"Why You Do Like That?" Weights, Martials and 'The Healthy'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by SoKKlab, Apr 27, 2013.

1. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool, look forward to it :D can you also do a bit on breathing (vacuum, farmer burns, iso/squat compression etc), and expanders (please)? Ta.

Oh yeah, I've been trying to get in touch with that mate of mine in Nodnol - we keep missing each others calls, but I should get to speak to him at lunch time so I'll let you know what he's up to (if owt at all yet)

Cheers
    Harry

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I use the patented "Fatty/ No Fatty" method. Which is basically 'pinch an inch, or not?'. (Bread Belly/ Lamb Belly).

At the gym though there's calipers. And a fancy 'tens' like machine that measures body fat. The competing powerlifters and bodybuilders use it a lot.

We were laughing the other day because Ste used it and it basically went off the chart. I think he realises he's got 'some way to go' before his show in late 2014 :D

3. SoKKlab

Got a few planned. Need to rope someone in to do the camerawork on those. Else I'll be demoing something and be 'out of frame' (a lot) and not be able to tell.

Keep the on the backburner as a reminder.

Thank you. Much appreciated Harry.

4. SoKKlab

Strength and Power Secrets?

More prattling from me. I promised my Mam I'd stop it. But feel compelled.

In this I talk about healing up quicker, lifts for contact sports, calorific ratios, what supplements you could take IF you're not healing up quick enough etc etc.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG2_c59EVww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG2_c59EVww[/ame]

5. SoKKlab

More Flat Cap and Braces

Saturday 22nd March 2014

So I'm looking to do separate grip and expander work once each 2 weeks or so. Hefty grip work is it effects your other training. Hence why I do it no closer than 2 days before deadlifts (it effects deads more than anything else).

Pilates Band Warmup

The heftiest Pilates Band is 50 lb or so of resistance. So I double it up to make maybe 100 lb resistance. And that makes for a good warmup.

In which I did: Band Aparts, Shoulder Dislocations, Crucifix Pull and Press and Chest Expander - 3 sets of 2 minutes at a time.

When you're doing band aparts though to get full benefit do them as a 'expander' motion. So pin your shoulderblades together at the end of the pull. That gets you 15.77% more scuuush.

Crush Grippers

Alternating Crush Gripping with Expander work

250 lb Crush Grip

x 5 (per arm natch)
    x 6 (with a 10 sec hold at closed)
    x 5 (ditto - working on my grip endurance more now)

300 lb Crush Grip

Easier this time. Which means:

1) CNS is or has adapted 2) Well rested - more than last time (judgement required)

Expander using my rather ragged Power Pushup 2.

Still wanting to get hold of an Elastikon 5 (300 lb plus resistance?) expander yet. Note to self contact the makers direct in mid-April 2014 onwards.

Might treat myself to a Samson Expander (400 plus lb resistance?) instead - Note to self these cost 100 US dollars.

Anyway am still using my trusty Power Pushup 2 (still going strong since 2005) - which has about 240 lbs of max resistance. To do my current 'most bestest' exercises.

Chest Expander

Suck your stomach in so it's flat and hold your core tight for extra benefits. Pull. And pin your shoulderblades together at the end of the motion. And push your chest fully out. For added superbreath benefits.

7 (with statics in the locked out for 5 secs each on the last 2 sets)

Back Press (Side Press) Lower Back for More Resistance

Not enough resistance for me to do a higher back press. So drop the strand to your lumborum and press from there. Heads of shoulders really feel the work, hard.

Behind The Back Diagonal Cross Press and Pulldown

Easier than the front body Cross. Puts more emphasis on the Triceps. Less on the Shoulders and Uppers.

Diagonal Cross Press and Pulldown

I usually just call this a cross press. Although it's part push part pull. This puts equal emphasis on tris and shoulders. Entire body reaction actually. As in you feel it in your toes.

Hold the strand in front of you at a diagonal angle. Your upper hand palm out. Lower hand palm down.

Breath in. Suck your guts in and keep tight whilst breathing.

Now start the motion by pressing up and back into a single arm shoulder press. And just after start the downward 'pulldown' which is actually a pressing motion too. Press down and back.

You end up doing a shoulder press and triceps pulldownpress at the same time. Really hard.

I usually hold each rep for a few seconds in the expanded position. This really makes it like being strained through a mincer. But the benefit to my shoulders is excellent.

x 5 (because it's hard)

Whilst this is an 'all-body' exercise...If you want to work the middle head and inner head of your triceps more then twist your downward palm out more (little finger side turns out).

NOTE to SELF - You STILL need to Make a clip of these expander's malarkey.

The whole training took me 35 minutes. A fantastic continuous 'loop'.

Took the rest of the week off from lifting. As did 10 week cycle. Then 1 week away from the iron to recoup.

Back to the gym today (friday 28th March 2014) for more Deadlifting, Squats etc.

Be lucky Y'all

6. SoKKlab

Hefty Cream

Friday 28th March 2014

Aka 'Hefty Cream?'

A little bit more martialing done this week. 'Exchanged hands' with the Ju Jitsu lot at the gym. And a bit of Muay Thai when 'IGlass' turned up. Because he was doing a job one street away.

'You kick me, I'll kick you back' (and repeat) - You Elbow me I'll elbow you back'.

Gym was 1 hr of weights, 20 mins bagwork etc at the end. Sadly no Arthur Saxon moustaches were worn in the making of this production. Bodyweight 16 stone 5 pounds - about 104 kilos or 229 pounds.

I'm not training to failure on any set. Supps? None apart from the basic Fish Oil, multi-mineral, 'Big Shake' daily (own recipe 'for disaster' ;) ). Steak, eggs, cottage cheese (goats), brown rice, peanut butter honey oatcake sandwichs and sauerkraut (no. Still NOT all at the same time).

Back Squats - Strong Back Required

Squats before Deads as I been neglecting them

70 kgs x 8 (pausation)
    110 kgs x 8 (pausation and fast pos)
    130 kgs x 8 (ditto)
    160 kgs x 6 (ditto)
    180 kgs x 3 (rest-pause, 3 sec pause in the pocket)
    205 kgs x 3 (ditto - About 80% of my current 1RM)
    205 kgs x 3 ("I'll just do one more set - Legs Moidah")

Alternating the Squats with something really old school.

DB Pullo'er

40 kg DB x 10
    ditto x 8
    ditto x 6

Why? Open the ribbox. Recoups breath for Squats faster. Definitely did something.

Well I did regret so much reppage-settage. In a good way? Gladly my - again - back was surprisingly solid (90.7777777%). But don't push it...(no really Don't push it).

Deadlifts

Took a week off from Deadlifting. Sorta kinda helped. Probably shouda taken 2 weeks off. Still after this 8 week programme I shall? After Squats though I'm unlikely to be able to do THAT much.

Remember how I'm:

A) Deadlifting each session for approx 5 Work Sets

B) Working on increasing my grip endurance at heftier weights (Slow progress)

Maxi Set to start -

80 kg x 6 120 kg x 6 (All Snatch Grip)

145 kg x 3 (Snatch Width Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    165 kg x 3 (Sumos Mixed Grip and Liquid Chalk from here)
    195 kg x 2 (Normal stance Mixed Grip Chalk - Grip Enduro slowly better)
    200 kg x 2 (Straps here Normal hand and stance - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 2 (ditto) (Glad to finish here)

Principle remains the same. End your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Take it reasonably easy. Build slowly with consistency. Enjoy yourself and the process.

Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Still more exciting than a poke in the eye with a stick, huh?

Power Cleans

The poor buggers always get left to the end.

For the quick bangbangs from the deck.

60 kgs x 6
    80 kgs x 4
    100 kgs x 2 (and that was definitely enough of that - knew I'd regret it for days to come)

Bagwork, Floor 2 Ceiling Ball etc - about 20 mins

Softer 60 pound bag first for Fast hands, elbows and good stepping.

Heftier 100 lb'er started with Kuching Roundhouses 2 sets of 7 from the deck (Still a Genius!). Roundhouses Kicks - better - Sets of 7's and 6's both sides.

Elbows (sok sab - diagonal upwards and sok tad - cutting elbow) combined with hacksaws - percussion slaps (grinding arms) - The Pincer Principle in full effect.

Some axe knee, rising knee, jumping and springing knee (take flight, again...). Max power in the axe knees.

Stretch out, no fat conjugated milk malarkey and exchange of recipes for 'power flapjacks' (We're like the Women's Institute but a tad more buff :D. )...Nice.

Shot a couple more clips for Uchubes, including this one If You missed it "Strength and Power Secrets for Contact and Combat Sports":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG2_c59EVww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG2_c59EVww[/ame]

More uploads this week. As? Why not > Someone's got to proffer sympathy to the mentally ill (may's well be folks on uchube saying 'aw bless, he's wearing a fancy bonnet')...:hat:

7. SoKKlab

Crush On You

Gripwork

And ONLY some Gripwork - No Expanders this sesh. Was tempted but held fast on the no. Because I didn't feel it would help my recouping that much at that point.

250 lb Crush Gripper

x 5 (inc a 5 second static)

Transition Set 250 lb x 3

into

300 lb Crush Gripper

x 3 (upside down grip)
    x 3 (ditto)
    x 2 (not easy and not 'healed up yet')

Hindu Dancer O'head Crush with the 350 lb Gripper

Place Gripper in palms with fingers linked.

Squeeze a tad and put o'er yer ed

Squidge together for mega shoulder crush (bit like a Bullworker)

2 sets of 3 with static holds for the palm palm crush.

'Bullworker Crush' as a 5 second static in front of body - Isometrics Baby!

Exploding Death Star Hand Iso Hand Stretch

Sci-FI ! Do the opposite of the crushes so you don't end up with hands like 'The Hooded Claw'.

Here's a Clip IF You can't currently do Back Squats (Strong Legs Alternate Lifts etc)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRAW2PRlDs0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRAW2PRlDs0[/ame]

More Uchubes upcoming (and some in the gym) if anybody's interested?

Good Luck and Good Eating :Angel:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. SoKKlab

Passanda or Makhani? Iz a Tuff Choice!

Wednesday 2nd April 2014

And yet still more martialing this week. Did some 'Lock Flows' with the Ju Jitsu lot at the gym (they're so kind to let me bother them when they're practising for their gradings).

Also did a bit more Muay Thai with Peanut and 'Dangerous' in the park for half hour the other pm. Can't really get the Thai Martial Arts Group going again as people are spread too far out now (for a peak moment all were within a coupla miles)...

Anyway I'm chopsy. So I end up showing them loads of variations. Mostly Knees and Elbows and some Stand Up Grappling. Including a load of wicked 'Ling Lom' style throws from the clinch (scare the crud out of your Muay Thai classmates... :D)

Gym was 1 hr of weights, 20 mins bagwork etc at the end. Sadly no Olde Skool onesies were worn in the making of this production. Bodyweight 16 stone 5 pounds - about 104 kilos or 229 pounds.

No belts no wraps and no day old baps.

I'm not training to failure on any set. Supps? None apart from the basic Fish Oil, multi-mineral, 'Big Shake' daily (own recipe 'for disaster' ). Steak, eggs, cottage cheese (goats), brown rice, peanut butter honey oatcake sandwichs and sauerkraut (no. Honestly. Still NOT all at the same time).

Back Squats - Strong Back Required

I again opted for Squats. And again opted for Squats before Deads as I been neglecting them.

70 kgs x 8 (pausation)
    110 kgs x 8 (pausation and fast pos)
    130 kgs x 8 (ditto)
    160 kgs x 5 (ditto)
    180 kgs x 4 (rest-pause, 3 sec pause in the pocket)
    205 kgs x 2 (ditto - About 80% of my current 1RM)
    210 kgs x 2 ("I'll just do one more set...")

Gladly my - again - back was surprisingly solid (90.7777777%). So I took it up a notch to 210 kgs. My legs are easily strong enough to Squat 3 times my bodyweight. But I am concerned about the 'integrity' of my back.

I want to make sure I'm not doing myself lasting damage...Nobody likes a 75 year old crippled weightlifter. And I don't fancy spending my fifth youth in front of a one-bar electric fire eating macaroni n cheese out of a can neither...:D

Deadlifts

After Squats though I'm unlikely to be able to do THAT much. But I did more than normally. And they were mostly easy. So was well-rested then and had recouped (always a good sign).

Remember how I'm:

Maxi Set to start - 100 kg x 4 120 kg x 4 (All Snatch Grip)

145 kg x 3 (Sumo Double Ohand)
    165 kg x 3 (Sumo Mixed Grip and Liquid Chalk from here)
    210 kg x 2 (Straps here Normal hand and stance - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 2 (Sumo Mixed Grip) (So tempted to lift sumat far heftier from here)

I think the Sumo is my current crush. And so you'll see me doing more of it as we go on our journey together :love:

Grip endurance adapting slowly, I know. Principle remains the same. End your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Take it reasonably easy. Build slowly with consistency. Enjoy yourself and the process.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Still more exciting than a poke in the eye with a stick, huh?

Standing Ohead DB Press

The poor buggers always get left to the end. I was rushing through these so I could finish bang on 1 hour. But great fun doing rack runs.

Rack Run (Continuous Set)
    20 kgs x 10, 25 kgs x 9 30 kgs x 8, 35 kgs x 7

35 kgs x 8, 40 kgs x 7, 45 kgs x 6

45 kgs x 7, 50 kgs x 6, 55 kgs x 5

60 kgs x 6, 70 kgs x 5

80 kgs x 4

100 kgs x 3

105 kgs x 3 (Der Pumper)

My shoulders seem to be fine now I turned my palms to face my head on all ohead shoulder presses (like a log lift but no log). No more 'acid in the joints'. So I'll gradually start to lift more here. Now I know I'm not 'grinding my joints to dust' I can take it back up a few notches.

Did summat else but can't remember right now.

Bagwork, Floor 2 Ceiling Ball etc - about 20 mins

Softer 60 pound bag first for Fast hands, elbows and good stepping.

Heftier 100 lb'er started with Kuching Roundhouses 2 sets of 7 from the deck (Still a Genius!). Roundhouses Kicks - better - Sets of 7's and 6's both sides.

Elbows (sok sab - diagonal upwards and sok tad - cutting elbow) combined with hacksaws - percussion slaps (grinding arms) - The Pincer Principle in full effect.

Some axe knee, rising knee, jumping and springing knee (take flight, again...). Max power in the axe knees great stopping power should you need it.

Stretch out, no fat conjugated milk malarkey. And a half a bag of yogurt coated raisins (CARBS!).

Hmmmm Chicken Passanda and Coconut Rice - Check out my Onion Bhajis.

Shot a couple more clips for Uchubes - Need to edit a couple pieces. Will start shooting clips in the gym from end of the month onwards.

Good Luck and may all your dreams come true. Apart from the one where you're on fire and falling from a 50 storey building :Angel:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  9. SoKKlab

Crushed by Der Feet

Saturday 5th April 2014 - Gripwork

Okay more Crush Gripping. Why? Well I got a small financial interest in a 'security co' that I helped set up a few years ago. Part of the deal is that I occasionally need to fill in for one of the bounces that can't do their shift.

Almost had to do that the other week. And thought 'cripes I need to brush up on my drag out skills'. 'Bouncing' is NOT a particularly good career choice. And I whilst I like the comradeness. I can do without the hassle etc.

Again No Expanders this sesh (next week I promise!). Must recoup before gym. About 35 mins in total combined with Rotator Cuff Pilates Band thingies.

250 lb Crush Gripper

x 5 (inc a 5 second static)

Transition Set 250 lb x 3

into

300 lb Crush Gripper

x 4 (upside down grip)
    x 4 (ditto)
    x 3 (easier so 'healed up a bit better')

Slightly more reppage. And a tad easier. Due to better sleeps and double cream in my shakes.

Exploding Death Star Hand Iso Hand Stretch

Sci-FI ! Isometrics! Do the opposite of the crushes so you don't end up with hands like 'The Hooded Claw'. Seriously Agonist/ Antagonist. It's like Science, but more Scientific.

Rotator Cuffery

Pilates Band doubled - To about 80 pounds of resistance? I got no clue here. But occasionally I do Rotator Cuffing with something lighter than my strand/ expanders.

Including:

L-Shaped Arm (90 Degree)

You probably know this one. With a strand pull one end across and out from your bod. And the other one (strict) up from the are out at 90 palms down into an up position. So your palm now faces forward.

2 x 10

Hand-Blade Up

Same pull across the bod to keep tension. Your work arm goes up with the thumb pointing down. Hand blade up.

2 x 10

Hockey Goalie Thumbs Up

Same as Hand-Blade but turn your hand so the thumb points up at the end.

2 x 7

Side Shoulder Raise

Helps with general shoulder health. And tends to get ignored the most. Leading to a few problems around the insertion point of your side deltoid (I find anyway).

2 x 8 with a static for 10 secs at the top of the last rep.

Seems to do the trick.

Sunday - carted half a ton of wood thru the flat and into a Hippo Sac (flexi skip). The dragged that (Shrug/ Row) across yard. In the AM - Felt like going back to sleep after that. Needed more coffee and a cake after that. Luckily the helper obliged. Best gluten free custard tart so far encountered...:love:

Gym tomorrow. And shoot a few more Uchubes.

Bon Chance Mes Poulets

10. SoKKlab

Cream Buns O'Reilly

Tuesday 8th April 2014

Deadlifts

Remember how I'm:

Maxi Set to start - 80 kg x 4, 100 kg x 4, 120 kg x 4 (All Snatch Grip)

145 kg x 3 (Sumo Double Ohand)
    165 kg x 3 (Sumo Mixed Grip and Liquid Chalk from here)
    210 kg x 2 (Straps here Normal hand and stance - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 2 (Sumo Mixed Grip) (Still tempted to slap on some straps on lift sumat far heftier here...But I didn't)

Some bad reps there. Too close a few times so basically did Stiff Legs max hamstring pounders. Also foot placement on the Sumos was off a few times.

Grip endurance still adapting waaaay too slowly and is getting right on my wick. Principle remains the same though. End your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Take it reasonably easy. Build slowly with consistency. Enjoy yourself and the process (it's a slow process and would bore most folks senseless).

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Still more exciting than a trip to the public toilet huh?

Too much reppage settage on the Deads. Will need to be stricter with the less reps.

T-Bar Row

80 kgs x 10
    100 kgs x 9
    110 kgs x 8
    130 kgs x 7
    140 kgs x 6
    150 kgs x 4
    155 kgs x 3

Single Arm Dumbell Row

Yes that's what it's called. (one arm at a time naturally...:D)

36 kgs x 10
    44 kgs x 8
    52 kgs x 7
    60 kgs x 6
    66 kgs x 6

Still eyeing the 165's, the 185's and the monster 245 lb ers.

Bagwork

Still using the softer 60 lb bag for kind to handies. Fast punching, hacksaws grinding arms, elbows in combination. About 10 mins.

Particularly sok tad (cut) and sok sab (diagonal upwards).

Some sets of roundhouses x 8's on the heftier 100 lb bag. Better hip action on the left leg thru practice. Though still a tad lumpen.

And some Kuching Roundhouses from the floor 2 sets of 7 and 6.

Some Whey straight after warmdown. My only Whey intake is my occasional gym treat.

A new clip about combining weights and sprinting type sessions for max fat burning...Cracked up a little cos 'Melanie is Wonderwoman' :Angel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LroKfcXy1o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LroKfcXy1o[/ame]

11. SoKKlab

Well opportunity knocks...

Just been asked to take part in some product development. Which is nice...:love:

A 2 ton plus capacity vertical Leg Press for Statics, Partials and Full rom.

Same co is buidling a 1 ton plus lat row and pulldown lever. Again for statics, partials and with the ability to do full rom too.

Better start doing some Static Contractions and Partials again.

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nutriders indeed!

Has Melanie sent you a video reply? ;)

13. SoKKlab

Been sworn to secrecy.

All I can say is that Melanie really does looks like wonderwoman.

And I'm highly tempted to get a 1 way ticket to Idaho :hat: :evil:

14. SoKKlab

Couldn't Punch His Way Out Of a Paper Bag!

Saturday 12th April 2014

Och I'm so behind in these listings.

So I'm looking to do separate grip (actually gripping once a week at the mo) and expander work once each 2 weeks or so. Hefty grip work effects your other training. Hence why I do it no closer than 2 full days before deadlifts.

IT'S NOT the effect on your ability to grip the bar. But the effect on your CNS (it effects deads more than anything else). And your hamstrings really take a battering from hefty gripping - Hyperirradiation.

All resistance work is accumulation/ depletion / accumulation.

Pilates Band Warmup

The heftiest Pilates Band is 50 lb or so of resistance. So I double it up to make maybe 100 lb resistance (?). And that makes for a good warmup.

In which I did: Band Aparts, Shoulder Dislocations, Crucifix Pull and Press and Chest Expander - 3 sets of 2 minutes at a time.

When you're doing band aparts though to get full benefit do them as a 'expander' motion. So pin your shoulderblades together at the end of the pull.

That gets you 15.93% more scuuush.

Crush Gripping

Many things you can do to enhance your crushing and gripping. To me the crush grippers are the bestest bang for your buck. I do some plates carries and pinch gripping between sets at the gym. But that's just frosting.

My goal is to close the Captains of Crush Number 4. When I started I underestimated the amount of 'effect' hefty gripping has on other work and ability.

Now I'm working to a more manageable rhythm. And the reppage settage is doable. Although I will say there's a fine line between enough and too much. And it's easy to go beyond it with gripwork.

Alternating Crush Gripping with Expander work

250 lb Crush Grip

x 5 (per arm natch)
    x 4 (with a 10 sec hold at closed)
    x 4 (ditto - working on my grip endurance)

300 lb Crush Grip

Easier this time. Which means:

1) CNS is or has adapted better

2) Well rested - more than the time before last (judgement required)

Expander using my rather ragged Power Pushup 2.

Still NOT GOT hold of an Elastikon 5 (300 lb plus resistance?) expander yet. Note to self contact the makers direct in mid-April 2014 onwards (you still not done this).

Got my eye on a few others that are 300 lb to 400 lb plus resistance. Again the Samson Expander (400 plus lb resistance?) costs 100 US dollars. This is the daddy of expansion.

Anyway am still using my trusty Power Pushup 2 (still going strong since 2005) - which has about 240 lbs of max resistance. To do my current 'most bestest' exercises.

Chest Expander

Probably the most healthful pull to do with a strand. Feels like a great ziiiing.

Suck your stomach in so it's flat and hold your core tight for extra benefits. Pull. And pin your shoulderblades together at the end of the motion. And push your chest fully out. For added superbreath benefits. The shoulders pinned really makes the motion. And adds approx another 11% to the pull.

7 (with static hold in the locked out for 5 secs each on the last 2 sets)

Archer's Pull

My strand is too long to do a proper Archer's Pull :Angel: Ideally you need a shorter expander. But I had a go. Didn't get the max benefit from the motion. Hohum.

Behind The Back Diagonal Cross Press and Pulldown

Easier than the front body Cross. Puts more emphasis on the Triceps. Less on the Shoulders and Uppers. Bit of a wrench on the shoulder heads if you get it worng...

Diagonal Cross Press and Pulldown

Definitely called a Cross Press. Although it's part push part pull. This puts equal emphasis on tris, shoulders, traps. Entire body reaction actually. As in you feel it in your hams and toes.

Hold the strand in front of you at a diagonal angle. Your upper hand palm out. Lower hand palm down.

Breath in. Suck your guts in and keep tight whilst breathing.

Now start the motion by pressing up and back into a single arm shoulder press. And just after start the downward 'pulldown' which is actually a pressing motion too. Press down and back.

You end up doing a shoulder press and triceps pulldownpress at the same time. Really hard.

I usually hold each rep for a few seconds in the expanded position. This really makes it like being strained through a mincer. But the benefit to my shoulders is excellent.

x 5 (because it's hard)

Whilst this is an 'all-body' exercise...If you want to work the middle head and inner head of your triceps more then twist your downward palm out more (little finger side turns out).

NOTE to SELF - You STILL need to Make a clip of these expander's malarkey.

95% of Lockout Static Power Pushup Hold

No idea how much resistance. Me plus the Expander at maximum. Beats planking any day.

30 seconds o' shakes

The whole training took me 40 minutes (whilst recording more of a project). A fantastic continuous 'loop'. And really enjoyable.

Mini Crunchies after - Eating Clean I tell you :D

15. SoKKlab

Ho Fun Bun

Tuesday 15th April 2014

Only been training weights once a week (and one strand, gripping etc sesh) for the last few weeks. Will continue like that for the next couple of weeks. Until life settles down a bit (or doesn't...:hat:) - Also I wanted to heal up. Had a few twinges etc. Got rid of them.

Got some lactose-free ice cream and so sat in the garden in the sun and ate a lot of that (deadly).

Barbell Hyperextension

Lie on it. Barbell tight on shoulders. Say Da a lot (yes in Russian and good in Welsh)

40 kgs x 10 plus 10 second static on last rep
    50 kgs (ditto)

Pumper for the Spinae Erectors.

Squats

I started proper with the Back Squat because it doth test your capacity. Slightly higher reps because I wanted to. Bit silly really. No need for that sort of reppage. Calm down!

80 kg x 7
    105 kg x 6
    135 kg x 6
    155 kg x 5
    175 kg x 5
    205 kg x 4
    210 kg x 3
    210 kg x 2

Too much. But it was fun. Back felt about 90.7879 % - Fairly solid. No twinges.

I'm not gonna start lifting any more than 210 kgs in the Back Squat again for my top sets until I feel my lower back is fixed. And less reppage needed.

That may take a while. More Zerchers etc then.

Rack Pulls - Deadlifts For Lazy People

Remember how I'm:

From top of shin.

175 kg x 4 (Double ohand)
    195 kg x 4 (Mixed Grip and Liquid Chalk from here)
    215 kg x 4 (Normal stance Mixed Grip Chalk)
    235 kg x 4 (ditto)
    240 kgs x 2 (ditto)

Okay so I'll start rack 'pulling' again - Maybe as an on/off from normal Deads. And go back up to 300 kgs plus again. As it did feel nice an all.

It's clear there's nowt wrong with my grip endurance. When I can do 240 kgs just mucking about without straps. Then it's clear that WEIGHT for DISTANCE and not just WEIGHT is the issue (yeah and duh?).

Principle remains the same. End sets well below your max and failure. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets (1 rep gains being better oftentimes than just adding weight and lifting it badly). Take it reasonably easy. Build slowly with consistency.

Eat Ice Cream in your garden. Or the park if you're Gardenless.

Enjoy yourself and the process (it's a slow process and would bore most folks senseless).

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Still more interesting than George Micheal's last album huh?

Pull Ups (Neutral Monkey Hand)

x 10 (+ Static for 5 secs at the top and resisted 5 second neg on the last 2 reps)

x 8 (ditto)

x 6 (Lats pop out like Tena Lady Pants)

Bagwork

Softer 60 lb bag kind to handies. Fast punching stepping and techno-stepping. In combis with elbows - Sok Sab, Sok Tad, Sok klab?

Hefty roundhouse kicking on the hefty 110 er bag. Sets of 7, 6, 5 and then some Kuching Roundhouses 2 x 8

Bit of 'mad cat in an alley' floor to ceiling ball - Geared more to the boxers now. Bleedin thing thrashes about like a jellyfish on a barb-b-q.

Might testing that 2 ton plus leg press I was prattling about a few messages back. And the 1 ton plus lat row/ pulldown. Nice.

And relax amidst chaos...;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

God damn you a strong bar-steward. :)

17. SoKKlab

Lol. Thank you Smitty. Are you twizzling any barbells at the mo?

I'm not pushing it much at present. Later this year I'll be going back to shifting really hefty things.

Just 'making safe' at present. Making sure that I'm in good health. And that I possess 'structural integrity'.

So that nothing goes "snap crackle pop" :weightlifter: :Angel:

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hey uncle sokklab - where did you get strands from? What's a decent resistance to start with?

I had grippers but they got super easy super quick

19. SoKKlab

Hi Zaad
    Lifeline Fitness/ Monkey Bar Gym do some great cable based products. Including some excellent expanders.

My powerpushup 2 (also by lifeline/ monkey bar gym) is firstly for doing enhanced push ups with. I can do some expander motions well with it.

Others like the Archer's Pull are less beneficial as the PP is too long.

Resistance to start. Most got detachable strands. So you can take out cables to lessen or mosten the resistance.

Some motions you'll be stronger. Some'll really surprise you as to how weak you are in that range or direction.

Try saying that to a 350 lb gripper.

Grip work isn't necessary anyway. I do it more for it's combat application. And to judge how well rested I am. Although it can help with holding on to hefty things (particularly holds for time).

Cheers

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I am. I probably lift as much as your packed lunch weighs. :(

Not pushing it much!?!? That makes me a sad panda.