"Why You Do Like That?" Weights, Martials and 'The Healthy'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by SoKKlab, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Thank You!

More footage (Found the other clips) coming soon. Most of the early stuff will be me chopsing straight to camera.

I'll start shooting clips in the gym soon too.

2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I liked the story about Barry Glamorgan from Glamorgan who now lives in Barry :)

More videos!

3. SoKKlab

Ha! Almost as good as my cousin Morgan Morgan (So good they named him twice) ("By the Sea, By the Sea!")

I got another typically Welsh one. A guy gets in touch and tells me he's my auntie Rhoda's 2nd cousin's Son (?). We met once about 15 years ago.

He's now playing pro rugby for a minor welsh team. But now has a trial for one of the majors (kid's 19, 6ft 4 and 17 and a half stone). Wants to gain a coupla stone of mass and strength in the next 3 months...And can I help him out...:D

I just got to stitch that clip together and add some bits to it.

4. SoKKlab

Stretch Armstrong

Monday 10th March 2014

Not done much grip work lately. And also neglected expander/ strand pulling. So a leisurely 40 minutes was spent 'exercising for health' whilst going back and forth between my 'gym' (the bedroom) and my 'recording room' (the lounge) (multitasking).

So I'm looking to do separate grip and expander work once each 2 weeks or so. The 'trouble' with hefty grip work is it effects your other training. Hence why I do it no closer than 2 days before deadlifts (it effects deads more than anything else).

Pilates Band Warmup

The heftiest Pilates Band is 50 lb or so of resistance. So I double it up to make maybe 100 lb resistance. And that makes for a good warmup.

In which I did: Band Aparts, Shoulder Dislocations, Crucifix Pull and Press and Chest Expander - 3 sets of 2 minutes at a time.

When you're doing band aparts though to get full benefit do them as a 'expander' motion. So pin your shoulderblades together at the end of the pull. That gets you 11.75% more scuuush.

Nice pump of the shoulders and uppers to begin.

Crush Grippers

Alternating Crush Gripping with Expander work

250 lb Crush Grip

x 5 (per arm natch)
    x 6 (with a 10 sec hold at closed)
    x 5 (ditto - working on my grip endurance more now)

300 lb Crush Grip

Not so easy this time. Which means:

1) CNS still adapting 2) Not as well rested as last time (judgement required)

Expander using my rather ragged Power Pushup 2.

Still not managed to get hold of an Elastikon 5 (300 lb plus resistance?) expander yet. Next step is contact the makers direct.

Might treat myself to a Samson Expander (400 plus lb resistance?) instead.

Anyway am still using my trusty Power Pushup 2 (still going strong since 2005) - which has about 240 lbs of max resistance. To do my current 'most bestest' exercises.

Chest Expander

Suck your stomach in so it's flat and hold your core tight for extra benefits. Pull. And pin your shoulderblades together at the end of the motion. And push your chest fully out. For added superbreath benefits.

7 (with statics in the locked out for 5 secs each on the last 2 sets)

Diagonal Cross Press and Pulldown

I usually just call this a cross press. Although it's part push part pull.

Hold the strand in front of you at a diagonal angle. Your upper hand palm out. Lower hand palm down.

Breath in. Suck your guts in and keep tight whilst breathing.

Now start the motion by pressing up and back into a single arm shoulder press. And just after start the downward 'pulldown' which is actually a pressing motion too. Press down and back.

You end up doing a shoulder press and triceps pulldownpress at the same time. Really hard.

I usually hold each rep for a few seconds in the expanded position. This really makes it like being strained through a mincer. But the benefit to my shoulders is excellent.

x 5 (because it's hard)

Whilst this is an 'all-body' exercise...If you want to work the middle head and inner head of your triceps more then twist your downward palm out more (little finger side turns out).

NOTE to SELF - Make a clip of these expander's malarkey.

Slept really well that night.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Need to get an expander!

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Need to use my expander (and grippers) more!

7. SoKKlab

What with your mega-training in Olympic Lifts I'd say that's a slight reach right now!

Maybe as a warmup?

8. SoKKlab

I'm doing once each 2 weeks at the mo. That sorta works in with all else.

My main concern is elbow tendonitus - So am taking it easier. Also I did notice a few times how doing really hefty expander and grip work effected my normal lifting.

Harry - you got an Elastikon 4 expander didn't you?

How much resistance has that expander got?

Been trying to get an Elastikon 5.

I'm gonna buy some new kit in a few months time. And a shorter expander (my power pushup is a tad too long for certain motions) is top of the list.

9. Mangosteen

iits only 3 times a week and the loading is 70% 1rm so i think i a little/lot of energy left

10. SoKKlab

Have you tried a girlfriend?

(Jus Sayin!):D

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I tend to take my expander with me when I go away (for work/holiday), but probably need to work it in a bit more regularly when I'm back at home... I've just been seduced by the clang of bars/plates when I should balance it with the twang of elastic (ooo errr missus!)

I have an Elastikon 3 which is 5x20kg (100kg total), I'm assuming this rating is for when each strand is stretched to twice its resting length...
    Although, the strands do have a small amount of pre-tension, as it takes a finite amount of force to initiate the pull, whereas with 'pure' rubber bands you can get the very start of the pull easily (with, effectively, infinitesimal force) regardless of how thick they are (IMO)

12. SoKKlab

Cheers Harry. Once each coupla weeks sorta works for me. I could use the expander and grippers more often. But they do effect your lifting. There's a tendency to think (and I do this) "Well it's just a cabley thing, won't effect me that much"...And then I find out how stupid I was/ is.

I did look at that one. Thought about the Elastikon 4 and then sussed they apparently do a 5. Perhaps I'll buy the 4 and 5.

Also Lifeline Fitness/ Monkey Bar Gym does some really good expander etc (same manu as my Powerpushup2).

I'll think I'll get someone to do the camerawork and make a clip on strandpulling. They're excellent. And ideal for most folks seeking more strength and power. And also excellent for more musckles - If you should want such things.

The Samson Expander - Which is reckoned to be the best - Is 115 US - Worth paying for quality of course. Just look at my Powerpushup2 - which cost me about 39 pounds then. Had it since 2005 been around the world with me. Still going strong (although a little ragged around the edges).

13. SoKKlab

Knackered Bar None

Wednesday 12th March 2014

Aka 'Are you Gonna Finish That?'

1 hr of weights, 20 mins bagwork etc at the end. Sadly no all-in-one leotards were worn in the making of this production. Bodyweight 16 stone 5 pounds - about 104 kilos or 229 pounds.

I'm not training to failure on any set. I don't take any supps etc steak, eggs, cottage cheese (goats), brown rice, peanut butter honey oatcake sandwichs and sauerkraut (not all at the same time though).

I knew the gripper/ expander work on Monday would knacker me a bit. So each rep of my Deadlifts were a real grind - Thank Gawd I do hefty Leg Presses - Because mine were Tilt and Press...

Just goes to show how you need to balance Intensity/ Frequency/ Duration. I wasn't that well rested but hey.

Deadlifts

Remember how I'm:

A) Deadlifting each session for approx 5 Work Sets

B) Working on increasing my grip endurance at heftier weights (Slow progress)

Maxi Set to start -

60kg x 6 80 kg x 6 120 kg x 6 (All Snatch Grip)

145 kg x 3 (Snatch Width Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    165 kg x 3 (Sumos Mixed Grip and Liquid Chalk from here)
    195 kg x 2 (Normal stance Mixed Grip Chalk - Grip Enduro slowly better)
    200 kg x 2 (Straps here Normal hand and stance - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 2 (ditto) (Glad to finish here)

Taking me too long to make grip endurance gains. Probably because - you guessed it - I'm doing too much sets and reps wise. It's weird I feel I the need to 'warmup' by lifting a bit more in steps. But then trying to balance how much with too much is a fine art in itself.

Again stopping at no more than 2 sets beyond grip fail. Well short of what I could lift (but then how little would I do repwise?).

Principle remains the same. End your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Take it reasonably easy. Build slowly with consistency. Enjoy yourself and the process.

Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Still more exciting than Jean-Claude's last flick, huh?

Back Squats - Strong Back Required

Though the Deads were a grind I felt energised here. Good coffee helped of course. But my legs felt really pumped up after the deads. Good or not good? I couldn't decide. I just wanted to get on with it. But the weight was really easy - I was sorta shocked by that. As usually Squats after Deads is moidah.

70 kgs x 8 (pausation)
    110 kgs x 5 (pausation and fast pos)
    130 kgs x 5 (ditto)
    160 kgs x 4 (ditto)
    180 kgs x 3 (rest-pause, 3 sec pause in the pocket)
    205 kgs x 3 (ditto - About 80% of my current 1RM)

Gladly my - again - back was surprisingly solid (90.7777777%). Don't push it...

I do bar hangs in between my dead and squats sets. Start heading back towards higher weights again once I judge my back to 95.77% (how soon is now?).

Couldn't be bothered doing any more at that point. As the 1 hour mark hits...Phew Consistency...

Bagwork, Floor 2 Ceiling Ball etc - about 20 mins

Softer 60 pound bag first for Fast hands, elbows and good stepping.

Heftier 100 lb'er started with Kuching Roundhouses 2 sets of 7 from the deck (Still a Genius!). Roundhouses Kicks - better - Sets of 7's and 6's both sides.

Elbows (sok sab - diagonal upwards and sok tad - cutting elbow) combined with hacksaws - percussion slaps (grinding arms) - The Pincer Principle in full effect.

Some axe knee, rising knee, jumping and springing knee (take flight, again...). Max power in the axe knees.

Stretch out, no fat conjugated milk malarkey and comedy half hour. Nice.

Shooting and Editing a couple more really basic talking head clips for my Strength Power etc channel on the uchubes, tomorrow - So if you're about, get me a hot chocolate will you?

14. SoKKlab

15. SoKKlab

Butt Hurt

Saturday 15th March 2014

Spent an hour or so doing Muay Chaiya and Muay Korat Basics.

Hopping from foot to foot. Practising 'Phlik Liam' footwork, the Teacher stance, 3 strides walk (stringent) etc.

Elbows on Focus Pads (solo) = Basic 10 Elbow Strikes getting good elliptical shoulder roll etc.

Isometrics (my legs the next day were knacking) including:

- Sanchin (in a more White Crane, 5 Ancestors style). No prizes for style or form, but did the trick.

Also 'floor gripping' = Essentially gripping the floor with your feet and pulling yourself forward - The load on your hamstrings is really intense. And is the reason my legs are still feeling it.

'Muscle Control' including some 'Farmer Burns' style breathing - Keep your stomach flat, breathe in and when you breath out keep flat. Let all your breath out and you'll feel your deep stomach muscles flex like crazy.

Deep Squat breathing - Go as deep as you can with your stomach tight. Naturally due to 'squeezebox' effect your abs push out at the bottom of the squat.

Deep breathe and push out further against your own legs etc. Try to flex your lower back and abs. If you're doing it right you'll really feel it in your ribs.

Etc - Good fun.

Went to see another Jitsu-esque Martial Class on Sunday. Technically sound, but hardly any resistance in the training...Not for me really. Although I did like their chin na-esque joint locks plus extras.

Gym today - Great!

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool video mate (and iso breathing for the win ;))

Keep up the search for a decent martial class/place, you'll find one soon enough. Was it that the jitsu class you went to just happened not to have much resistance in that particular session? Or did you interrogate the instructor?

If you're interested in FMA/kali/escrima, then a good mate of mine is looking to set up a class soon, he's North London (but not too far north) and is highly knowledgeable and skilled in our Inosanto/balicki and Skalberg blend kali :D

In your 6 week cycle mass gaining system thingy, do you add to the training maxes for each lift each week/session, or do 6 weeks with the same loads?

Cheers
    Harry

17. SoKKlab

Hi Harry
    Been doing a bit of that 'squeezebox squat' each night for the last month or so. Back doing a bit more deep breathing now (I let it slide a tad). As been reading a lot of 'olde-timey strongmen manuals' and the importance they put on deep breathing is huge.

I'm pretty fussy. And I possess certain 'needs' that don't require just kind words from the instructor.

There was no resistance in their training. I also quizzed the instructors at the end. The answer was basically no, not a lot of resistance.

Also some of their against blade work ranged from the highly optimistic to the 'turn me into a kebab now'...:D But I did enjoy their lockflows and I liked that most of their throwing was 'heaven to earth' - As opposed to 'earth-heaven-earth'.

(If you're reading this and thinking 'huh?' - The throws were more about off-balancing as opposed to pickups and throwdowns - See Serak Silat for classic examples of the former).

I'm interested. I'm missing proper marts training. And learning not just training. Please let me the details when they happen - Thank you.

One of the things I missed in this clip was the explainer re: lifting more poundage. I'll add it to the comments below the clip on Uchubes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QfjPDcviE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QfjPDcviE[/ame]

I'd say though because of the skinniness going on, the weight needs to be a gentle and gradual progression.

Roughly adding approx 2 pounds per week to the 'lower body lifts' middle sets per week. And then adding 2 pounds to the top set once you can easily do the reps in question.

Probably summat like for a 150 lb person. Taking half their bodyweight (75 lbs) as their 100% 1RM (Purposely underestimated):

Week 1 (Squat) 20 lbs x 10, 40 lbs x 8, 50 lbs x 6, 60 lbs x 5, 65 lbs x 3
    Week 2 (Squat) 20 lbs x 10, 40 lbs x 8, 52 lbs x 6, 62 lbs x 5, 65 lbs x 3
    Week 3 (Squat) 20 lbs x 10, 40 lbs x 8, 52 lbs x 6, 62 lbs x 5, 67 lbs x 3
    Week 4 (Squat) 20 lbs x 10, 40 lbs x 8, 54 lbs x 6, 64 lbs x 5, 67 lbs x 3
    Week 5 (Squat) 20 lbs x 10, 40 lbs x 8, 56 lbs x 6, 66 lbs x 5, 67 lbs x 3
    Week 6 (Squat) 20 lbs x 10, 40 lbs x 8, 56 lbs x 6, 66 lbs x 5, 69 lbs x 3

I'd probably start a lot of these folks with a 5 foot trainer bar. They'd do the first 6 week cycle.

Then repeat the first 6 week cycle with the same weights. But using an Olympic bar - So the bar was naturally heftier (20kgs as opposed to about 10 for a trainer bar).

Ideally what you want is an easy adaptation. If someone is finding making progress reasonably easy it's generally easier for them to stay 'hungry' :D.

The one rep gain is often a better way of judging adaptation than just slamming more weight on the bar. So many folks are focused on how much they're lifting but practically crippling themself in the process. Due to bad form and inefficient lifting.

One of the most useful 'bodybuilding' principles is to train for the 'effect' - As in what you're getting from the process. As opposed to just thinking ' more weight more weight'.

"Steady as she goes"

18. SoKKlab

Buff Muff

Monday 17th March 2014

1 hr of weights, 20 mins bagwork etc at the end. Sadly no all-in-one leotards were worn in the making of this production. Bodyweight still 16 stone 5 pounds - about 104 kilos or 229 pounds.

I'm not training to failure on any set. Nothing beyond 10 reps for most (warmups light go up to that generally). I don't take any supps except steak, eggs, cottage cheese (goats), brown rice, peanut butter honey oatcake sandwichs and sauerkraut (still not all at the same time).

I felt leg-shred after the isometricy leg noodling on the weekend before this sesh. Bit knackered but struggled through.

Deadlifts

Remember how I'm:

A) Deadlifting each session for approx 5 Work Sets

B) Working on increasing my grip endurance at heftier weights (Slow progress)

Maxi Set to start -

60kg x 6 80 kg x 6 120 kg x 6 (All Snatch Grip)

145 kg x 3 (Snatch Width Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    165 kg x 3 (Sumos Mixed Grip and Liquid Chalk from here)
    195 kg x 2 (Normal stance Mixed Grip Chalk - Grip Enduro slowly better)
    200 kg x 2 (Straps here Normal hand and stance - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 2 (ditto) (Glad to finish here)

Back offs

200 kgs x 2
    160 kgs x 2
    120 kgs x 6
    100 kgs x 8 (seemed like a good idea at the time...)

Taking me too long to make grip endurance gains. Probably because I'm doing too much sets and reps wise. But I'm enjoying it so that's all that matters.

It's weird I feel I the need to 'warmup' by lifting a bit more in steps. But then trying to balance how much reppage to do with too much reppage is a fine art in itself.

Again stopping at no more than 2 sets beyond grip fail. Well short of what I could lift - I'll probably be tempted to do some rack-pilling in a few weeks - Just to get that out of my system. As it's getting boring waiting for my grip to adapt ("hurry up!")

Principle remains the same. End your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Take it reasonably easy. Build slowly with consistency. Enjoy yourself and the process.

Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Still more exciting than Jean-Claude's last flick, huh?

Barbell Row - Pendlays

Start pull from shoulder/ upper back. Reset each rep.

80 kgs x 8
    100 kgs x 8
    120 kgs x 6
    135 kgs x 4
    135 kgs x 2 (bad ones)

Pull Ups

Strict form tense body.

x 10 palms face side o head (5 sec static hold at the top, 5 sec neg last rep)
    x 8 (ditto)
    x 5 (ditto)

Standing Ohead DB Press

Palms face side o head.

Rack Run (1 continuous set)
    18kg x 10
    23kg x 9
    27kg x 8

40 kgs x 8
    60 kgs x 7
    70 kgs x 6

80 kgs x 4
    90 kgs x 3
    100 kgs x 2

Strewth! Far too much effort. Shoulders though felt great (getting better, fungus crossed).

Hack Machine Calf Raise

Bestest. Why do calf raises? Well your lower leg takes considerable battering. And so it's nice to grant it some attention and rehab, no?

Face the Hack

70 lbs x 40 (rest pause in bunches of 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 5)
    130 lbs x 35 (similar)
    200 lbs x 30 (calf exploder)

Gets much better effect than doing the 250 kgs plus I use on the standing calf raise. Calfs need waaay more reppage because they're made of them pesky 'red' (endurance) fibres. Not trying to build mega-diamonds here - Or bring about any significant hypertrophy.

But just make sure my lower legs are prepared for any shearing etc pressure going through them. IF you look at strongman type meets - The most common injuries are calf and bicep.

The 1 hour mark hits...Phew Still Consistency...

Bagwork, Floor 2 Ceiling Ball etc - 20 mins

Softer 60 pound bag first for Fast hands, elbows and good stepping.

Heftier 100 lb'er started with Kuching Roundhouses 2 sets of 7 from the deck (Still a Genius!). Roundhouses Kicks - better - Sets of 7's and 6's both sides.

Elbows (sok sab - diagonal upwards and sok tad - cutting elbow) combined with hacksaws - percussion slaps (grinding arms) - The Pincer Principle in full effect.

Some axe knee, rising knee, jumping and springing knee (as he took flight he was a wonder to behold). Max power in the axe knees.

Stretch out, no fat conjugated milk malarkey and remembered the hazelnut wafers I had in my bag...Nice.

Shooting and Editing a couple more really basic talking head clips for my Strength Power etc channel on the uchubes, tomorrow - So if you're about, get me a kung pao chicken will you?

Happy Trails

19. SoKKlab

To try to scuuush Ste (Mr A.Beccles ex-training partner) - who's training for his first bodybuilding show in 7 years - I did some measurements.

It's a bit old school. And only really useful for IF you're training to either put on size. Or NOT put on any size.

I'm not looking to get any bigger. So my purpose is to stay UNDER a certain weight (no more than 240 pounds and preferably no more than 235). At that sort of weight I can function well as a martialist.

Also for the purposes of good crisp elliptical shoulder rolls in my punches for bkb, muay etc I need my upper arms to stay BELOW 18 inches in size.

Okay not exactly an issue for the United Nations but tis important to me. It's nigh on impossible to throw quality powerful straight punches when your arms are huge sarcoplasmic bags of fluid.

Hence why I rarely do any specific arm work. An hence why I train lower reppage and do less settage reppage these days.

If you look at any quality boxer you'll see their shoulders are always bigger than their upper arms. That's important in getting power into your blows. That final 'snap' needs to fly crisp and true.

Last time I translated centimetres into inches wrong (stop it...).

Calf 19 inches
    Thigh 30 inches
    Waist 33
    Chest 49
    Upper Arms 17.5
    Forearms 14
    Neck 19

Gym today

20. Mangosteen

Do you use body fat measure too or are you not bothered?