Wii

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by chrispy, Nov 21, 2006.

1. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Well I got one, at 8:05 - Launch Day!

It's AWESOME.

The controller superb, you point with it, like a laser pointer, but much steadier, you tilt, shake and wave it, and it interprets your actions flawlessly!

The system really is *small* 3 stacked DVD cases big - slightly bigger than that but it's a very close measurement. And I've had not trouble with it - unlike Sony and MS consoles - it has only been two days so far though.

I got Zelda, Wii Sports- packed in, Excite truck and Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Zelda is cool, and this type on controller makes it that much cooler, it's clear after only 3.5 hours of Zelda time why Miyamoto (Mario and Zelda creator) said after playing Zelda with this set up he couldn't go back.

To swing the sword you flick your wrist (though I tend to make big slashing motions!) to aim your slingshot (and later other weapons) you point the Wii-remote at the TV, it perfectly accurate and MUCH easier than using the stick to aim.

This systems shooters like Call of duty 3 and later Metroid Prime 3 will have the best control set up for a console EVER!

The sports game is good too; all it actually takes is a flick of the wrist to do most of the actions... But after about 2 minutes you are on the edge of your seat making bigger motions, if not standing up to do a whole real life enactment! Playing baseball I was even doing the big leg kick while pitching!!

And it's EASY to pick up and play, my mom and dad were over after church (they are both in their 50) and after about 1 minute my dad had the baseball controls all figured out... and a reluctant mom tried the golf, and but demanded to play a second hole before saying they had to get going!

Its great fun!, super cheap, and a super cool and intuitive use of technology!

The web browser isn't there yet - Opera delayed it I guess, weatehr comes on Dec 20th and News on Jan 27th.. trouble with providers I guess... I have messaged from my wii to my e-mail and phone and back the other way as well... it's awesome.

2. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

That's comforting to read :D We've got one on order for December. Why do we always have to wait over here :cry:

*bounces*

I can't wait to get into Zelda :D

Sounds like sore wrists are on the schedule though...

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I'm so busy that I still haven't pre-ordered mine. Thursday at the latest I'm gonna get mine in and await the mighty Zelda. I seriously think this is going to blow the console war wide open.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Preordered mine today too.

I'd love it if they released Fight Night on the Wii. With that controller, it'd be fantastic.

5. Topher

Topher allo!

I preordered at HMV on Sunday and was told they cannot guarantee one for launch, but I might be lucky.

I put my name down at GAME too and got a message today saying I can preorder one for £20 to guarantee one for Xmas. Dunno of this means launch? I might pre order this too, then which ever I get first, use the other order for a game.

chrispy, how is Excite Truck? I looking to get that along with Zelda.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

why don't you guys just go online and order things from american stores and get them shipped, ebay and the like are wonderful ya know.

7. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

No, I pre-ordered at Game a month ago and they told me then that they could only guarantee before Xmas and not launch. Cost me 20 quid, but I've since had notification that I should be lucky enough to get one at launch *crosses fingers*

However my bruv ordered one yesterday from Argos who have already guaranteed he will get it at launch. Thats probably the place to go.

8. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Have a look at this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTGSkYRDpWY"]Nintendo Wii Sensor Bar Demystified - YouTube[/ame]

I find it a bit frustrating that Nintendo has to lie about trivial stuff, probably to justify overpricing it. The "sensor bar" is nothing more than a couple of infrared LEDs. It's ok to call it something cool, but why do they have to blatantly lie about it? :mad:

Try one of these:

LED Matrix Bar
    Spatial Positional Reference Bar
    Infrared Beacon System
    3D Navigator Bar
    Waa :confused:
    Light Wave Triangulation Assist Device

I am taking bets that if you ever need to replace it, it will cost more than the few cents it is worth (i know, the same is true for every piece or replacement equipment for most consoles!).

I have nothing against the Wii btw, i wish it success with the innovative control scheme, but i really am a PC kind of guy.

9. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Excite truck is great, there is a bit of a learning curve on it though since the vehicles have different stats for traction and such, so in some trucks it's easy to over-steer, while in other you have to over-steer to get where you want to go. It's loads of fun though, my wife was up until 2am yesterday morning playing it.

For Excite truck you can have mp3's on an SD card and listen to that music while you play instead of the repetitive tracks from the game as well.. very cool.

10. Topher

Topher allo!

I dunno where you are but it seems GAME in London (Oxford St) have only just started doing pre orders (at least in store). They previously told me that they were no doing pre orders yet, then I got the message that they were.

They don't know how many consols they are going to get but they said I have a 90% chance i'll get one on day one.

11. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

i dont think its such a good idea to get consoles and the launch date or close to it. they usually have the most glitches and bugs. im gonna wait a couple months for new or fixed versions of a console.

12. Ad McG

I have never had a single problem with any Nintendo product within the first few years. My NES died over ten years after I bought it and completely abused it through that time. I still have a snes, n64, GC and am getting a wii at release (first console I've bought at release), all working perfectly. Sony seem to be fans of using buyers as beta testers but Nintendo have never done that in my experience.

Got mine pre-ordered from woolies on friday, 10% off :)

13. KuKulzA

KuKulzA Taiwanese independence!

14. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

mines still going, i think it's now about 11 years old now :) I haven't actually owned any other nintendo consoles myself (unless your counting gameboys, which have also proved incredibly reliable except when accidentally knocked off desks, out of windows and onto concrete driveways :eek: ) but i've never heard any of my friends mention problems with thier N64s or gamecubes.

15. Ad McG

Never had any problems with official accessories either, including light guns, controllers etc. I've had 2 light guns and numerous controllers break for my ps2, and not from abuse. There are also a couple of loose screws inside two of my current controllers and they sometimes block the pressing of the R2 button which can get very annoying. They're not massive complaints but my experiences have been far more reliable with Nintendo products.

16. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

I have never heard any reliability-complaint for Nintendo products, my Gameboys and my original Donkey Kong Game & Watch all work perfectly - not that i play a lot nowdays ;). I also have a Sega Saturn in perfect condition that has been dragged around for Street Fighter Alpha 2 tournaments numerous times, and various friends own working SNESs. I constantly hear complaints about PSs and PS2s dieing for no reason or their cd drive dieing or whatever. No idea about the XBOX, but i wouldn't get anywhere near the original one anyway!

It will be interesting to see how the Wii controls age, but if past experience is any indication they will be solid and reliable for a long time.

17. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

My only complaint I've ever had about official Nintendo accessories was the N64 controllers. The analogue stick gradually wears down over the years. Some games like Mario Party particularly punished them but just playing normally would do it over a longer period of time. It means I can no longer play 4 player multiplayer on my N64 as most of my pads have gradually broken on me.

There was a major improvement in durability with the Gamecube, although that might possibly down to the fact that I played the Gamecube a fraction of the amount I spent on the N64.

18. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

yeah I have never had a problem with a nintendo console, I have everyone one of mine still NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBASP, DS and Wii and have yet to have a problem with any of them... other than the blowing in the NES carts to get them to work.

19. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

call of duty 3 came out today, for the wii. but no consoles for another week?
    whats that all about?

20. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

After almost 20 years of loyal service my NES is still in good working order with the original box no less!!!

My first ever console and still my fave. Nothing will ever beat my first experience of playing 'Super Mario Brothers' in my own home after spending all my pocket money on it in the local arcade.

I've never had cause to have any complaints with Nintendo and I'm eagerly looking forward to the Wii. Sure, Xbox360 and PS3 have a massive edge over the Wii with regards to on-board technology, graphical power, processor speed and the like, but for sheer fun and innovation Nintendo is where it is at.

I had the option of getting a PSP or a DS Lite, I chose the DS Lite as it has better games available, plus a massive back catalogue of GBA titles to choose from.