Willpower.. How to achieve?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hades, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well... I'm a boxer, been doing it for over 2 years, done some muay thai before that... I'm becoming pretty good, but the only thing that lacks is willpower... the will to win, the inner calmth to perform at my best... the things i practice, don't always show when sparring...

so..

How can I improve my Willpower..?

thanx in advance

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Umm. I don't think you can really, other than forcing yourself to try harder every time. Which is based on your willpower :bang:

From what I have seen people have a wide range of willpower, some give up at the slightest hint of exertion while others thrive on gruelling physical activity.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

A good start would be to identify what motivates you. Why do you do it? If you don't have a clear answer to that question, then you're going to start second-guessing yourself.

So why do you do it?

4. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

For me the drive is that i want to be the best in my club and im not far off about 2 people stand in my way, but its the things you do that give you that drive like when I was sparring the other day I lost badly and now Im gunna practice more bescause i want to be better. You just need to find something that will make you want to suceed. Like enter a competition and that maybe give you the will power to suceed. Aim to come out on top!

5. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

1. Write down your goals - be absolutely specific, detailed and quite short term - at least to start with - about them (not 'I want to be happy' but 'next fight, Im going to keep my guard up and use my jab at least 10 times in the first 2 minutes).This is hard but really important
    2. Visualise achieving them every day and think yourself through all the positive consequences of achieving them.
    3. Think about what you need to achieve your goals (more/different training? )
    4. Think about what gets in your way (time wasting on MAP? not getting enough sleep? worried about other things? worried about getting hurt - talk to yr coach about these)
    5. Make a plan to deal with 3 and 4 and carry it out
    6. Achieve your goals

The time between 1 and 6 is highly variable. The more specific and closer your goals,the shorter the time, the more likely yr chances of success, and the more likely therefore the consequent reinforcement of yr will and drive to succeed.

6. Master Ryu

Master Ryu New Member

I've done weight lifting and I believe that I have gained will power from it. Especially when you're going for the extra five reps. I get so angry and put my body into shock where I do not feel any pain. Try it sometime? And if you lost that bad, then I think the guy you were sparring believes he is much higher than you are and was never worried about losing in the first place. He was probably really calm the whole fight measuring you easily. That's my advice and opinion. It probably sucks. : /

7. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

If I had to condense it into 3 points I would say, Motivation, Visualisation, and Understanding.

Motivation - You have to have a goal to work towards, something that keeps you going and fills you with the desire to succeed.

Visualisation - Picture your goals in your head. Picture your victories. Imagine how pleasurable the implications of you achieving your goals will be.

Understanding - Learn as much as you can about whatever it is you need the willpower to do. Understanding is often the best way to diminish pointless worries. Understand yourself. That means understanding both your strengths and your weaknesses. Your motivation will give you the desire to improve the areas you are weak in.

Peace

8. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

owkay... thanx guys...

9. Mitsurigi

Mitsurigi New Member

I think everyone has hit the nail on the head with their replies,

a friend of mine has the same problem, i will tell you the same thing i told him find the reason or atleast a reason to fight to perform to your maximum capabilities, once you do you will get far better results from your training.

10. Simple

Simple New Member

Dewg u need to enjoy what ur doing, if u have no will power in boxing than it prolly mean ur bored. Conciously u dont kno but maybe sub conciously u wanan quit.