Why weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by xubis, Oct 15, 2003.

1. xubis

xubis New Member

I am currently teaching myself how to use the sai and nunchaku.. but I thought to myself, why? It is extremely unlikley I will ever have a chance to use these weapons when I need to. I knew this when I started training, and I thought there will be other uses for them, such as co-ordination etc. What are your lots view on this? Why do you train a certain weapon?

2. SOLID

SOLID Banned Banned

I don't train in weapons but i may do in a decade or so when I have a high quality of hand to hand combat.

-I'd say because it's fun,
    -It also can be adapted, for example a pool cue could be used in the same way as a sword or stick, get the drift?

Matthew

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Main reason I train in weapons is simply to expand my horizons. There's also the fact that weapon experience helps me not to die at LRP events, which can't hurt.

4. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I like practising with weapons. I think thats good justification.

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

ditto. :):cool:

6. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I think it's fun and a really really good coordination drill. You can't just pick up a bo or sai, or three sectional staff and go. It really takes some coordination, a lot of which can transfer over to your hand to hand combat.

7. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

I think it's absolutely necessary from a self-defense perspective. Coming from the perspective of 'anything, can be used from a weapon' and furthering that with 'almost everything WILL be used as a weapon' you need to have at least some knowledge of how to handle things properly. The counter, table, beer bottle, keys and keychain, cell phone, spare change, and even the belt on your pants are all potential and probably available weapons in a typical 'bar fight' situation. Should someone escalate things, I'd say it's necessary to know how to use them.

From purely a training perspective - I'd say weapons training is the funnest of all, and it certainly compliments, enhances and just generally goes hand in hand with normal hand-to-hand training.

8. hwarang

hwarang Guest

similar to training with hands and feet, when you train with weapons, you start to get an appreciation for them and how they could be use (either against an opponent or vice versa). when you get this appreciation, you start to get a feeling for how you might handle a situation when someone someone uses a weapon against you...

although it's fun, it should be taken seriously and you should train yourself to attack and defend and counter against someone with a weapon as you would when doing regular training with hands and feet

anyway, weapon techniques always provide good entertainment in demonstrations

9. Elitex

Elitex New Member

I carry around with me: a bo, sai and a six foot pole axe in my hair.

10. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

It's been said above

There are many things in the real world that are similar to traditional weapons so you can improvise. Also, training with weapons teaches you how to respond to being attacked with weapons.

Rgds,
    David

11. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

The study of weapons reinforces all aspects of your empty hand martial arts for reasons of coordination, balance, strength, flow, etc, etc..
    Also as mentioned earlier here you never know when the oportunity will arise when you might have to use some object somewhere as a weapon, and the more you know about the manipulation of a variety of weapons the better off you will be.
    Weapons are really just an extention of your body, so your total martial arts training is enhanced through proper study.
    Try and find an accredited Kubudo instructor to really understand the weapons you are interested in learning.
    Lastly, studying weapons is just plain fun.

12. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I practice weapons because it helps with co ordination, its fun, its got a show off factor, its something the average Joe can't do.

......but most inportant of all is that if some @\%hole breaks into my house the sight of me doing the double nunchucks might make him change his mind. If it dosnt then i'll change his mind for him.

I know that sounds a bit brutal and the police will have me for it blah blah blah but I learn the weapons for fighting purposes. I would by no means ever carry then around and bring MA into dissrepute.

13. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well becaseu as its been said before anything can and willbe used as a weapon and because some common tools are weapons and were useda s weapons for the plain fact tah if they can cut down a tree why not a person.
    And becasue in many places there is no law against keeping a sword or axce or funky polearem anf those are weapons that are always loaded even if they are cheap ass ones that arent sharp.

14. Impi

Impi New Member

Keeping in mind that the Arts were not intended for Bruce Lee movies but for war, it is obvious that training in the traditional Arts would involve weapons training.

Apart from looking cool and being a lot of fun to train with, basic forms of 'weapons' could be found all around you. e.g. if you know how to use a hanbo ( 3ft staff ) you would cope quite well as an old man with a walking-stik.

Overall it gives you some insight how to use whatever you can get your hands (or feet) on, to your benifit against an attack.

15. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Weapons can be applied to real world things, like sword, stick or bo training can be applied to pool cues, clubs, metal bars, and stick of any sort, witch are almost always accesible in some form. sai or knife training can be used for a broken bottle, keys, steak knife, and more. Nunchucka training can be used on a belt folded in half, electric cord,and more. Use what you got!!!:D :) :rolleyes: ;) :p

16. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

" It is extremely unlikley I will ever have a chance to use these weapons when I need to. "

Well if you want self defense change weapons.

I like playing with weapons(nunchaku) just for the fun, hobby, competition value.

Jeff