Wich style of kung-fu should I pickup?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ChaserHUN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. ChaserHUN

ChaserHUN New Member

Hi there!

I want to learn kung-fu. I don't want to compete or anything like that. Just for self defense and discipline.

I took 2 wing chun lessons with one of my friends. I liked it, but he said it was a bit difficult for him at first. He took kyokoushin karate like 10 years ago and compared it to that. I didn't learn any martial arts as of now. He said we should check out other styles of kung-fu too.

There are Ch'ang Dung Sheng Shaolinf Kung Fu, Xing Yi Quan Shaolin Kung Fu, and there are a few other Wing Chun schools as well. I tried to read upon them. Usually what I find is that win chun os more straight forward and easier to master than shaolin kung-fu.

What are your opinions on theese styles? Wich is the easiest to master, and wich is the most effective in your opinion?

Thank you all for your help!

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Just so you know where i am coming from I teach a style of kung fu called southern shaolin hung family fist. The use of the name shaolin does not mean that an art was practiced in the the shaolin monasteries.

I had not heard of Ch'ang Dung Sheng Shaolin Kung Fu. This in itself does not mean much, the world of traditional arts is vast and there are many extremely good small schools. Looking on the internet it seams to be a blend of Chinese wrestling and tie chi. Both excellent arts. Chinese wrestling very practical and effective from the get go. tie chi very practical for a more experienced fighter so moving from wrestling to tie chi is a nice fit.

Xing Yi Quan. has several well known lineages and is a very practical style.

I would strongly recommend that you go and try out both clubs. The feel of the club and practical considerations like how easy is it to get to the training hall are as important as the art when starting up a new hobby.

In my personal criticism of win chung is that it is really dull. Chinese wrestling - awsome. Xing Yi - stunning striking power. win chung - its a bit Blah!

Mitlov likes this.
  3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  4. ChaserHUN

ChaserHUN New Member

Some say on other sites and Wing Chun is more practical nowdays, shaloin is more for shoe off, others say that wing chun misses a lot of good things.
    By the way this is the main site for the Chang Dung Shang site
    SKAH

I liked the two wing chun classes, but gonna check out this one as well, and decide wich I like better.