Why the Bible is wrong

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by munkiejunkie, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetallguy

thetallguy New Member

oh

I believe the bible. I won't explain the intricacies of why (at this time) I do not commit myself to the teachings of Christ.
    If I say to you that I followed the teachings at a point in my life.. and experienced what I call supernatural encounters.. as explained and described in the bible then I am either mad, lying or actually did. I won't explain what or when it happened.. for the sake of too much argument (my time online is limited).
    I believe from the first word of Genesis to the last Amen in Revelation.
    I believe it because I have experienced it and lived it.. so I guess to be told it is "wrong" assumes me to be crazy. Or for it to be "wrong" in any other sense assumes that you are right.. I am not persuaded that Buddha should be "right" above God. For where does right and wrong come from? If it is your own conscience.. then we are in trouble.. for my conscience tells me it is fine for me to kick someone in the face when they are down.. yet yours may not. My right and wrong comes from obedience to god or disobedience to God, not a set code. I love Buddha's idea for sure but why would I follow him? I place my trust in the one who claims to be in control of death and life.. not nirvana. I place my trust in Jesus who claimed a perfect sinless life.. not Mohammed who said that God had changed his character since the Bible.. or anyone else who has come since. Where else can I turn but the bible? Again I say, if you think it is ok to live by your conscience.. you better tell that to Saddam, Bush and whoever else hates each other or brands the other evil.. cos that is the result of living your own life, each war comes about cos different people "followed" their own right and wrong.
    So.. I believe the bible through experience, comfort and what to me is historical evidence.

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

1. I'm confident that theres only 2 possibilites here. :rolleyes:

2. Yes, Yes it does.

3. This is the perfect example of what i'm talking about.

Experiance = Mental instability

Comfort = Emotional Crutch to coutner mental instability.

Historical Evidence = ......

3. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

what if i told you tekken that i have seen a little boy with 50% vision, who was bought into a prayer meeting wearing those coke bottle glasses be totally healed by the end of the meeting to the point he was running outside in the evening light playing with other children without the glasses on? And what if I told you that I know someone who spinal cord was severed (proven with Xray's) who is walking around today and the Western Australian medical community are still scratching there heads because at the very least he should be a quadraplegic, he was prayed for by a group of christians at his hospital bed when he had the accident?

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Any evidence of these, a link would be good.

What if I told you that 10 people exploded from reading the bible.

5. BendzR

BendzR New Member

If you pray for every single person that needs a better quality of life, then eventually you will get "miracles" when a freak healing occurs.

If I pray for every quadraplegic on the planet, and 1 somehow "heals" from it against what we are used to in medicine, then can I claim it was God ?

That's cherry picking.

How about all the times people pray and nothing happens. How about the times tsunamis kill (murder, if its intended) hundreds of thousands of people for no reason.

"God has a plan" doesn't convince me, because if part of his plan is for people to suffer and die, then what's the point in the first place. If something bad happens, I can accept that excuse. But when people get killed, it doesnt cut it as a explanation.

In Science you look at evidence and then draw a conclusion. In the debate for God, people look at the conclusion, and then search for evidences. The former is the more logical approach, where as the latter is what my friend Socrastein will call "ignorant".

6. t3lboy

t3lboy New Member

Only read a few post on this thread so apologise if this has been said before, I went to a Church of Engalnd Sunday School, I am not religious now. We asked "why does God let bad things happen to good people?", the response was a fairly good one, and have heard it again since.

{Paraphrasing and changing to an adults prospective}

"As a parent you wouldn't stop your child skate boarding or climbing trees, you know they could get hurt, but you still let them do it anyway. This is all in the process of growing up." Apparently this was his view of how God treats us, "we grow through challenges".

Like I said I am not religious, but this has been the only argument that has come close to a good argument.

<Breathes, first serious post>

T3lboy

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Your quite ignorant aren't you. You've propably never even looked into a copy of the scriptures to find out what it says. Before you make any kind of statement like that I beleive that you should do some study on the subject. Hey with all the free time you have at school then you should be able to do that.

8. EmptyHandGuy

They went a bit further than saving a few documents, science as we know it today would not exist if it wasn't for the church's efforts to keep safe the nowledge lost by people during the dark ages. We would be even more advanced if they had managed to keep a lot more than they did.

9. NaughtyKnight

Whats this about churches helping us? Are you having an absolute girafe?

When christianity was introduced, the quality of life dropped 10 fold.

Spanish Inquistionn (sp?) witch hunts etc, wow your right, the church is really great :rolleyes:

10. EmptyHandGuy

So your saying that the tall guy is a liar, is mad and has an emotional crutch?

So you say that he is lying because he has had experience of supernatural events like recorded in the bible? Well so have I does that make me a liar to?
    Does this mean I'm mentally unstable? No.

You say that science has done away with religion, I would disagree, I would say without religion there would be no science.

You say that experience = mental stability. But don't scientists look for experience when they do experiments? When they mix two chemicals together they experince the results, they don't just sit and look at the bottles and wonder about what might happen.

I gain comfort from my faith not as an emotional crutch to counter some unseen mental instability. My experience of the supernatural give me evidence of a more powerful force at work within the universe, something that science cannot explain.

Maybe when you've grown up a bit, left school and seen a bit more of the big wide world you will come to see that there is more to this world than what is written in some science text books.

11. EmptyHandGuy

I guess all those people in india helped by mother teresa don't count. Or the millions around the world who get food aid from charities like christian aid don't either. These peoples live have really dropped by a 10 fold haven't they?

What of the Spanish inquistion, do I believe that they acted in the best interested of the church? No. Do I believe they represented the church? No. But they did think this and it was acceptable then.

As for witch hunts I believe that people are led into danger when they dabble in occult practices, I believe that they can open themselves up to some really bad stuff. Do I believe in witch hunts? No. Do I believe that the people who did these things in the past did it for the best? I don't know. The thing is we cannot really judge people of a couple of hundred years ago with the moral standards of today. They were working from a completly different set of moral values and to them it was morally right to do the things they did.

12. NaughtyKnight

Err, the spanish inquisitioners (sp?) were ordered by the church.

And religion didnt spark global aid.

I cant wait until they ban religion, stupid beyong belief. Sure, believe if you want to, but craming it down everyones throat at every turn gets annyoing very quickly.

American schools refusing to teach evolution, just another example of the stupidity religion causes.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

actually, i do read the bible, it is the single greatest tool for atheism on the planet.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

1. Yes, I am

2. well you can't be both, if your a liar, it didn't happen.
    If your mentally unstable then you think it DID happen. I'm going to go with option A for now.
    3.that makes 0 sense, it can be proven if it is a scientific experiment. as can mental instability, i suggest you look into that.
    4. maybe when you stop letting yourself lean so intently on your moral high ground and cructch of faith. you'll see how ridiculous it sounds. let me phrase it the way it must have sounded when first introduced to primitive people. "Theres an invisable man, who lives in the sky, he neds money, so be sure to give lots of yours to people u don't know, and he loves you even though he intends to set you on fire" sounds like a very well thought out and logical explination right? I'll talk about the bible and the commandments when i have more time, I think the bells gonna ring soon

15. bcbernam777

And of course people like mother theresa(remember the poor in India), Jackie Pulinger (given her life to give aid and direction for the slums of Hong Kong), David Wilkernson(helped to free hundreds of thousands of Drug addicts form their addictions), the salvation army, St Vincent De Paul...(the list goes on) have done nothing for peoples quality of life.

16. bcbernam777

So where does a freak healing come from if the healings are a scientific impossability??

17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I am getting sick of people calling others "ignorant".

In another thread, people were spoken to over use of the word (not by myself), so I am going to carry on with that by locking this thread.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.