Will koryu teachers teach students with tattoos?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by kuoshu, Mar 27, 2007.

1. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

I did mention these all will vary from ryu to ryu and master to master. Yes many traditional teachers will clean as well, as it is the duty of all students to keep a dojo clean and presentable and a teacher is first and foremost also a student.

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

LOL spooks!

peisistratos: I dont knowingly discrimate against anyone or anything, I judge people on their character, not their dress sense, fashion sense, or personal taste. Maybe thats beccause I used to be one of those people who had an 18inch bright blue mohawk, piercings and tattoos. Now Ive only 1 piercing and my tattoos.

No, I'm saying that judging me because I have tattoos is wrong.

angacam: I think you are right :D

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

You can't believe everything you read on the net now can you.

:D

4. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

As an aside, I'm very impressed with the thought put into this and the koryu v ninjutsu threads.

Much better than the usual 'I wanna learn the nunchukkaz' threads...

5. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

I'll troll if you want Scotty ;)

6. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

But the way of life would be subject to lesson time not actual life.

I've no problem addressing someone by their appropreiate title within lesson, hell i've been told off for being too formal within lesson!, but outside they are the same as me.

7. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

I'd pay good money to see you address someone like Otake Risuke Shihan as "buddy" or "mate" after keiko.

8. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

What has cornflakes got to do with owt? :D

Anyhow are they located in the Uk?

If not, another country is another matter, i'm talking about the western world.

And buddy or mate would be to people i know well otherwise their first name would be fine.

Funny i don't see Rich(Spooky) refering to Scott as Sensei on the forum.

9. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

稽古 Frosted please.

Anyway... that's the problem, koryu requires an acceptance of Japanese mentality, we may well be in the "western world" but that counts for naff all as far as koryu is concerned.
    You ever served in the armed forces as a mater of interest ? If you had, you're point of view on this would be different.
    Does HE want to be called SENSEI on these forums ?

The point being that if acceptance into his dojo required it then it would be a required part of the student's responsibility - However stupid it might be to us as westerners. - Accept the rules and train or don't. Life's full of choices.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  10. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

Depends on weather or not they are Uechi Deshi or not. As Uechi Deshi the lessons would be on going as a part of daily life.

And, IMHO that is a pretty standard western mentality. Not wrong or bad for a student who does not wish to be a part of the more traditional style of Ryu. It all comes down to what you want from your training. I have studied for 22+ years and though at times in casual conversation with others I will refer to my teachers by name when I address them I do so as Sensei or Shihan even though my current teacher is only 3 or 4 years older than I am. He is my teacher and has earned that respect. In the same light, when on the mat my own children are not permitted to address me as Dad or Daddy but as Sensei. I want them to understand the difference. I have some very traditional values associated with my training so for me this is how it is done. It's not for everyone though and that is where a Masters right to refuse to teach someone comes in. If someone walked in and offered me 1Million dollars to teach them but they did not have the correct attitude to learn in my school I would send them away, as it would be a waste of my time, there time, and the other students time for them to be in a class that they could not or would not accept with there whole heart.

11. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Ever served in a forward area? Ever placed your life in another man's hands? Asked him to place his life in yours?

12. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

The truth ?.. You cant' handle the TRUTH !!

13. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Gary how would you refer to Hatsumi Soke if you bumped into him in the UK?
    (Not very likely I know :D )

14. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

OK, I'm a bit confused now. :confused:
    By this logic, if you should always refer to your teacher as Sensei even outside of class, so even outside of class you should make your kids call you Sensei instead of Daddy? I must be missing something here.... :confused:

15. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Redundant question, Hatsumi Sensei is not my Instructor i have no personal relationship.

But hello would be a good start, and what you doing here?

16. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Nor does he (or any of the others) in the dojo either. That's MY choice.

Tonight I fenced a Japanese lady who has about 20 years of skill ahead of me and she gave me a lesson in jigeiko. When I thanked her (for the pounding) I referred to her as sensei, even though she isn't a sensei in the dojo (or my sensei for that matter).

When I am in Japan, everyone who I train with that is older than me gets called sensei. I have been called sensei by younger members even though they train at hombu. I accept it because I am expected to.

You adjust - simple as that. When in Rome (or the UK, or Japan etc) and all that...

17. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but arn't koryu teachers free to discriminate along any lines they choose? Because it is a relationship that is distinct from employment and from business, then they can legally (talking about in the west here) elect not to teach any person for any reason (including for reasons that may be prohibited in other areas, like race and religion)? Not saying they should, just that they can. Please clarify if this is not the case.

18. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Yeah they pretty much can. Most do not, but it is possible.

19. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

It's not really like that, but there are exceptions to the rule. With koryu, there are no absolutes except in the ryuha you train in. Mind you, you are correct in saying it is a way of life. Many see it as such, that doesn't mean we don hakama and hachimaki with a spear on out shoulder going out to the shops to buy some cheese & bread. Principles of technique, mindset and other attributes gained from training really do help in modern day life too.

20. nickh

nickh Valued Member

I think that the more important question is whether a koryu sensei will allow students to train wearing this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007