"Why You Do Like That?" Weights, Martials and 'The Healthy'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by SoKKlab, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

More natural Bodybuilding Clips for Strength and Muscle Mass

Another clip of Natural Bodybuilders Paul Toomey and Sean O'Keefe of Blitz Gym, South Harrow. On how to grow your Muscle Mass, how to train to get stronger and bigger, how long they train for, what type of training they rotate etc.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_XtR4Ab6M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_XtR4Ab6M[/ame]

Paul is training Sean for a Natural Bodybuilding show later this year. They just completed a 6-week Strength Phase (where Sean went up to flat benching 250 kilos x 2 at a bodyweight of approx 90 kilos).

They're now in a more Hypertrophy (Muscle Size) phase. So going from lower strength-orientated reps into a higher rep, higher set style of training.

In this info packed gym clip you get some of the answers the following hot burning questions:

- How to mix Strength and Hypertrophy Phases to build huge Strength and gain Lean Muscle Mass?

- How to release more growth hormone and train 'weak' body parts

- How to Gain consistent Muscle IF you're skinny (or starting off skinny), or find yourself 'plateauing'

- How to get consistently stronger and bigger and stay lean

etc etc

I had to reschedule business trip - I missed out on the opp to train martials with a couple of people.

I didn't go the gym today (tomorrow AM is looking okay at the mo). Because some stupid ononist was screaming in the street from 12 til 2 am and kicking the crudites out of my neighbour's door - 4 hour's sleep and a flooded washing machine - pah just not hardcore enough!

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. SoKKlab

Bit busy completing some products and projects at present. So no trainings listed for the mo. Going smoothly up through the gears at present.

Here's some new clips you might find of interest:

"Super Dumbbell Lunges/ Are Most Supplements Total BS?"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3EcPBOMC9M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3EcPBOMC9M[/ame]

"Strength and Mass Foods - Penaut Butter and Honey Oatcake Sandwiches"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXMES9YA0U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXMES9YA0U[/ame]

"The Big Shake - Better than Most Commercial Mass Gainers?"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO6eBSkms_8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO6eBSkms_8[/ame]

"Shafih Sahak - Emerging Boxer on Speed, Power etc for Boxing"
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-8zN4Xyzc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-8zN4Xyzc[/ame]

See you soon xoxoxo

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

These are excellent and are a very good substitute for biscuits (my usual Achilles' Heel). I have also been making peanut butter, oats, honey, coco powder and shaved coconut 'balls' for extra extraness. These are great, but look like little balls of poo. Oh well, can't have it all

4. SoKKlab

Little dusty chocolate balls? (Nicole ScrweewrerraZsinger)

Did make something similar to these. Made Y Flum (Welsh Dish better known as 'Flummery') - You put a tray of oats in a hot cooker that's off and tamping down. All night in the bottom tray.

They pop and ooze a gelatinous substance. You then mix that with food of choice. In this case pb, cocao or other fortified powder, coconut block etc.

Do you just add uncooked oats to the pb etc Harry? IF so I can start making these. Any excuse to make a mess in the kitchen ;)

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yep, just mix up the dry stuff (about 3-4 times as much oats as the combined amount of cocoa/coconut) chuck in a load of pb and a bit of honey and smoosh it together, then scoop some out and roll it in to a ball, make more, put them on baking paper in the fridge to set a bit and off you go. I use chunky pb, runny honey and unsweetened cocoa
    Too dry? More honey and pb
    Too sticky? More oats and cocoa
    Made too much? No you didn't
    Nice a simple, but like me :)

Edit: oh, no cooking at all, just mixing :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  6. SoKKlab

Thanks Harry

I'll make some of these this weekend - I might also make some Flummery and shoot a clip of it.

So the ingredients are:

Oats
    Cocoa
    Runny Honey
    Peanut Butter (Is Crunchy better than Smooth?)
    Block of coconut milk

Right?

Cheers :D

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Your choice of smooth/crunchy pb :)
    I use shaved (dessicated) coconut, dunno how it would go with coconut milk, suppose it depends on dampness but you could always add more dry ingredients - good luck and happy mixing!
    Oh yeah, make video Flummery plz

8. SoKKlab

What do you think these "Little Dusty Chocolate Balls" would be like baked?

Did you try that already?

Hmmm I wonder.

And of course you could experiment with cashew butter instead of peanut etc.

I suppose a block of coconut milk would start to liquify once mixed right?

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I think if you baked them they would just spread all over the tray in a very thin layer - they kind of do that without the extra heat if you either a) have too much honey (or the honey is super runny) or b) don't store them in the fridge.

I suppose you could dry bake the oats first if you wanted to, then do a cold mixture. Or you could put them in cupcake papers (and a cupcake/muffin baking tray) to try to contain them if you want to try the baking...

I like it because it's simple and doesn't need any oven interaction.

Yeah I think coconut milk might end up a bit too runny, but I'm sure you could offset it with less pb/honey or more oats if you want to use coconut milk.

I've seen other variants where you make a 'core' mix of oats, pb and honey, roll that into balls, mix the cocoa powder and coconut flakes/shavings together separately, then coat the sticky balls in the cocoa/coconut mixture.

This is all prime for quoting out of context.

10. SoKKlab

"A Fistful of Barbell"

"A Fistful of Barbell"

Not got much time to upload training seshs at present. But thought I'd make a contribution with a few musings. Please remember I'm not (in the main) training to failure - Bodyweight 102.5 kgs (send food quick!) - 1 hour weights, 20 ins bag and floor to ceiling ball.

I like sessions like this because I get to play about with lifts etc not done for a few years. As long as I do the main 2 lifts well, I can twerk about with some other 'stuffs'.

Warmups = Throw some shapes and pull faces.

Deadlifts

1) 40kg x 10, 80kg x 8, 120kg x 6 (All sumos as the warm up sets)
    2) 120kgs x 6 (normals ohand)
    3) 140 kgs x 6 (ditto)
    4) 160 kgs x 5 (mixed grip)
    5) 180 kgs x 4 (mixed and chalk)
    6) 200 kgs x 3 (mixed and chalk)
    7) 220 kgs x 2 (mixed and chalk)

Step Cycle, like a hacksaw. Trying to be sci-fi here. So sticking to certain reps and poundages. One rep gains and all that.

Standing Single Leg Ham Curls

Bringing a couple of isolations back into training for fun. And for hamstrings like space hoppers. Must remember to turn heel in to hit all 3 heads (Mentzer).

x 35 kgs x 15
    x 45 kgs x 12

On Haunches Barbell Raises

Not done these for 4 years at least. Still no idea what you call them. Kneel and sit on your haunches with a Barbell in Squat/ Good Morning position. Insteps flat to the floor.

Raise body up from sitting on haunches to upright. ****-mangler. I could crack walnuts between my buttcheeks after doing these.

+ 60 kgs x 35
    + 80 kgs x 30

Low Back Hack Squat - Backwards Zercher

Just mucking about as not done these for at least 4 years either. What is it? Well the Bar's in rack at belly button height. Your back to it. Loop arms over bar so it's in your elbow folds - Hands on your ribs.

Squat - Careful of your balance as it's a weird feeling. And you'll teeter forwards.

x 100 kgs x 14
    x 120 kgs x 10

You're really strong in this position. It's easy to make big progress with this lift - Apart from balance which really is a doozy. Might do this again quite soon.

Standing Ohead DB Press

45 kgs x 10
    65 kgs x 7
    75 kgs x 6
    90 kgs x 5
    100 kgs x 5
    110 kgs (negs only) x 5

My shoulders are much repaired. Due to me NOT doing anything stoopid to wreck them again. Their structure is now better. So I can start lifting heftier presses from here. Glad to be rid of that "Burning Shoulder Pain".

Dips - Straight

Again not done dips for a year or so - Great fun. And my shoulders felt fine.

x 20 (hands face out)
    x 10 + 40 kgs (hands face in)
    x 8 + 60 kgs (out)

Bent O'er DB Raise-Row

x 35 kgs to failure (about 25 reps)

Dumbell Shrugs

200 lbs x 14 plus static hold
    250 lbs x 8 plus static hold

Bagwork Lumpen banging, some 'streetdance' footwork, fast hands, sets of roundhouses x 7, kuching roundhouses from the deck 2 x 7.

Some crazy floor-to-ceiling-ball work - Stretch out and then coach a couple of folk on their squats and correct arm position for barbell ohead press (it's not where you think)...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  11. SoKKlab

"A Fistful of Barbell"

"A Fistful of Barbell"

Not got much time to upload training seshs at present. But thought I'd make a contribution with a few musings. Please remember I'm not (in the main) training to failure - 1 hour weights, 20 ins bag and floor to ceiling ball.

I like sessions like this because I get to play about with lifts etc not done for a few years. As long as I do the main 2 lifts well, I can twerk about with some other 'stuffs'.

Warmups = Throw some shapes and pull faces.

Deadlifts

1) 40kg x 10, 80kg x 8, 120kg x 6 (All sumos as the warm up sets)
    2) 120kgs x 6 (normals ohand)
    3) 140 kgs x 6 (ditto)
    4) 160 kgs x 5 (mixed grip)
    5) 180 kgs x 4 (mixed and chalk)
    6) 200 kgs x 3 (mixed and chalk)
    7) 220 kgs x 2 (mixed and chalk)

Step Cycle, like a hacksaw. Trying to be sci-fi here. So sticking to certain reps and poundages. One rep gains and all that.

Bringing a couple of isolations back into training for fun. And for hamstrings like space hoppers. Must remember to turn heel in to hit all 3 heads (Mentzer).

x 35 kgs x 15
    x 45 kgs x 12

On Haunches Barbell Raises

Not done these for 4 years at least. Still no idea what you call them. Kneel and sit on your haunches with a Barbell in Squat/ Good Morning position. Insteps flat to the floor.

Raise body up from sitting on haunches to upright. ****-mangler. I could crack walnuts between my buttcheeks after doing these.

+ 60 kgs x 35
    + 80 kgs x 30

Low Back Hack Squat - Backwards Zercher

Just mucking about as not done these for at least 4 years either. What is it? Well the Bar's in rack at belly button height. Your back to it. Loop arms over bar so it's in your elbow folds - Hands on your ribs.

Squat - Careful of your balance as it's a weird feeling. And you'll teeter forwards.

x 100 kgs x 14
    x 120 kgs x 10

You're really strong in this position. It's easy to make big progress with this lift - Apart from balance which really is a doozy. Might do this again quite soon.

Standing Ohead DB Press

45 kgs x 10
    65 kgs x 7
    75 kgs x 6
    90 kgs x 5
    100 kgs x 5
    110 kgs (negs only) x 5

My shoulders are much repaired. Due to me NOT doing anything stoopid to wreck them again. Their structure is now better. So I can start lifting heftier presses from here. Glad to be rid of that "Burning Shoulder Pain".

Dips - Straight

Again not done dips for a year or so - Great fun. And my shoulders felt fine.

x 20 (hands face out)
    x 10 + 40 kgs (hands face in)
    x 8 + 60 kgs (out)

Bent O'er DB Raise-Row

x 35 kgs to failure (about 25 reps)

Dumbell Shrugs

250 lbs x 8 plus static hold

Bagwork Lumpen banging, some 'streetdance' footwork, fast hands, sets of roundhouses x 7, kuching roundhouses from the deck 2 x 7.

Some crazy floor-to-ceiling-ball work - Stretch out and then coach a couple of folk on their squats and correct arm position for barbell ohead press (it's not where you think)...

12. SoKKlab

"For A Few Barbells More"

"For A Few Barbells More"

Body weight 102 kgs/ 227 pounds/ 16 stone or so - Tonk

Tuesday 24th June 2014 - It was hot. And a great day to be a Zombie

Still not got much time to upload training seshs at present. Though you might like to read my witterings.

Please remember I'm not training to failure - 1 hour weights, 20 ins bag and floor to ceiling ball.

Mostly I'm practicing my strength. Only training once a week with the weights at the mo. And for the foreseeable future.

Warmups = Throw some shapes and pull faces "Streetdance, Jazz Hands, Wolfpack".

Back Squat

1) 70 kgs x 8 (45 secs rest)
    3) 100 kgs x 6 (ditto)
    4) 130 kgs x 5 (ditto)
    5) 160 kgs x 4 (1.30 rest)
    6) 180 kgs x 3 (ditto)
    7) 200 kgs x 3 (2.30 mins rest)
    8) 210 kgs x 3 (3 mins rest)
    9) 210 kgs x 2 (ditto)

Cranked those out in 35 mins. Had to push myself to do the last coupla sets. Not bad.

Not lifting any higher than that at the mo. Still monitoring the integrity of my lower back - About 92.979797% - Pretty good. Slowly bringing my accessory lifts back up in weight to allow safety in the weightier matters.

Remember "Intensity wanes when volume gains"...;)

Rack Pulls - Lowest Pins, Top o Shin

1) 140 kgs x 6 (ditto)
    2) 160 kgs x 5 (mixed grip)
    3) 180 kgs x 4 (mixed and chalk)
    4) 205 kgs x 3 (mixed and chalk)
    5) 225 kgs x 2 (mixed and chalk)
    6) 245 kgs x 2 (ditto)

Step Cycle, like a hacksaw. Trying to be sci-fi here. So sticking to the prescribed reps and poundages (well, as best I can). One rep gains and all that. Going back up through the gears to 300 kgs and beyond.

Bringing a couple of isolations back into training for fun. And for hamstrings like space hoppers. Must remember to turn heel in to hit all 3 heads (Mentzer, again).

x 35 kgs x 15
    x 45 kgs x 12

Dumbell Shrugs

250 lbs x 8 plus static hold (best gurn here)
    250 lb (Cable Pulley - Behind Back)

Bagwork

Welsh Country Dancing footwork, fast hands, sets of roundhouses x 7 continuous fast, low medium and a bit more medium - New 150 pound bag is awesome and hefty.

Some crazy floor-to-ceiling-ball work - Stretch out and chopsing - Disglair, tidy-like. Cheers Ears :D

13. SoKKlab

How to Get Stronger Quicker

Here's some prat (slowblob?) yakking about 'How to Get Stronger Quicker'...

Deals with:

- 'Natural accumulation and depletion'
    - 'Cns adaptation'
    - Best two options for strength training
    - 'Why steroid users tend to get a lot of tendon and ligament tears' etc

And much much more

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKcYJagCHB8"]Muscle Voodoo - How To Get Stronger Quicker - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  14. SoKKlab

The Good, The Bad and The Barbell

"The Good, The Bad and The Barbell"

Body weight 102 kgs/ 227 pounds/ 16 stone or so - Still Tonk

Friday 18th July 2014 - It was hot. I trained later in the day. Glad I did. As I was feeling sunlazy. And again. It was a great day to be a Zombie

Still not got much time to upload training seshs at present. Though you might like to read my witterings. Are you reading my witterings? I do hope so.

Please remember I'm not training to failure. Reppage Settage is mostly hybrid between Mass Range (8 to 6) and Strength Range (5 and below) - 1 hour weights, 20 ins bag and floor to ceiling ball.

Mostly I'm practicing my strength. Only training once a week with the weights at the mo. And for the foreseeable future. Time constrained...

Warmups = Throw some shapes and pull faces "Barafundle, Barber's Chair, Screaming Toddler..."

Back Squat

1) 70 kgs x 8 (45 secs rest)
    3) 100 kgs x 6 (ditto)
    4) 130 kgs x 5 (ditto)
    5) 160 kgs x 4 (1.30 rest)
    6) 180 kgs x 3 (ditto)
    7) 200 kgs x 3 (2.30 mins rest)
    8) 210 kgs x 3 (3 mins rest)
    9) 210 kgs x 2 (ditto)

Cranked those out in 35 mins. Had to push myself to do the last coupla sets. Not bad. I'm NOT trying to do anything more with my Back Squat at present.

Because I'm still monitoring the integrity of my lower back - About 92.979797% - Pretty good. Slowly bringing my accessory lifts back up in weight to allow safety in the weightier matters.

I will say though my back has been feeling a tad twingy. Made worse by sitting and writing (goes with territory) And I'm really careful that what I'm doing is helping and not hindering.

Remember "Intensity wanes when volume gains"...You'll see my first few sets are all cranked fast. To get momentum.

Your ATP/CP system grants you approx 35 minutes of scuush. IF your sets are cranked out (all) fast - Then more like 30 minutes of ATP. After that it's all Glycogen. Do you - like me - notice a distinct 'runner's wall' type feel?

Rack Pulls - Lowest Pins, Top o Shin

1) 145 kgs x 4 (ditto)
    2) 165 kgs x 4 (mixed grip)
    3) 185 kgs x 4 (mixed and chalk)
    4) 205 kgs x 2 (mixed and chalk)
    5) 215 kgs x 2 (ditto)
    5) 235 kgs x 2 (mixed and chalk)
    6) 245 kgs x 2 (ditto)

Okay I was doing these with about 1 to 2 mins max rest between each set. Towards the end that was really pushing it. Get it done before you want to quit.

Building the middle sets weight up - So less reps. Again monitor back for twinges and shooting pains.

Step Cycle, like a hacksaw. Trying to be sci-fi here. So sticking to the prescribed reps and poundages (well, as best I can). One rep gains and all that. Going back up through the gears to 300 kgs and beyond.

Wide-Grip (High Pulls) Upright Rows

These used to be called High Pulls (weightlifting manuals 40's, 50's). Now though the High Pull has a hop. These are no hop.

Narrow-Grip Upright Rows tend to screw most folks shoulders. Wide gripsters that get the correct 'line of pull', do not - You end up almost like a 'Face Pull' - With 'scapula rotation'. Bar hits you around the nipple line (fellas, not women, as that could be ankles for some... :D )

Hands 18 inches to 2ft or so apart. Nice feeling in your traps, upper back and shoulders.

Oly Bar x 12
    + 20 kgs x 10
    40 kgs x 10
    60 kgs x 8

Bagwork

Welsh Country Dancing footwork again, fast hands, sets of roundhouses x 7 continuous fast, low medium and a bit more medium - New 150 pound bag is still awesome and hefty. I really like kicking it. You can really lamp it.

Did more Muay Chaiya Roundhouses on some (leaning back more with hands up). Kuching Roundhouses off the deck. Ling Lom!

Some crazy floor-to-ceiling-ball work - Stretch out, snacks and knackered home.

Good Luck

15. SoKKlab

Sunday 20th July 2014

The park training with a friend.

Council has put some fitness gear in the park - Including quite a staunch Leg Press, an Industrial Strength Nordic Track Skier thingy, and a load of Bodyweight Presses - Used them and went mad. Did about 100 reps each on the chest press, shoulder press, row, etc...Thicko...

A skinny guy with proper weightlifting mitts on mean-looked me as he primped and flexed a bit - Strewth!

So I went and practiced my monkey bar technique in the kiddies play area - More fun anyway.

Pretty good - Managed 7 'runs' across the pegs. And a nice stretch after Friday's Rack Pulls Squatathon - And no chimp face neither.

Going to a coupla Panuntukan seminars in Sept and October - Yeh Partial Arts !!

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool! Where be your Panantukan seminars to, and who with?