Will giants dominate MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pitfighter, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I've noticed that in boxing bigger guys are dominating. Giants like the Klitschkos and Valuev. In K-1 too, look at Hong Man Choi.

I know there are already big guys in MMA but true giants, (I consider anyone over 6'3" or 1.99 km, if my math is correct, to be true giants). Haven't dominated the sport, Fedor does. :)

But do you think it is inevitable that they will? or Do you guys think that at least height is not as important in MMA? Ex:Munsoon. After all more compact guys have a slight advantage in grappling cuz of their wider base.

2. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I truly don't think height plays much of a factor except for reach, but once a short guy gets in they have stronger abilities to finish it.

At least that's ME from fighting.

3. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I don't know if that's so accurate. Some of the tallies have a solid ground game, and I'm at a lack of names at the moment.

4. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Of course, there's always exceptions and one person does not a whole system make...

5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Of course it also depends on the weight class. The welters have a much better ground attack than the mid-heavys and heavys.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The only giants or close to that you see in MMA in the Heavyweights or higher weight divisions. I don't actually find most of them very talented. Yes they may be strong and they may have size... but I don't think that will carry them very far. At least not if we look at Akebono, Bob Sapp or that Brazillian guy with long hair - the ugly one.

Semmy Schilt is a different story. His stand up game was solid. His ground game has improved tremendously and yes.. he's damn big. So he's going to be a hard one to beat.

I think the whole idea that giants are dominating sport is actually rather unfounded. Manny Pacquiao isn't all that big... neither is Mayweather nor Calzaghe. But most of the world only ever hears about the heavies on up... so it's not surprising that many people who don't follow boxing would have heard of Valuev.

7. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Agree with that, have a buddy who trains with Schilt and Hardcore, nothing but praise from him bout Schilt's skills

8. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

"Massive fighters do good against good fighters and poor against great ones" Whether that quote actually aplies i dont know but i remember hearing it somewhere. In MMA weight is more relevent than height, hence why almost all combat sports are divided by weight. For example Sean Sherk beat Kenny Florian for 5 rounds despite the fact kenny is 5"10 and Sean is 5"6, a four inch difference at those heights is alot and kenny is a giant in comparison to Sherk, but he still got absolutly dominated. Dan lauzon is 5"10 and he got knocked out in the first round by a 5"6 spencer fisher. Brad imes is 6"7 and 260 lbs and he took a 3 round beating from rashard evans who is 5"11 and 225 lbs. Brad imes really is a giant compared to rashard. I know these fights in no way prove that giants wont dominate in MMA, it just shows that height and being far bigger than the oppoenent does not mean you will beat them. (you'll have to excuse me if this post is confusing because ive barely had any sleep and im exhausted)

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I don't think Minotauro, who is over 6'3" is a "giant." He's just a tall guy. Perhaps you are particularly short?

Maybe really big guys will do better in the future. Right now, while there are guys like Tim Sylvia, Aleks, and Semmy Schilt, there are also guys like Fedor, Mark Hunt, Jeff Monson, etc. I think most of the really good heavyweights are distributed in the 6'0"-6'3" range and guys taller or shorter than that can do well, but there tend to be fewer of them.

10. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

No, I don't think they will...

In boxing a guy is able to get away with being slower and uncoordinated but in MMA he would be eaten alive...

They would get taken down and then their size would be a disadvantage.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Giant Silva is huge and has been trounced by nearly everyone he fought in MMA.

All other things being equal I'd pick the bigger man, but things are rarely equal.

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Size does not matter in MMA as much as speed, strength, and most importantly technique.

In boxing if you have bad technique you can get away with getting ajab in the face or a hook as 1 punch seldom KO's a man.

In MMA, 1 mistake and you will be on the mat asking the ref what happened.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Like what i said then!

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not sure what boxing your watching... but in general is the guy is slower and uncoordinated - he's losing. :D

15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Nah Valuev is not what I would call a dexterious man, he is fairly slow and uncoordinated.. but since he isn't going to be knocked out with 2-3 punches he can get away with getting caught.

You let someone get a good shot at you in MMA and you go to sleep as opposed to simply getting hit and backing away or swinging in return.

Does Valuev really strike you as a Ali or Tyson type? Of course not, he probably isn't even the best technical boxer in his own gym, but in boxing he can get away with that.

16. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

sean sherk is NOT SMALLER than florian. sherk is built like a brick house, while florian is tall and skinny. they were around the same weight, so obviously sherk was stronger. that's why he won, because he was compact. i would have considered sherk the giant, not florian.

17. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Uh...doesn't the term Giant refer to height?

Giant doesn't refer to strength, or if it does then it only refers to strength+height and not strength alone...

18. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

well, if a guy was shorter than me, but had twice the muscle mass, i would consider him a giant.

19. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

A giant is someone who is unusually tall. Muscle mass has nothing to do with it.

20. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Personally I think that height isn't a huge factor in MMA. If your taller you usually got more reach or and if your shorter you usually got a more compact base. Maybe you got a mix of both, like your short but got good reach or tall and compact.

I don't think true giants, guys with the various giantism diseases such as Giant Silva, will dominate the sport necessarily. But I do think truly massive guys will whether they be giants (who aren't too clumsy), fat dudes (who have real functional strength) or other truly massive dudes who've got over 100 kilos of muscle .