Will practicing internal kung fu make me hyperventilate?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Undecided, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Another persons experience with Chia's system is documented here.Similar experiences to my own.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16913

The trouble with this system is that it works too well.With most chi kung systems all you will feel is the sensation of chi in your hands and maybe the dan tian getting warm.Its a bit like comparing a gentle breeze to a force nine gale.

2. JRRodriguezIV

JRRodriguezIV Valued Member

Your teacher could have probably answered this question, because we don't usually teach Zhanzhuang without first setting down some ground rules, like:
    - Don't meditate 24 hours before and after taking drugs, drinking alcohol, and sex.
    - Don't meditate 1 hour before and after eating.
    etc. etc. etc.
    OUR MOST IMPORTANT RULE IS: Keep hallucinations, non-martial imaginations, and spirits out! Push away all negative feelings and be relaxed and happy!

If done properly YOU WILL BE IN CONTROL, and not the other stuff including your hyperventilation. :cool:

Cheers,

JR Rodriguez IV
    www.XinyiMeditation.com

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. Dale Dugas

Dale Dugas My door is always open

My advice would be to breath.

Relax, and breath

Do not worry about trying to "grow" your Qi or what have you.

Just breath, relax and settle the mind.

The Mind Commands
    The Body Responds
    The Energy follows.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I like that Dale.

One of the best zen teachings I ever received was "breathe, relax, smile".

It really works.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I knew that. Let's say some people felt ch'i (that blanket term) development of any type would effect everything. I didn't have much use for the awe that was engendered. You need to keep in mind the time period of the late 70/early 80s, knowledge of such practices wasn't as common as today. And the New Agers-can't forget them.

BTW,the rest of your post was good.

6. Undecided

Undecided New Member

I mean there are times when my breathing will be quite fast and my heart will beat more stronger and faster - noticeably faster than normal. That usually happens when I'm anxious about something or running out of time to accomplish whatever I have set out to do.

7. Undecided

Undecided New Member

Are you serious or joking? You mean that if for example you do some exercise where chi is generated to a part of your body (say the feet for example) and that part of the body looks all swollen and puffed up because of the chi, you mean that the feet can explode?

8. Undecided

Undecided New Member

In my opinion its best not to try and alter the flow of chi or even try and cultivate these feelings as it can lead to serious health problems that doctors have difficulty diagnosing.In truth you are tampering with something that neither science nor so-called chi kung masters really understand.[/QUOTE]

I think your opinion is a wise one.
    P.S. I'm only starting to get the hang of using MAP. I meant to quote above what the other guy said, but it doesn't look like how the quote thing should look. Hope you guys understand me!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  9. JRRodriguezIV

No your feet won't explode. Having swollen areas mean that your chi is stuck there and that there is a problem in that part of your body. You should concentrate on pushing that chi through. Then between practice do a light massage on the area and try again to let your chi through, repeat that step over and over daily until it get's better.

The most important thing is to be positive and happy. :cool:

10. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I think the only danger is if someone strikes a match after a student has released a large amount of stagnant chi.

11. David Langford

David Langford New Member

Proper practice of genuine internal arts should eventually cure your hyperventilation problem, not make it worse.

12. firefly2280

firefly2280 New Member

I've never heard of people having breathing problems while practicing Tai Chi. And I could imagine that the relaxed state and proper use of beathing will be good for you.
    Obviously there are many different schools practicing out there and many different ways that we all approach the subject. I sugest you start with a good teacher who can help you relax and feel confident until your ready to move on with the tougher stuff.
    Good luck.

13. JRRodriguezIV

Breathing should be as natural and as relaxed as possible. Trying to control your breathing, like using Taoist or Buddhist methods, are unhealthy and can even lead to internal problems and death.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Care to elaborate for us... which Taoist or breathing methods are you referring to? Which deaths are you referring to? Citations please.:rolleyes:

15. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I've used a variety of different breathing techniques for meditation, hypnosis, and martial arts/exercise and never had any issues. In fact I'd say they increased my ability to process oxygen and I'm pretty sure you're pulling this out of your butt.

Maybe you're referring to pushing to hard on the toilet giving you hemorrhoids.

16. JRRodriguezIV

Nope, I'm serious. It is a topic I've discussed recently with a fellow Tai Chi master who is experiencing problems with his health and he pinpoints breathing as one of the culprits.

Any breathing aside from normal, is not natural. If you need more oxygen your body will breathe harder without you needing to do anything. There is nothing controlled breathing can do to increase oxygen process, maybe more on hindering it. If you hold your breath while pushing too hard on the toilet you can also have a heart attack, not just hemorrhoids. :cool:

If you believe it is beneficial to your body if you unnaturally control the way you breathe, it is your business to continue at your own risk; but in all my years of practice and teaching, controlled breathing is something we care not to do. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Generally lack of breathing is more likely to cause problems with his health.

And I'd recommend he go to a proper doctor rather than self-diagnose with mystical gibberish.

Uh...what? Yes it is - otherwise we wouldn't be capable of it.

Yes. And?

Nonsense. Hyperventilation with cause hyperoxygenation of the blood, which can cause light-headedness and unconsciousness. Someone can intentionally hyperventilate if they wish to do so. If they are doing it intentionally, it is controlled breathing.

And yet you profess to be an expert in the health risks of this thing that you don't do?

18. JRRodriguezIV

That's it, nothing else to add.

Exactly my message, don't hyperventillate intentionally. Just let you body breathe without thinking about it.

Who, me? An expert in health risks of breathing? When did I profess that? Maybe you are since you seem to type like one, but not me. Anyway, I can breathe properly, never said I couldn't.

I am an expert in fighting, empty hand and weapon in hand, and we don't think much about our breathing when we practice or fight. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You're the one claiming that controlled breathing can result in internal injuries and death.

An expert? How nice.

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

oh my. here we go. :p