why not

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by icefield, Aug 28, 2011.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

why not icefields log

I stopped posting my log on another site months ago due to work....but since im getting ready for another met ill post here for you all to laugh at :eek:)

last weeks training to kick things off

22/08/11 due to work and changes at the gym powerlifting has now moved to monday friday scedule (used to be wednesday and friday), which s&cks because mondays was the night i was hoping to get back into my kung fu training, will have to speak to the coach and see if hes ok with me turning up 10 minutes late :eek:(

anyway enough of the moaning

squats 60kg x 5 reps x 2 sets, , 100 x 5, 120 x 5 x 2 sets, 140 x 5, 140 x 4, stopped here and joined in the bench press workout

bench 60 x 5, 100 x 5, 115 x 1, 120 x 1, 130 x 1, 135 x 1, 137.5 x 1

back to squats did 70 x 5, 120 x 3, and 140 for a double (felt heavy)

then deadlifts, 70 x 5, 140 x 5, 160 x 3, 180 x 2, 190 for a single, then missed 205 thre times before finishing with another single at 190

24/8/11

started with deadlifts my back was still sore from monday so kept it light, 70 x 5, 130 x 5, 160 x 5, then 180 for 5 singles

bench
    60 x 5, 80 x 3, 100 x 3, then 110 x 5 for 3 sets plus a single at 120kg

squats
    60 x 5 x 2 sets, 100 x 5, 120 x 5 x 2 sets, 140 x 4, then 140 x 4 again just the two top sets, thats the week of 5 reps out of the way, i hate them

25/08/11
    2hrs pad work and strikes into takedowns

26/08/11
    1hr of strikes into takedowns,then 1hr of ground work mainly side control escapes and working the triangle from the overhook in the guard

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Some lovely numbers there!

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What he said^! :D

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

30/08/11

yesterday was a rest day so just did the boring stuff, 20 minutes foam rolling and stretching before bed

today rest day as well :) did 35 minutes cardiac output training average HR was 140pbm, first 20 minutes was a mix of shadow boxing, core work and heavy band rows and pulls, keeping my HR in the right zone, last 15 minutes were tempo intervals out on the field, 15 secs intervals at 75% of max, walking rest for a minute and then repeat

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

31/08/11

felt like c^ap today but still hit the gym, 10 minutes foam rolling and stretching to warm up and then:
    1) squat, 60 x 5 x 2 sets, 120 x 3 x 2 sets, 140 x 2 reps, then 150kg x 3 x 2 sets, first set started high and got low, second set all low and good lifts, finished with 140 x 4 reps
    2) Bench 60 x 5, 90 x 5, 105 x 4, 117.5 x 3 reps x 2 sets, finished with 100kg x 5 reps
    3) deadlift, working on form at the moment so low reps and lowish weights, 70 x 3, 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 160 x 2, 180kg for a single, felt easy so then did it for a double

that was it

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yesterday was hour and a half of pad work into takedowns, mainly cardio really

today 02.09.11

10 mins warmup and foam rolling
    squats, 70 x 5, 110 x 5, 125 x 3, 150 x 3 resp x 2 sets, then since everyone else seemed to be doing marathon squat sessions did 150 x 2 reps
    bench press (alternating with powercleans, the farms lift of the month)
    bar x 10, 60 x 5, 80 x 5, 100 x 5, 120 x 2reps, then 120 x 3 reps, then 100 x 4
    in between sets i power cleaned, worked up to 90kg for a single, put me on the board and have the whole month to get better, been years since i power cleaned

no deadlifting today, going from bench to powercleans was strange......

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Strong lifts there. Great to see someone doing deads and squats. Are you doing any back work beside deads?

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

not updated for a week, yesterday i squated, 70 x 6, 120 x 3 x 2 sets, 140 x 5, 155 x 2, then 170 for a single, felt easy and new PB
    bench worked up to 130 for a single, left it there because left bicep felt very sore
    deadlift, hit 190 for a single, failed 205 three thimes, then finished with 190 again deadlift annoyed me might switch to sumo after my next comp in october, but then realised i still totaled 490 in the training session which is more than i did in my last comp so didnt feel too bad

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i do sets of chins before my MMA class, i also do heavy band rows and face pull and band good mornings on off days

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

not posted log for a while, been too busy but a write up of my last powerlifting comp, warning its long

So this weekend let to my second powerlifting comp, didn’t go well, I set myself the target of a 500kg total, 1100 pound which I had done easily in training, I was looking for a 170kg (375), 130 (285) bench, and 200 (440) My comp best had been 160sq, 130 Bench and 195 DL

In training the deadlift has not been going well, I’ve pulled 190 easily and 200 once, but cant break 200 for love nor money so I made the decision to move to sumo style after this comp and hope for the best at the comp

Training for the comp has not been the best but in my last training session I hit all my openers with easy: squatted 160 (352) bench 120(265) and pulled 190(418) so was ready to go.

I weighted 105.5kg 2 days before the comp (I was in the under105kg category) but like a muppet I wanted to make sure I made weight so ate very little the next 2 days, this combined with a 2 hr grappling session the day before the comp (like I said muppet) meant I weighted in at 101kg at the comp feeling tired and hungry, to make matters worse the comp was packed close to a 100 guys in the unequipped so I started lifting 3 hrs after weigh in and it took 3 and a half hours to complete

Squat went good, first round 160 was easy, second round 170 was a struggle but went up, 175 stapled me to the floor and I failed that, but 170kg (375) was a new PB and a good way to start (the fact that it felt so heavy should have been an indication of what was to follow)

Bench
    1) 120kg flew up even though the pause took for ever
    2)130kg was a real grind, I have doubled this in training but was so tired it took ages to go up, but got all white lights
    3) 135kg went no where, no surprise I was spent after the 130

So 130kg ((286) equalled my comp best but I had wanted more

Deadlift
    The warm up went badly, 180kg which I can treble almost didn’t comp up it was a real grind so I was in no shape for my opener
    1) 190 (418) went up all three lights (I was shocked it moved off the floor to be honest)
    2) 200, didn’t go anywhere complete fail
    3) 200 same weight same outcome three red lights

So finished with a 490kg total (1078) happy I beat my last comp total but annoyed I didn’t get the 500

Take home lessons
    I spent way too long lifting at 90%+ before the comp (4 weeks) it burned me out.
    Cutting that much weight was stupid, as was grappling the day before
    Need to get my warm ups sorted, I started the squat warm up 45mins before I was called out to squat (mix up over the running order)
    Deadlift its all in the head get it sorted and try Sumo

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I only dream of those numbers!

What competition did you enter?
    How many times a week do you squat/dead lift/bench and row?

12. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I think it might have been the GBPF all english champs last weekend

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

That's some heavy weight there. Nice work.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

correct thats the one

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i squat bench and deadlift twice a week all on the same day (its how its done at my gym) i do pull ups at my MMA gym and do heavy band rows and shoulder work on other days.

Most lift three times a week, but i cant make it three times due to work, i cant make the TCMA class i want to do due to work let alone lift three times a week (lifting easier as its right near work and on days im free)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

End of year so might as well wrap my log up, not that I have done much on it later shoulder injury means I am doing Juggernaut Method stuff at the moment not sure how interesting that is to people

Did two powerlifting comps this year (missed third due to shoulder problems)
    First one total 485Kg with a 160kg SQ, 130kg bench and 195kg deadlift my weight was 104.2kg.
    Second comp total was 490kg with a 170sq, 130 bench (missed 135 pause was long lol) and 190kg deadlift, with the weight I cut (4kg in a day lol, and doing a 2hr hour grappling class that same day) and the long day I’m amazed I actually got 190kg (in warm up I missed 180kg) weighted in at 101kg

Best gym lifts this year
    Big three:
    Squat 170kg
    Bench 137.5kg (before shoulder injury )
    Deadlift conventional 200kg, sumo not maxed out yetbut did an easy 180 for a triple)

Lifts of the month: the gym has a lift of the month to keep things interesting
    77.5kg snatch,
    90kg clean, (could have done a lot more but this lift was held the same month as my second meet so only did it the once as i needed to concentrate on the big three)
    105kg jerk, (easy but not used to the overhead stuff so didn’t push it)
    45kg DB overhead press
    223kg Trap bar deadlift
    44kg overhead squat and 80kg front squat, all done in one day after heavy squat sessions
    as I missed these two months and made them up on amnesty day in November, could have gone heavier but just happy to register lol

Things I have learned

1) Don’t cut 4kg the day before a lifting comp, and don’t do three grappling sessions the week before its stupid rest
    2) Deload more, up until the comp I did 4 heavy weeks all above 90% with no real deload, that with the grappling simply burned me out come the deadlifting
    3) Do a lot more back and rehab work, you shoulder will thank you
    4) Raw lifting is not the same as geared lifting, and needs to be trained differently

Next year targets
    1) Try to become strong
    2) break the 500kg mark in my next comp (Feb)
    2) then the 550 by the end of the year
    3) Get my shoulder healthy again
    4) give the Juggernaut training a real run
    5) Add in some conditioning mainly cardiac work then HICT and threshold stuff

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

How're you finding Chad smiths system? I've been considering it but don't want to part with 20quid to find it's not something I want to do.

Well done on the comps buddy, some good lifts in there.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

it seems ok, the higher reps are what i needed to rest my shoulder and other injuries i have , only been doing it for about 5 weeks so ask me after febs comp lol

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

5 of our lifters are representing england in the commonwealths next week, one of them benched 175kg and deadlifted 280kg today at the age of 60......think he will do ok :cool:

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Parted with my hard earned, will give it a read later, can never read too many training books! I'll be sure to shoot any questions at you mind!