Wierd Kickboxing clubs you have visited

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by kickboxingidiot, May 30, 2005.

1. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Lets hear some stories about soem wierd kickboxing clubs you have been to
    Heh heh heh

2. Haha - you asked for it :)

At a local school, I saw an advertisement for "KICKBOXING" with a 3rd dan instructor. Hmm, I thought. Should be interesting.

I warn you now... This post is not a joke :D

I got in, and an old guy (55-60 years) was standing at the door in a judo gi top and blue tracksuit bottoms. He had a can of coke in his hands. He welcomed me etc...

We all stood in lines, 4 deep and a fair way wide (12ish?)

We were introduced to the assistand instructor, who just looked like she'd walked out of a toning gym (all but the pink dumbells - lycra etc :()

He demonstrated what we had to do (first was lead overhead forearm block followed by rear followed by cross - jab (not jab - cross). After a wierd session of him shouting "HOO!" or something similar upon which we had to perform one of these. We then had the woman walk round with thai pads, to each person letting them do 1 to the pads (after the hour and a half we had about 4 things done once to pads).

The old fat guy at the front then decided it was time to open his second can of coke and tell everyone how he was dying for a fag, whilst everyone got their equipment (Elasticated protectors were the order of the day :rolleyes:)

I was asked if I wanted to spar, said yes, and did non contact 3 step!!!

I never saw the fat guy lift his leg above mid thigh level, despite doing a low roundhouse and telling us to do it as high as possible!!! The only stretching we did was box splits. He asked me if I wanted to join at the end, and gave me a lecture. You mustn't be concerned with fighting he said. Just learn technique and it will come to you (JOKER). Then he went on about how he had people in there who could kick my head in, and they just focus on technique. I was not impressed.

Again, this is not a joke. Well it is, but it's a true story.

3. kickboxingidiot

Norm,
    That sounds like a second rate , no sorry 3rd rate karate club.
    It is so unfunny its sickening , what a prat( that fat instructor not you obviously)

4. Wasn't even 3rd rate.

5. kickboxingidiot

LOL
    where is this club based?
    I should have some of Jagtars lads pay it a visit and see if their "technique" helps them when Barinder Singh , Joan Coats , Ian Jarroms and Fahad Maniar kick THIER heads in !!!

6. Hehe - nowhere now. They stopped a little while ago. It's JON btw ;)

Can i just ask who you are, as you seem to be in with the leicester lot.

7. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Don't think this really counts toward the original post, but it's something I think is deplorable.

There is a KB club near me that has been running for a few years (can't find anything more specific I'm afraid), taught by a "five time former British champion instructor". It's run as a HE student club (not Southampton university club (a good one), but another in the area - I don't want to name names because I have no direct experience), and I spoke to about 4 different people who had tried and rejected the club.

The problem was, apparently they would welcome beginners to the lessons, try to get them signed up to a term's fees, then get to sparring with them. By all accounts, this sparring consisted of 2 minute rounds against anyone in the club (regardless of experience), and unfortunately the seniors took this opportunity to stamp their authority. Everyone I spoke to felt that they were treated with excess contact, despite in some cases raising concerns. They were told something along the lines of "well, this is kickboxing, duh". None of them wanted to carry on for more than 3 or 4 lessons, and were put off MAs completely.

I certainly don't think that beginners should be lulled into a false sense of security, but to me this was just a case of a few bullys trying to show off, and I'm suprised to say that the club is still running. At one point I tried to research the club a bit on the pretense of being a beginner, and asked them what organisation they were affiliated to, who their instructor was, what competitions they entered etc. I never got a reply.... maybe they sensed that I wasn't a newbie. I've promised myself I'd go along and train for a session to see what they'd do when a "beginner" kicked back, but I've never found the time (or even been able to get info about when they train, since my first e-mail).

Places like this unfortunately do nothing for MAs, but somehow they just keep rolling along :bang:

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I once wandered into a 'cardio kickboxing' class by mistake. It was embarrassing. Picture some 18-year-old lout, covered with bruises and cuts that very obviously came from being thrown hard onto a mat and pummeled in the face with a boxing glove, flouncing around hitting focus mitts and doing combinations while the instructor tries to 'motivate' everybody. Never again. Never, ever, EVER again.

9. ralphylad

ralphylad New Member

Dodgy Gyms

Ive had my fair share of attending dodgy gyms too when I was younger, after watching Karate Kid, I went along to a Wado Ryu Club the guy charged £20 to join then £1.50 per session (a expensive class back then) most of the learners paid for equipment from him, GI's/Nunchacs/Pads etc, he instructed about 3 sessions then he didnt turn up anymore.
    Absolutely ripped our eyes out and pulled our pants down...in one swift Wado movement.

10. kickboxingidiot

Was that the NASSKC?
    Wado Ryu Sport karate?

Thats my original back ground :eek:

11. ralphylad

ralphylad New Member

I cant even remember he had a tash it was in Thornaby.

howay man it was about 15 year ago....

12. JethroGazeleus

JethroGazeleus New Member

ANyone here train at Leicester Kickboxing?

13. dadder12

dadder12 New Member

is that with james burndett?

14. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Not Kickboxing but years back I thought about taking up TKD as I wanted a style to help with leg flexibility anyway I was teaching at a hall where a TKD class was also held so I turned up one night acting like i'd never done any MA I decided to sit and watch though the first lesson, anyway the instructor was this old guy as fat as a pig with his side kick who looked like he enjoyed the company of very young people. (scarry man) any how there where 3 young children and two teenagers at this club after 20 minutes of warm up they spent the next 50 minutes on a front kick after which the instructor asked me if I found the class interesting stating that he prefared to work on just one technique each lesson so students fully understood the technique????? anyway I made my excusses and left.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005