Will I always have rib pain after a fight/spar?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Osu,

Indeed, I have good coverage... but the prices listed are what the hospital charges, without accounting for any insurance refund. :)

OSu!

2. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

Trust me,that ain't what they charge here..

3. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

i would second the notion that you skip class to afford an Xray atleast. Talk to your instructor about the pain, how it was when it started and now. in fact thats the first person you should tell.

If you have a sharp twinge of pain *it may not be very painful, but sudden pin like* on deep breathing then the rib may be malaligned. if you have dull pain on breathing deeply that increases the as the breath is deeper that your ribs simply haven't healed completely yet.

Either way. I'd advise absolutely no sparring, cuz no matter what you do, you will put sprain on the ribs.

trust me on this one, i live in a third world country where most people don't go to doctors for almost anything, i've seen a LOT of people ranging from 30-80 years who come with choronic pain and on taking their history you find out that they had sustained injuries in their youth that they neglected.

I don't doubt that affording a doctor may be very hard for you, I know how it is in the US, but you need to for such injuries unless you want to stop Martial arts early anyways.

4. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

i would second the notion that you skip class to afford an Xray atleast. Talk to your instructor about the pain, how it was when it started and now. in fact thats the first person you should tell.

If you have a sharp twinge of pain *it may not be very painful, but sudden pin like* on deep breathing then the rib may be malaligned. if you have dull pain on breathing deeply that increases the as the breath is deeper that your ribs simply haven't healed completely yet.

Either way. I'd advise absolutely no sparring, cuz no matter what you do, you will put sprain on the ribs.

trust me on this one, i live in a third world country where most people don't go to doctors for almost anything, i've seen a LOT of people ranging from 30-80 years who come with choronic pain and on taking their history you find out that they had sustained injuries in their youth that they neglected.

I don't doubt that affording a doctor may be very hard for you, I know how it is in the US, but you need to for such injuries unless you want to stop Martial arts early anyways.

5. Osu,

For some reasons, I think this would beam the flashlight on some dark corners of the discussion in the "third world" thread... ;)

Osu!

6. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Lol. in our family, we call the US the 2nd world country. We have family in the states and been there too. and all i can say is that the situation was very much like Pakistan. Same kind of people, same kind of attitudes, same kind of life, same kind of wierd government and laws.

Then we went to the UK, Like Day and night. =P

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Yup, when mines were cracked I couldnt even breath the wrong way, couldnt laugh or cough either.

What I have now is nothing like then, but I shall proceed with caution.

8. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Move to New Zealand, its free here. ;)

9. Osu,

That's great! :)
    Actually, it is "free" because the price charged to the patient is zero; let's not forget that it still has a cost.

Osu!

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

From the sounds of things you're mostly healed anyway, and given that seeing a doctor is seemingly not on the cards, then proceeding with caution is well advised (though seeing a doc should really be high on your list).

I remember easing back into sparring after my injury was an absolutely beeyatch. I couldn't help but to drop my guard to protect my previously damaged ribs. My sparring partners caught on and showed me no mercy (gits).

Continue training by all means but perhaps give sparring a miss or if you absolutely must spar maybe wear one of those chest protectors... Still, good luck in healing quickly or finding the means to see a doctor, whichever comes first...

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you've damaged an area of your body you may always find it's more sensitive to blows. I feel pain more quickly from wristlocks in the wrist I sprained than the uninjured wrist and the ankle I mangled really hurts if I catch it awkwardly on the mats during training.

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I mentioned before, to be healed you must have 100% strength back in the area. For a rib injury, my recommendation is:

1) allow time for the injury to heal properly (seek professional medical attention)
    2) after that start getting the range of motion back in the area with slow stretching in an isolated manner
    3) build strength back in the healed area
    --> (for ribs) crunches and side crunches. Put a hand over the area to see which muscles are being used. Make sure the muscles around the area are being used and getting stronger.
    --> introduce random factors into the strength building, such as stand on one foot on an uneven surface like a trampoline while holding a ball with arm extended. Move the ball around to work the healed area (again you can put a hand on the ribs to feel when the muscles are being stressed)
    --> increase the weight or repetitions of the above as you gain strength

Once you have full strength and range of motion back, that is basically when you are fully healed... however, it many take another year or so for any scar tissue to align itself from use. So in general, for a year after fully healed, you still will be working the area breaking up and reforming the scar tissue... so the first year you are possibly in the most danger of re-injuring the area.

This recommendation is just my opinion and not professional advice. My main point is that until you get full strength and range of motion back in the area... it isn't fully healed.

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Oh trust me, I have NOT been sparring since this minor bruise or hairline fracture,whatever it may be