Will boxing help my kickboxing?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so iv been approached by a boxing trainer in Deptford. He can give me one on ones at an affordable rate cos he says he sees potential in me.

I would be training one hour every day 5 days a week exclusively boxing.

In addition to doing muay thai in the evenings 4 times a week.

So I would be doing some bag or padwork with a partner in the morning and a run, then boxing in afternoon for an hour then a muay thai class in the evening about 4 days a week.

Will they get in the way of each other or will they complement each other? Boxing for punching, muay thai for kicking. Iv done some research on the matter and it seams like dutch kickboxing is a hybrid between muay thai and boxing. Iv also heard that western muay thai uses more hands than traditional muay thai. Probably duo to the fact you cant elbow people from your first fight.

I asked this question about karate before and people told me to stick to one striking art and one grappling art but iv been offered cheap privates in boxing, which im thinking of taking to improve my hand strikes but don't want to mess up my kickboxing.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The stance is different but honestly I'd just do it. It's more pad/bag work.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, like PiP said the stance is different, but once you're punching the combos are transferable, so, ya, more pad/bag work is good. :)

I attending a boxing class Mon/Fri and muay thai Tue/Thur as much as my schedule allows, and it's not hurting me any. :)

4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'd recommend going lightly on kickboxing sparring while you train boxing, only because I have seen people who try to do both hurt their legs kicking or being kicked, which then interferes with their orthodox boxing. Getting a window of opportunity with a good boxing coach is awesome but nothing lasts forever. Boxing is so heavily dependent on foot and legwork, it'd be a shame to miss classes because you're healing up your shins, etc. You can still train boxing with sore arms and body, but with sore legs is not fun at all. :)

barongan and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nonsense.

If you are sore, then maybe rest is needed, but that goes for all arts and styles.

If your advice was to be heeded, then we'd never have MMA fighters.

6. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

In an ideal world I would have someone who is a kickboxing or MMA trainer approach me in this way. Iv been offered mon-friday one hour for £200, which I can afford just about out of my benefits. This is along with training muay thai three/ week and bjj twice a week.

But iv had a boxer approach me. I will be getting privates for cheap, I think he wants me to fight a boxing match in september, and like boxing isn't really my thing but if it gets me good with my hands should I go for it.

Grond and Mitlov like this.
  7. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Im not really a fan of hard sparring tbh. Technical thai sparring is what I like. Iv had people break my ribs hard sparring before and its not fun having to take 6 weeks out cos some dickhead decided to break your ribs in a sparring session.

Monkey_Magic and Grond like this.
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Padwork is padwork and its all mixable together.

My base style is kungfu, I then did Muay Thai, the Muay helped me greatly with the power generation.
    During my Muay Thai, I took up a few boxing lessons. (Actually became eligible for a boxing licence but never competed)

Were there issues? Yes. My Muay Thai and kung fu stance meant, I had a loose and kinda mid level guard...which wasnt good for straight up boxing. So it took me a few knocks on the head to straighten that up.

And my Muay Thai stance affected my kungfu, altho the stance was similar...traditionally my feet in kungfu are planted...whereas not so much in the muay...but it helped the boxing.

So... swings n roundabouts.

Monkey_Magic and Grond like this.
  9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I guess, but Mary isn't a full contact MMA fighter as far I know she seemed to be more of a hobbyist/amateur. So I'm just recommending being a little extra careful while cross training. Too much too hard too fast for someone's skill level is a recipe for injury and then all training is at risk and the more arts the more diverse the injuries. Sparring is where injuries happen most frequently so that's where I'd try to play a little easier. But of course if someone was training for full contact competition it would be a different story.

Dead_pool and Monkey_Magic like this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

I'd say she seems pretty serious about competing. She's already fought in Thailand of all places.

Morik likes this.
  11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

My bad then, I must have forgotten or missed that. For some reason I thought she was a karateka. Maybe I confused her with another poster. My memory isn't what it used to be. Well then, party on!

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

No worries man. You're right I'd say. If someone was just hobbying it about then by all means pick one. But if you're serious (and she is) then got to get all the pad time you can.

Grond likes this.
  13. KevinFrancis

KevinFrancis New Member

Will boxing help my kickboxing is a no brainer!

Grond likes this.
  14. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

I mentioned karate once cos I was wondering whether mixing it in would help my striking.

Grond likes this.
  15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Yes, Boxing will help your Kickboxing. Dutch Kickboxing is a great example of this.

16. barongan

barongan New Member

Agree with your advice[​IMG]

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I disagree with that advice, and I've done my fair share of both, within the same time period. Sure, the odd freak accident can happen but you shouldn't be sparring hard enough to cause injury in the first place. The same could be said if you had a concussion or broke your hand/finger during training.

If you injure your leg or foot, box. If you injure your hand, kick. If the injury is severe enough to stop you training in one or the other then you probably shouldn't be training in either until it's healed. Simples. :)

Communicate with your coach and let them know why you are Boxing in the first place. My coach knows I box for Thai/Kickboxing instead of Boxing alone, so we modify the training for the ruleset I fight for. We work around any injuries I have. Aches & bruises are never comfortable but you will always get aches & bruises in this sport. Just crack on with it. :)

Jaydub likes this.