Will dumbbells actually reduce speed?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dragon619, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

2. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

So this post says that if you train properly, you can train your speed with weights. I haven't watched ur YouTube links becuz my phone is acting weird lately on YouTube. But is this something like training with ankle and wrist weights? Or is that type of training only damaging to ur body?

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

DekuTurk, please don't use text speak in your posts. It makes them difficult for people to read. Thank you for your cooperation with this matter. :)

4. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

Do you mean, talking "slang" like and using words such as 'ur' and 'becuz'? If this is what you mean, I'll try my best to type correctly the way everybody understands. But I actually can't understand who wouldn't understand text speak, but oh well

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Yes. The ToS that you agreed to when you registered specifically states that the use of text speak is against the rules.

'4.2.1 This is not a mobile phone text service – you do not need to use abbreviations to reduce the length of your post. It makes it hard for ne1 not used 2 txt sp34k 2 read wot u r saying.'

Using text speak makes posts more difficult to read, so we ask that you type things in full. :)

The full rules are here:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/terms.php

6. GoodHeadkick

GoodHeadkick New Member

Weights in general CAN have the potential to reduce speed based on building too much tension in the muscle. As when you work out you tear down the muscles and they lose their elasticity. Which takes away from the rubbery snap you should have for strikes.

Bruce Lee describes this well in the Tao of the Jeet Kune do in that the opposing muscle when it's tense can act as a "brake". So it's like driving with the handbrake on. It's imperative to keep your muscles as relaxed as possible.

This can usually be circumvented by making sure you give yourself enough recovery time. Or cycling your weight workouts at the end of the week with your martial arts earlier in the week. Giving yourself the weekend to recover and let the muscles return to an elastic state.

Also doing post recovery techniques helps. Such as massages, hot baths, stretching etc. But still bottom line is you need time for the muscles to return to a elastic state.

---> GoodHeadKick

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP GoodHeadKick.

Please do not keep posting advertising links as this violates MAP's Terms of Service and will result in you being banned.

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014