Why Thai Boxers Feel Like They're Superior?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kurama1234, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Arlion

Arlion New Member

well that is mostly due to philosophy of the master/instructor of the dojo and because muay thai only focuses on brutality and efficiency but without mental part of training which is why most other MA practitioners are not as aggressive.

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Lol.

This a pungent stain of a post.

Please elucidate upon the specific mental training carried out in other martial arts and how they result in peaceful students who lack aggression on an almost uniform basis.

The most valuable mental training is found in hardship and confronting your ego and vulnerability, not paying lip service to tenets or ideals without implementation or militaristic classroom etiquette or hierachically imposed deference masquerading as respect; even then there is no guarantee that a peaceful respectful human being will be forged without effort on their part.

I've met agressive idiots in all areas of martial arts but significantly less in the ones where you have to back up your attitude with your skills daily.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

fixed that for ya!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've reposted the correct bits of your post.

5. CLEANSHIGH

CLEANSHIGH New Member

The 1976 challenge favored the ring sports, the minute you put on gloves many weapons such as eye jabs, leopard paws, etc are taken away, but the advantage of training for rounds is the conditioning you get, and muay thai conditioning is excellent but it could be incorporated into all systems

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you cannot hit me with a 16 oz glove on you cannot hit me period

If a practitioner of a system is so handicapped by the rules then they should not agree to the challenge

7. CLEANSHIGH

CLEANSHIGH New Member

Muay thai is a sport, and it has it's limitation and only a match without gloves, time limits or rounds and no rules could compare fighting styles but it also depends on the fighters.
    there is no superior styles only superior fighters

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

So organized fights like that actually take place all over the world and have done for decades.
    The sport stylists win almost exclusively and have done so pretty much throughout recorded history.
    Look up early UFC and Vale Tudo fights.

9. RogerKBK(FMT)

RogerKBK(FMT) New Member

A good reason why some Thai Boxers,feel like Muay Thai is superior is because of its striking arsenal and clinch for MMA,and Muay Thai itself.But as a Thai Kickboxer myself,I see flaws in the art that can put us on our rear ends.Using the clinch in MMA is useful,but also vulnerable to takedowns.Using the clinch in the street can be useful as well,but also can be extremely vulnerable since in the streets there are no rules.Groin shots,Eye gouges,or knife attacks is what can and has got some other Thai boxers hurt,cut,and killed in the streets.Our kicks can chop down legs,crack ribs,and put somebody out if their hands are down.But spite how powerful our kicks come,quite alot don't move as quick as a snapping kick,which also can open a takedown and get you pounded on or kicked by multiple guys.Muay Thai is a great sport and combat practice,but indeed not better than any other art.Since it all falls down to the person's skill.

10. Hannibal

Some styles produce consistently superior fighters though so once again it is not the style it is the training method

I am givi g the "just a sport" comment the contempt it deserves

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Not really,the Thais allowed people who wished to to go without gloves and use their deadly open hand techniques.

As one comment read afterwards,it showed that imitating animals is rather silly.

12. CLEANSHIGH

CLEANSHIGH New Member

Training in Muay thai for 8 years it was excellent conditioning and techniques but they were for mainly attacks in the ring, parries deflections were practiced with gloves and it was good but after 10 years I went into Krav Maga which is entirely a different focus, I studied quite a few martial arts Poekoelan Kung Fu, Tang Soo Do, Muay thai and they all offer different viewpoints, Muay thai focused a lot on conditioning but so does Krav

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Defining a match based on "winning" or "losing" is something that should be addressed in the conversation.

If the goal is instead based on the ability to continue on and fight another day, technique leading to things such as poking someone's eye out, long term/permanent damage, or even lethal damage should be mitigated. For example, say you fight in a match and during the match you lose an eye (permanently), but still manage to choke out the opponent. You win the match but aren't in very good shape for the next fight.

This isn't good for the fighters. Maybe acceptable in a death match or life or death situation, but not for any kind of organized event.

In sport you want all competitors to be able to continue on to compete another day, win or lose. Outside of competition, there should be nothing to prove. Some of the most experienced fighters I've every met were always very humble outside of competition, because they truly had nothing to prove.

I think if we really look back at the importance of rules and how the lack of rules is a really humbling situation, we see the importance of how humility comes to be.

14. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Hey brother this comment interested me, do you know or have a source that indicates what styles they are referring to? I don't know know of any legitimate martial arts styles that 'imitate' animals. That might be something more akin to animal Qigong but as far as I've been taught, the 'animal' aspects of many Asian fighting arts aren't about imitating animals, but understanding different methods of human attack and defense using animals as a sort of natural reference. One interesting thing to note is that it's possible to describe Muay Thai using animal and element terminology. In fact southern Chinese and Thai arts are intimately linked they are not really separate at all except in nomenclature. And as far as modern sports is it really a stretch to say a pro San Shou champion is any different than a pro Muay Thai champion? What is so special about 1976 anyway? What's important in my humble opinion ;) is not what is better but who can reach that pinnacle themselves, isn't it? I apologize if I seem preachy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I don't know about 1976 but my instructor attended a match between China and Thailand around 1970-1971 in Thailand. I think he said there were seven fights and Thai fighters won all of them by knock out or because of injuries to the Chinese fighters. I believe he said many of them suffered broken arms trying to block the kicks with single arms.

I heard that matches in later years were not so uneven because the fighters representing China were better prepared and even started winning.

I could be off on the dates, but I pretty sure that's the time frame he told me.

16. CLEANSHIGH

CLEANSHIGH New Member

it's all about the training

17. Hannibal

Which is exactly what I said above

Significantly, when you apply a consistent training methodology arts tend to look very similiar

18. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Thanks for that story who knows if it's true man :) , but I don't know of any Chinese arts that block kicks with single arms any way at least Hung gar doesn't treat kicks that way. Maybe there are some Chinese styles that do this, if so what are they? That was the question I was most interested above, what were the styles or claims of the guys they supposedly beat up?

I guess it's not impossible some thai boxers met some Chinese toughs and beat them up in the 70s, and the Chinese were poorly trained in fighting. Blocking a thai kick unwisely seems like something a generally untrained person might do. But that or imitating animals is something I associated with cinematic Chinese martial art as opposed to the functional arts that grew up in the region, which in practice look and feel a lot like Muay Thai any way, in my opinion. In fact if throws were introduced to Muay Thai, it would be just like San Shou, wouldn't it? San Shou champions fight Muay Thai champions now and both of those arts harken to their war-ridden 'glory days' (Muay Thai has a war dance, how awesome is that before a fight!), so it's all good :) If some people want to claim their art be it Muay Thai or whatever is the best, then they'd best keep at their training right? Or else someone else will take the mantle, and then claim whatever style they want. That's what I meant by "nomenclature"...Muay Thai is a cultural name for punches and kicks at the end of the day, and tough guys have been posturing about whose is the best since the dawn of man ;D It's a bit juvenile so say the least.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  19. CLEANSHIGH

CLEANSHIGH New Member

I don't think that the 1970s test is conclusive, many martial artists would not even entertain the notion of going over to Thailand for the spectacle, I Doubt they had any shaolin monks there, at least serious ones, even though the current form of it is more like dance, putting on gloves changes it, 16 oz gloves are easy to block while a side kick to the kneecap not to much

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If you can hit me with 16oz gloves on you sure can't hit me without them.