WildLog!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Wildlings, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Oooo good news then! Thanks Superfoot!

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hah. Haven't been called that in years. :)

3. Wildlings

Side effects of being back, aren't they? :evil:

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

5. Wildlings

19/08/2013

Strength/Circuit training:
    Part 1:
    Push ups (number of reps from day 2 of 100 push ups program)
    Hindu squats 30
    Dumbbell rows (8 kg) 20
    Lunges 10 each leg
    Adductor flies 30

Rest 1:00

Part 2:
    Body rows 3
    Glute ham raise - only Isometric contraction at top position 15 seconds
    Isometric front kick hold 15 sec each leg
    Isometric side kick hold 15sec each leg
    Negative pull up 1

Rest 1:00

Repeated the whole circuit 5 times. The goal was to complete part 1 in less than 2 minutes, which I managed to do (without too many problems) for the first 4 times, it took me 2:20 last time. For part 2 there was no particular goal, but it wasn't too intense either.
    This means I'll have to increase the number of reps/contraction time both in part 1 and 2. :evil:

Isometric stretching:
    Side split level 3

Will do relaxed stretching later :)

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you have dumbbells you can boost your side split efforts by doing overhead presses in a wide squat. Open your legs to about 2-2.5x shoulder width and flex your knees so that your hips are parallel with your knees. Make sure your lumbar spine is extended so you maintain its natural curve. As you perform OHPs use the downward movement of the press to help drop your hips below your knees. Over several workouts you'll come to a point where you can't lower your hips any further. This is when you widen your stance and restart the process. Keep going lower, wider, lower, wider etc and eventually you'll be in a split.

7. Wildlings

Bloody gods, that's a hell of advice! :)
    It should be like starting in horse stance and then trying to go ass-to-grass :D, or am I wrong?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That's exactly right. At double shoulder width you'll likely be around 13-15 inches off the floor (depending how tall you are). Try to get an inch or two lower every few workouts. You'll probably not be able to get your butt to the floor at that width! Generally speaking you will look at widening your stance when you gain six or so inches in depth. Only widen your stance by a couple of inches - you want to maintain a sense of safety when handling loads with your legs wide. Because strength is specific to the angle of a joint, you can use the same weight to keep making gains in ROM. You also don't need a lot of weight. I typically do 3 sets of 10 or so repetitions (5 on each arm). After the OHPs is a good time to do your isometric stretches - you can even do them in a wide horse stance too!

9. Wildlings

Must. Do. That. Next. Workout. :evil:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! :)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Eh, no problems. Let me know if you run into trouble. Will post a tutorial on MAP/my blog at some point this week. :)

11. Wildlings

Looking forward to it!

12. Wildlings

20/08/2013
    Morning:
    Long relaxed stretching session

Evening:
    Running: 4 km - 500 metres of which walking. Too freakin' hot today - Me is not amused :mad:

Isometric stretching: front splits, level 3

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  13. Wildlings

21/08/2013

Circuit:
    Push ups - day 3
    Overhead press from squat position (8 kg) 30
    Hindu squats 40
    Dumbbell swings (8 kg) 30
    Repeated 3 times with rests of 1:00

Skipped on isometric stretching :cry:

Relaxed stretching later.
    Bonus: some negative pull ups throughout the day with the greasing the groove method.

I've been a bit lazy today. I could probably do more but I honestly felt like crap. I think it must be the heat, not enough water or not enough veggies. Or all of them. And I need to fix this soon.

Overhead presses were bloody hard - one more thing I need to improve. Don't know how wise it was to skip on the isometrics, but I had no more energy at all, plus my adductors were still a bit sore. :mad:

I'll do side split tomorrow together with front splits, which means there's about half an hour of pure masochism waiting for me :happy:

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How did you find the process of lowering your hips with the downward phase of each press?

15. Wildlings

Terrible :D in the good way, of course. Reminds me a bit of the horse stance training I would do some years ago.
    Today I didn't take note of the distance from the floor, it was the first time so I mostly wanted to get a grasp of the exercise. I'll definetly stick with it. :evil:
    Thanks for your support, man! :hat:

16. Wildlings

22/08/2013
    Isometric stretching: side and front splits, level 4

Shin splints flared up once more. No running for me today. :mad:

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Another tip for the OHPs - do them in front of a mirror so you can see how low you go.

Did your shin splints flare up during your side split stretches?

18. Wildlings

No, from jumping after climbing over a gate :D

I'll try OHP in front of the mirror!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

20. Wildlings