Will dumbbells actually reduce speed?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dragon619, Sep 24, 2012.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You do know that Bruce Lee wasn't the strongest man in the world, don't you?

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Katsu, unless you want a ban, you need to rein in your attitude and insults. Thank you.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Wonderful. Now re-read my post, see why it's silly to jump to the gun, and next time take the time to read.

I have no problem with bench presses. Doing 500 reps of the bench press in one workout is a different story.

If you want to share your opinion, please take the time to read and understand what others are saying before chiming in. It'll give your opinion a lot more weight and make you look like less of a ****.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There are many, many people stronger than Bruce Lee. He was very strong for his size but hardly the strongest man in existence.

5. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

I read your post again yes but he found what works for him but I would question the 500reps though sounds unbelievable to me. Still don't understand what your trying to say. In fact I would say that's impossible he looks about 90 kg and doubt anyone could do that.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

how does a thread on genuine lack of info degrade into stupidity.

benching is great.
    so is overhead press.

but doing an excess of reps is bad. once you get 3sets of 20 im pretty sure you have enough endurance to up the weight.

and bruce lee wasnt the strongest person ever.

you clearly havent seen Powerlifters or iranian olympic lifters

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

What I was saying is just because someone you hold in high regard does something does not necessarily make it the best way to do something. Simple, really.

8. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

If i want to increase my strength and have hard, well defined lean muscles, how should i exercise with dumbbells?

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

To increase your strength you need to use a challenging weight. Multiple sets of low reps is generally accepted as being an effective way of increasing strength. Work exercises that involve a lot of muscle groups.

In terms of "hard, well defined lean muscles" most of that has to do with your diet and cardio regimen. Eat a clean diet and make sure you're training your endurance.

10. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

Is there any particular method of breathing when doing dumbbell exercises? If there is, how to do it?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Natural is best; don't try to force a particular breathiing pattern.

If doing an exercise like DB presses you can inhale on the way down and exhale when pushing.

12. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

There are people on this forum stronger than Bruce, the numbers I've seen him credited with are less than impressive, plus probably inflated too.

Katsu, let's tone things down and stop being so aggressive, you're telling Kuma he is an idiot for not lifting weights, which is funny if you consider he's a competitive lifter.... Also he's strong as hell.

Second, other people are allowed an opinion, does not mean you need to call them idiots. People in glass houses....

13. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

I didn't say Lee was strong as in 'weight lifting strong'. I meant fighting strong.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Doesn't matter as the points the others made still stand for that too.

15. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

Ok, i was redirected by Simon when i had a similar question, but it seems like a lot of people went off topic or are avoiding the question, here goes mine.

Ok, another question. I am around 5'6'' (168cm) and weight 127.9 lbs (58 kg) and as a light person one of my best ability is my speed. But i do lack some power. Of course i do push ups and pull ups during training, but people tell me to do some weight training if i want to gain more power. But some say that you will lose some speed in return for some power when weight lifting. I want to know wether this is confirmed, or is it not true. Can i maintain my speed while gaining more power? I read on the internet you will lose speed when weight lifting if you work out after a certain minimum weight. But then again some say, no matter what weights you train with, you will lose speed. Now i dont really want to lose my speed as its the only thing im kinda talented at. But i do want to scare my opponents because no matter my how many times i hit em, even with sharp counters, they rather fight me then a very powerful one. This is a real dilemma for me, because even my coach tells me i need to stomp sum fear into my opponents. So does weight lifting really make me slower, or can i just buy a pair of dumbbells? As always, thanks in advance.

Look for now, i dont give a damn about bench pressing or/and bruce lee. Just tell me out of your own experience how and why this is true/false. remember that striking is different then sprinting.

16. Mangosteen

the most powerful hitters all lift weights.
    the science of behind the speed-strength continuum supports this.

training for maximal strength and maximal speed will result in maximal power.

17. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

That is true, no argue with that, but is weight lifting the way to do that? I do strength training thru push and pull up. I heard that mike Tyson didn't do weight lifting when he was training under Cus D'Amato, plus these are examples of heavyweight boxers. I heard Floyd may weather also doesn't train with weights, and he's an undefeated champ.

18. Mangosteen

Those guys are also genetic freaks who don't need to lift weights because they are in every way better than everyone else. Tyson was huge without lifting. Maybe he did push-ups cos his endurance sucked and he kept dropping his arms.

If your bench pressing 300 kg it's producing more power than a push up - who'd you think will hit you harder even without boxing skills? The guy doing push ups or the bench presser?
    bench press guy obviously.

Skills first, then strength then endurance.

If your specific need is to get stronger, bench.
    If you suck at keeping your arms up, do push ups.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

let me just end this right here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ojp1Q1qZHY"]Pyrros Dimas training - YouTube[/ame]

try to pick 50 kilos off the floor and that will give you the tiniest inkling of the amount of strength required to do what this guy is doing. and you know how he got there? by lifting weights.

20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter