will not tap!!!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thiaboxr2, Jul 14, 2003.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Oh yeah the original thread :D

Some people will try and be stupidly macho about not tapping. It is only training, I'm happy to play on the floor and tap out whenever I'm loosing.

Too many people forget that the object of training ISN'T to win, but just learn, so that means you won't always take the first chance to get your best lock on. Likewise you shouldn't worry about tapping to avoid injury!

ps do people always explain to beginners what tapping is? :D

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

They should yes. Sometimes though stupid instructors make assumptions that people already know - and they then try to tough it out when really they shoulda tapped - Right Andy? :Angel:

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Tough it out?

Hey, it was the best trip I had for years.

Nothing a good eye boink wouldn't have sorted out though! :Angel:

What was more concerning, was me taking an Asthma attack and not having the puff to ask you to get off me. (Big Bully)

4. YODA

LOL!

I was talking about that triangle Russ got you in :Angel:

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

No, I know what you were talking about. It was a triangle that YOU coached Russ to put me in. I was just trying to be helpful.

The Asthma thing was the first ever time we met.
    I was just out of hospital with Bronchitis and Pnuemonia ya Cripple Wrestler Ya. :D

It's harder to tap in recognition of loss of consciousness than it is for feeling pain. Getting choked is actually almost pleasant, whereas compliance is downright painful.

6. YODA

So true :D

I thought you were just VERY tired LOL!

7. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

so uh... why do you have to make him tap? if you know you have the position you could just let go and keep flowing...

although, I don't like to tap right away either... i won't go to the point where i SHOULD tap, but if someone's putting something on and I can take it I keep on going. The accilies heel hold is a great one... cause it can't really hurt you, just bruise those tendons, so I always take the pain on that one.

8. Genki_ETHOS

Genki_ETHOS New Member

hey buddy,

if you ever run into anyone whose THAT stubborn (spelling?) and doesn't tap - you gotta teach them a lesson! if a mans not tapping because of his ignorance we'll be shouting, "break it!!!"

:)

I'll tell you alot a funny story though guys, i was grappling with this new guy the other day - some big heavy nutter, and before the match i explained to the guy that if i tap it means i give up and the same with him. So to cut a long story short, i armbarred him and he starts screaming in pain, i quickly let go of him and ask him why the hell didn't he tap? and he said that i didn't give him a chance! :s! and i was like lol don't u know how to tap with your other hand!!! :lol:

:)

9. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

LOL thats a good story.
    You guys are brutal telling hime to choke out his friends.
    I want to learn how to choke out my friends now. hehehe

10. sfjohn

sfjohn New Member

Ok guys and especially girls, here is a little technique i picked up from grappling with gracie students who mind you never want to tap. I have become a master at this one technique and think you should all have it in your repituoire (incorrect spelling) of tapping out the untappable. The essence of this is attacking the groin while on the outside i.e. to a judge it looks like a harmless accident. I first used it when i would get someone in a japanese armbar, my attack would be in switching from both legs over the body to bringing my other foot and tucking it just under his ribs, of course on this transition i would accidently heel kick him in the groin which would make the person tap and start yelling ilegal move or something.

The beauty of this technique is that usually to satisfy the pain of being kicked in the groin, you want to bend forward (japanese armbar negates this) and at best be able to get up and walk it off. My other favorite adaption of this technique is from the back mount, if he is not tapping from a technique your doing, put in your hooks and "accidently" heel hok him in the groin as you set the hooks. Oops.

You might be thinking well what if he has a cup? This can also be adjusted for but it takes a lot more sneakyness. If you want to get a guy who has a cup, as you are setting your finishing technique in you have to "accidently" play with the cup with your foot. Your objective is to get one ball, excuse my language, eithe outside the cup or trapped in between the edge of the cup and the pelvis and anothe "accidental" ery light if he is a friend heel hook to the cup will have this person tapping for their life.

Now i leave it up to you, just thing how you could "accidently" pummel the groin from any of the groung positions you are in. If you need help in figuring some out, just ask, i'll be here. But remember if you want the tap in competition that is well regulated, you have to be sneaky. Very sneaky. I learned combative grappling so I am always thinking of these things no matter which position I am in and have had to modify a couple attacks to certian areas that could get me disqualified in competition. Remember in competition make it look like an accident and you will be all good. On the streets jack that fools groin up. There are other little tricks I have but this one is the easiest to visualize without writing a lot of words. So at that, have fun and if the son of a gun won't tap literally crush his manhood. :)

11. YODA

On the street I would be looking for the tap - I'd just break his arm.

12. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I would still get him to tap.......his head against the concrete a few times. He will eventually "give up".

13. YODA

So - if he says he "gives up" - are you going to believe him?

Assuming this is a valid self protection scenario - i.e. HE attacked YOU - you value his word enough to believe him?

I'd break his arm. THEN discuss his willingness to "give up".

14. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I know...anything goes on the street, no rules. Its always easier to take out a limb or choke him out and walk away than slowly inflicting pain litlle by little. Be quick and efficent instead of foolish and gullable.