why train in other arts when it seems like

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rmjim, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

Bjj/mma are the standards by which all else is judged? I know I’ve posted a couple of other posts about training but the above question is something I’m serious about. I know people do martial arts for different reasons, be it personal growth, sport, fitness or whatever. IMO when you get down to the base the literal meaning of the word means study of the martial way. Ie fighting/self defense. That being said, with the exclusion of mcdojos, and so much emphasis being put on nothing really working in realistic situations besides boxing/mma/bjj why would someone spend years studying arts that in the end would probably realistically fail them in a real life encounter? I’m not putting arts down or saying I wanna debate on x vs y, I’m seriously curious about thoughts on this.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They aren't

And the issue with this is...?

Which (a) aren't synonomous and (b) would exclude 90% of all practitioners today, including many in the arts you are cheerleading

You base this conclusion on what experience exactly?

You are far more likely to be injured cooking than by being attacked; yes it is nice to have a toolkit that works, but if that is your only goal you are missing out on a lot - even most BJJ players don;t train for fighting or else they would all do MMA instead of jits

Bzzt! Wrong

Bzzt! Wrong again

Train an art under pressure it performs under pressure - but teh pressure needs to replicate the scenario you train for.

That's it

BJJ needs adapting for MMA
    Boxing does too'MMA needs adapting for weapons
    Knife work needs adapting for firearms
    Wrestling needs to be adapted for Law Enforcement application

One size fits all no longer exists

Mitlov, pgsmith and axelb like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Combat sports are ideal for creating fighting ability, and most people have been exposed to them via TV, so they are the natural choice when comparing the capabilities of different arts.

Vince Millett likes this.
  4. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

Sorry if you think I’m cheerleading anything or putting other arts down. I know I spent a lot of time studying Chuck Norris Style karate and got about 3 belts away from black belt but a white belt came in with a boxing background and I couldn’t do anything with him during sparring. This and numerous articles etc seem to champion arts like bjj or mma. In the other post I asked about different training available. So seriously answer this question for me...suppose I took Shorinji Kempo or suppose I studied tkd and someone with a good boxing or wrestling or bjj background accosted me. Who would realistically win that attack? I conceal carry but sometimes you can’t. I don’t go looking for trouble but you never know anymore. This is the gist of what I’m getting at

5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Aren't some arts just "better" than others i.e. the techniques are MORE effective under pressure? e.g basic boxing punches and stances/guards vs self defense techniques where they teach you how to deflect/grab the assailant's arm and then try to hit a tiny pressure point somewhere etc.?

6. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

That’s another thing I’m talking about, what EdiSco is saying. By the way what do y’all train

7. Dead_pool

Unless you escalate the violence and get lucky, or avoid the violence in the first place, then no, there is no magic bullet, if you want to be better at striking/takedowns/groundwork then you need to be better then them at striking/takedowns/groundwork.

This takes a lot of time, so really just train what you enjoy, don't start fights, and live/work somewhere without too much violence, and think ahead.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It depends man. You have much the same false assumptions that I do.

At the end of the day, what do you want to train for? If that's just being in a fist fight, one on one, then MMA is what you're after. You might find you dislike aspects of it and go for something else. You might find that you like wearing after gi and doing kata more than getting some dudes sweaty groin in your face is just not fun.

If you want realistic you'd be looking at de-escalation, awareness and all that stuff. The guys who are best at self defence never have to physically defend themselves. When you say "defend myself" you probably mean (incorrectly) that some guy is posturing up to you and wants to fight so you get in a fight. Self defence is all about never fighting (and I'm amazing at it).

At the end of the day, as long as there is contact in the martial art that you do it will be good. You will beat most other people in a fight. However being in street fights is good for absolutely nothing.

I'm a pro MMA fighter and kickboxer ^^

Mitlov, Vince Millett, axelb and 2 others like this.
  9. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

I’m far from looking for street fights. I’m 44 but I’m a fairly big guy 6’8” 275lbs. Not many people approach me to fight. However I did move from the country to a big city. I don’t go to bad places or anything like that. I just don’t want to spend years learning something that in all reality will fail me if I need it. I remember the early years of the Gracie challenge. Everyone was blown away by bjj. I’m not championing bjj but why would you or anyone train in tkd or kickboxing or boxing etc if it wouldn’t realistically work? Am I wrong in my assumptions? I understand people train other arts for philosophy reasons or fitness like I said earlier. All you hear now is 90% of fights go to ground, etc. Is that true? I’m not trying to say I believe one is better than another. I’m just asking for input. I mean you have to admit most people who started MA no matter what style did so for the defense in some way shape or form

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You're the guy asking about Shorinji kempo the last couple of days, right? If not, apologies, but it doesn't change the point I'm about to make, which is -- Shorinji has a strong religious (Buddhist, specifically) component to it. MMA and BJJ don't. And I've seen other martial arts related to the fabled/famed Shaolin Temple advertising a religious component, too. For some people, that matters. For those to whom that matters, BJJ and MMA are inferior.

To each his own. (shrug)

I'm 47 and I've never been in a street fight. No one has ever pulled a knife on me. I've never seen a gun pulled, let alone fired, outside a shooting range.
    So why should I think that I'm ever going to be in a street fight?
    Seriously -- if I've made it this far, why should I think that the future will be any different than my past?

But I have been in plenty of arguments where "verbal judo" would have been appreciated and helpful. And I have every reason to believe that's going to come up again in my life, in the future.

My point is that your definition of "fighting/self-defense" might not apply to my life. And that's the answer to your question: different people have different needs in their lives.

11. aikiMac

I've lived almost my entire life in major cities - Los Angeles, Phoenix, Orange County CA. I've explored Seattle and Chicago on my own. What does city life have to do with getting into fights?

Only if one person wants it to go to the ground, and his take-down skill is higher than the other guy's defense. Or he gets lucky, and the other guy falls down.

robertmap likes this.
  12. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I read somewhere that a magical invincible art taught to priests in a country that is hidden away by a secret force-field is the only art that guarantees you will win any kind of fight. So why learn anything else. The art is suitable for men women and children and even if you are old or disabled it will still allow you to win any encounter (even if a Rhinoceros attacks you ) - If you email me .. . robert at one-born-every-minute dot com I'll tell you how to pay me for lessons (and you get the secret handshake too).

WARNING: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

pgsmith, Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.
  13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Any marital art that is regularly pressure tested will be considered effective.

Styles that pressure test consistently throughout all clubs will gain a reputation in that style.

Those you mention aren't the only styles that do this.

There's your self defence right there ;)

14. aikiMac

Very true!
    He hardly needs to take BJJ classes. He was born with what Relson Gracie calls "natural jiu-jitsu"! :)

axelb likes this.
  15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

So... boxing guy might have put in more, or harder work than you have. In many cases it comes down to the practitioner rather than the art itself. I do BJJ and love it, but I've definitely been beaten by people who have practiced judo, or wrestling, and back when I did MMA I was beaten by traditional karate guys, kickboxers, tae kwon do dudes, etc. during striking.

I think with the Gracie Challenge matches, well, they occurred during a period of time when a lot of people had very unrealistic visions about what martial arts were capable of, and there wasn't a lot of cross discipline matches going on. You'll notice that these days, pure BJJ guys don't tend to do very well.

I train BJJ because I enjoy it. I'm aware that I could be more proficient in hand to hand combat by taking MMA, but, honestly, at the end of the day that's just not the biggest priority in my life.

Dead_pool, axelb and aaradia like this.
  16. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

IMO, Muay Thai is the perfect ma for "self-defence" (physical side of it). Perhaps even better than boxing itself! Sanda would be good too (IF you're lucky enough to find it).

17. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

Yes I am the one asking about Shōrinji Kempo because I don’t know much about it. I’ve trained a bit of bjj in the past too.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

At the end of the day man, pick a style that you enjoy practicing. It might be Muay Thai or MMA, it might also be that you find a very good karate school.

If you're worried about fighting just ask the instructor "do you occasionally spar hard(er)?"

Semi-contact sparring and point sparring are different from full free sparring too.

axelb likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

Iirc shorinji spars with headgear and medium contact, as well as judo style randori, and don't worry about points/gameolaying so the club will no doubt be better then doing nothing by a very long way.

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Boxing is utterly terrible in Olympic TKD matches. People who like Olympic TKD sparring are much better doing an appropriate TKD than boxing. Extrapolate from there :)

bassai, Hannibal and pgsmith like this.