Why the Bible is wrong

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by munkiejunkie, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

It promotes it, trust me; I would go as farther as to show all the passages that praise those that use their mind.

I think telling people that they will burn in hell is foolish, I've been told the same thing by christians. I think I'm going to burn in hell for a number of things.

Personally, I don't believe in hell look up the word Gehenna.

The bible promotes free will, trust me.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Do I sense a challange. I think I do.

Post some examples of free will be demonstrated and praised in the bible.

New Testament would be easier than the Old.

3. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Proverbs 14:15;
    1 Corinthians 2:1-16;
    Acts 17:11;
    Adam and Eve which you are fimilar with....?

4. NaughtyKnight

Guess it might help me if I actually had a bible :p

5. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

6. NaughtyKnight

Cant be bothered, you win the argument. Even im not stubbon enough to actually read the bible to prove a point. :Angel:

7. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

why waste our lives debating others that are not going to change, and should they?

as long as we are not harming others and not supporting others to, then we are fine. as long as we help others, and not harm them, then it does not matter if the bible is right or wrong.

what does matter is we do good and set good examples to be modeled after. we cannot force our beliefs on others, nor can we expect others to change their beliefs because of our own ideas.

as a buddhist, i see christians as having opportunities to be good humans and good christians, but it is up to them. the pure and simple answer is; do not be a hyprocrit.

if thou shall not kill, why do you kill or support war, kill insects or eat veal? hehe

i've read the bible, and i can say, much of it probably is written and alot of it is not to be read literally. instead, it offers insight to enlighten the reader so they can be a good christian while helping and forgiving others. those whom forget to help and forgive, end up being what a christian is not to be.

and what is that?
    they are not to turn away others, they are not to cause them harm, they are not to hurt others physically, materially or mentally. at the same time, christians are to respect others and give them assistance, regardless of faith.

when all of these are met, they truely are on the path of faith and forgiveness. when they fall astray, i hope thier blindess is healed by jesus or else they are going to have a longggg eternity haha

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  8. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

You have an extreme disliking for religion.....

9. NaughtyKnight

I attribute my great life to it. :Angel:

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i'll look it up later, but in no was shape or form does the bible promote free will, religion is the oldest form of socital control and brainwashing of all. nad the cons of the afore mentioned still outweight science by a long shot.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

If the Bible is wrong you are correct. If the Bible is right you are incorrect. And therein is the debate.

"Thou shalt not kill" is not a commandment in the Bible. Saint Augustine's "just war doctrine" demonstrates this quite sufficiently. What God wrote on Moses' stone slab was "thou shalt not murder." As for killing animals, vegetarianism is the ideal. Before Noah's flood everyone was vegetarian. Well, I should say everyone was supposed to be a vegetarian. Probably not everyone obeyed the rule. Here's a thought: maybe the Jewish dietary restrictions in the Old Testament were implemented to limit the amount of animal killing when the ideal cannot be reached, eh? Could it be?

Suppose Galileo was locked up. Wasn't Galileo a Christian? He was, wasn't he? Yes? No? I think he was. Suppose Galileo was a Christian. What then is your point? Do you have a point actually worth making?

Here's my point: If Galileo was a Christian, then we have Christians arguing about astronomy. One side says blah-blah-blah that, it turns out, is factually correct. One side was right. The other side, it turns out, was wrong. And you want to spotlight the side that was wrong and say, "See, all Christians are stupid. Proof: these guys were stupid." That is wrong of you, for you could just as well spotlight Galileo and say, "Look at this brilliant Christian scientist! Where would we be today if not for Galileo!"

Consider Mendel, the so-called "father of genetics." You know him -- he's the guy who cross-bred pea pods. He was a Catholic monk! Yes, a Catholic monk living in an abbey! Obviously his religious faith was not a hindrance to his scientific work. Why can't we spotlight him and say something nice about the Catholic Church, eh?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  12. samurai1986

samurai1986 Valued Member

Nice points aikiMac. I especially like the analysis of Galileo.

13. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Bold is me.... couldn't figure a better way to address the points. Sorry if was too confusing.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Let be explain this is simple terms, reguardless of what Gallelios preferance was, someone realized where his research was going and tried to put a stop to it. the catholics may have preserved a few things, but once again, as with anything related to religion, the pros don't outweight the cons. impede progress for 200 years/save a few documents. balance beam guys.

15. aikiMac

:confused: I don't know what you mean. I have long thought that our crappy high schools are ruining our standing as scientists.

Heh heh heh! Where did I get this! Heh heh heh! Seriously though, I got it by reading the source book for the big, nasty, evil, rotten, boo-hiss-spit "Church" that is being stomped on in this thread. Come now, Jewish dietary laws are way beyond social moreys to prevent disease -- they are part of Deuteronomy and Leviticus, the Law of Moses. How could the neighboring nations eat pig, etc. and not get sick, but Jews would get sick if they ate pig, etc.? Hey, that's a fair question that you have deal with if you're going to stand by your theory! Really now, Assyria, Babylon, Grece, Rome -- they didn't follow the dietary laws yet they thoroughly conquered, in turn, that region of the world. If health was an issue the Jews should have been the strongest people over there.

But, that's just my warped way of thinking. My buddy Tekken says that I'm brainwashed so I don't suppose that I could ever be right. :)

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

no. our crappy high school are ruining your status as a religion. something i am quite proud of.

actually, i agree with what you just said about the jews :)

17. aikiMac

:eek: No way! :eek:
    This calls for a celebration. Root beer on me, for everyone! :D

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

oh yeah, well there in lies the problem. thats what you're doing. hurting, killing, and brainwashing. kinda hard to overlook 2 millenia of that don't ya think?

19. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Tekkengod agree with aikiMac more often! :D

20. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

The Church isn't being spit upon, at least not by me. Yes, I do not look blindly at the history of the Church and say that everything it did was good or just, yet neither do I quite believe that it is the bastion of Evil that some make it out to be.
    In a very real sense, we owe much of what we know of the ancients (Greek, Roman and pagan) to the Church. For thousands of years, it kept the light of science, reason, history and philosophy alive. Yet, it is also one of the worst violators of what would now be considered natural human rights. It is a human institution, and as such, has all the weaknesses of humans. So, in the end, it is both, such as we all are.

Dietary laws, all societies have social moreys. When they are codified, they turn into religious or political laws. Dietary laws in all societies tend towards having once been a practical way of preventing food born disease. Then other social contraints become added. Also, if you look at the archeaological records of hte area, you'll notice that the tribes who became what we consider Isreal were not indigenous to the area. But be that as it may, indeed, there are other peoples who share some of the same dietary laws.

Sciene being controled by those idiots we elected (both sides of the fence mind you, I don't put much trust in politics period) is bad knews. Also, we have already gone 'round the bend on the whole public school issue in another thread. I agree to think you're wrong, you agree to think I am. I was quite happy to leave that at the state of affairs, weren't you? I don't think either of us could advance any arguement that we haven't already covered.

If you want my personal belief for clarification: I don't believe the Bible factually, but do allagorically. There is quite a bit in there that is, at the risk of sounding facisous, good stuff. I just jumped on the thread because I believe that religion has a place in society, it just doesn't happen to be in the sciences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.