Why Thai Boxers Feel Like They're Superior?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kurama1234, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

I don't know if this situation only happens here in Brazil, but, everytime I meet a Thai Boxer they think their style is superior to everyone and Adalia bipunctata y'all (they're mostly from the same gym)
    Been doing a cross training between BJJ, Judo and BBT, never seen a person in my dojos saying such things as: Oh I could beat such person who does such style anytime anywhere, but when it's about Thai Boxers, they go all rude and say stuff.
    Is it because of their masters or because Thai is so OVERHYPED here in Brazil?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Kurama1234, please watch your language swearing (or masked swearing) is against the rules here on MAP.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Equal parts ego and the fact that Thai boxing is the bombazzle. You get that attitude in exponents of all arts but at least Nak Muay can back it up

4. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Ironically brother I think many Brazilians would probably say that jiujitsu can be used to defeat a Thai boxer. Maybe Brazilians are just good at identifying great fighting technique :D I'm curious what styles did they claim Thai boxing is superior to exactly?

5. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Sorry about the swearing.

Iron the thai boxers here claim they are superior to everything, they said if they fight a bjj player they'd knock him out in 5 secs. Anyways, I think they're overhyping muay thai here, it gets through their head.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Spar with one.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!

Seriously though, I haven't run into anyone like that in regards to thai boxing. Most thai boxers I know do bjj as well though.....

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

thai boxing + bjj = destroyer of humans

9. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Well haven't met one thai boxer here that does bjj as well because they think they are complete!! Well I think it's because Brazilian television, they are always ''hyping'' muay thai saying it's a bloody and you can make a lethal weapon out of your body LOL.
    I may spar one someday, but don't feel like I need it, maybe when then join a MMA competition and get thrown on the ground and have no experience there, they'll know their style isn't ''perfect''.

10. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Hey I am a huge fan of Muay Thai but also the style is missing so many elements, not to mention like boxing being standup only...what is the average age of the 'boxers' you're describing? They don't seem to represent actual Thai boxers, maybe just some young numbskulls who don't cross train outside their art :D I'm no expert but it seems punching and kicking someone is pretty hard when they've got you on the ground with your heel caught :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  11. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Hey! They're mostly around 17-23 years old, but I feel like their master do the same as they do......

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Isn't it part of the culture of Brazilian men to act "macho"? Im pretty sure it's common there.

13. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Being a ''macho'' isn't about trying to show superiority over everyone.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Of course it is, it's basically social dominance.

Just spar with one.

15. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

A lot of males in this age range have this attitude. As said, it's an attempt at social dominance. I see it a bit :)

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's the shiny shorts.

17. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Definitely

18. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

The Thai boxers and MMA guys at one of my gyms are generally some of the most humble people that I know. Sure, there's the odd knacker who brags, but when you had a European title under your belt I guess you could be entitled to a superior attitude.

Conversely, at my kung fu school you get braggarts and bullies particularly amongst some of my fellow instructors and seniors. Yet the majority of them have never been in a school "fight" let alone compete...

19. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Damn, things are a little different there it seems. XD
    Kung Fu guys here are very humble, but I guess it's about the master not students?

20. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'll wager you'd get bullies and show offs in all styles, it doesn't mean that that style churns out such people, it just means that people are people - some are great big <insert expletive of your choosing>, whilst others will be humble and chilled.