this year, why do they put them on in the middle of the night? ;)

How much trouble has there been with the rain this year? It always seemed that when I was young, the first week would have great weather and then the second week all hell would break loose and we'd have constant wet stuff. And then a cool, windy final with showers on and off.

I most enjoy watching players who battle around the baseline like Ferrero, Grosjean (usually he is around every year), Agassi (alas, no more) and to some extent Roddick, the grip he uses on his forehand is bloody extreme.

6. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

Weather has actually been very good this year (so far anyway!) i think the covers have only come out a couple of times and only briefly.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Wasn't happy the other night when they decided to move Murray's game to BBC1 when there was something else I wanted to watch on there :woo:

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think there was something like 9 million people watching that match!

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Aye, how many of them had actually turned over for Criminal Justice just to find the tennis had taken over?

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol perhaps some of them didn't realise what they were actually watching anyway :D

Anyway, I don't rate Murray's chances much. Even his new muscles aren't as big as Nadal's.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I was there on Saturday. Couldn't be bothered queueing the extra couple of hours to get into centre court though so we just watched the mixed doubles (which were very entertaining anyway). I'm not particularly interested in tennis but happened to be in Wimbledon anyway so thought we'd go along for the experience. Definitely worth doing.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

My Mum has always been a huge fan and I told her ages ago I would take her one year.It's her 60th next year (I think!) so may treat her !

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Take a flask of tea - it's queue-tastic!

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

How come the 'scottish not british' thing ticks you off?

15. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Its wednesday, its 1.25pm Federer was due on court at 1pm.....

IT'S RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

16. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

That darn rain!

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

His passport says British. It insinuates that there is something wrong with being British. If Tim Henman went out and said 'I'm not British, I'm English' there would have been uproar.

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Why can't they play with umbrellas??? I remember seeing an old clip of Illya Nastase (sp?) playing with one in the rain.:rolleyes:

19. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Next few days look bad weather-wise. The weekend in particular is likely to be ghastly. For most of the country.

20. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Wont matter to Murray.