Why not just swing?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Southpaw535, May 16, 2010.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I cant seem to sit down and watch the ufc or ultimate fighter without someone saying "this is crap they're just circling thats not fighting!!" and I'm wondering how people respond to that? I always thought it was to stop gassing and getting wtfpwned by a counter if your throwing wild haymakers but is there a better reason?

Cheers.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Circling out of range is thinking time. All the time you are in this range your opponent cannot hit you. Fighting should be spontanious, but thinking time is important, as it stops you doing stupid things.
    Also as you say it stops you having to fight for the full round, breathing time if you like.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

It's also waiting for opportunity and studying the opponent. You can get an idea of their footwork and body movement by seeing how they walk or bounce around the ring.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Sorry I'm on the wrong site again:evil:

5. Southpaw535

Moi you're like... 50....eww.

Cheers for the replies guys are you more likely to knock someone out once the fights been going a round or two? I imagine a tko is more likely once fatigue starts kicking in but what about a proper ko?

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Give the boy a slap!

7. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I believe in feinting. Swinging recklessly will probably open you up to a flush counter.
    I do think circling for a minute is ok but just circling for several minutes gives way to much time to doubt and second guess. Besides confusing your opponent feinting creates reactions which will give guys a better read on movements than just circling alone.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you keep circle to your opponent's side door so his back arm is jammed by his front arm, you don't have to worry about your opponent's back hand knock out punch.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Personally if I fought in the UFC I'd swing.
    It seems these days you can earn more money by swinging, making an entertaining fight but losing, than trying to fight clever and getting the W. Rarely will a technical grappling match get FOTN.
    The UFC will generally cut people after 2 loses but will tolerate more than that if the fighter makes a good show.
    I'd fight clever and win for one fight. Swing for the next one and try for the $65k FOTN bonus and then fight clever the next time.
    Maximise your earnings.

10. Southpaw535

Doesn't Dana normally say he doesnt care if you lose evedry fight so long as you go out and put on a show?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah something like that. They obviously take how entertaining you are into account.
    But two boring losses in a row will generally get you shown the door I think.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Which of course makes a farce out of the whole 'best of the sport' thing. But then White is a jackass.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Which of course makes a farce out of the whole 'best of the sport' thing.

Not really. You can't lose every fight. But you will get moved down the roster and out of contention eventually.

14. Southpaw535

Generally "put on a show" means make it a close fight or at least show heart and I think fans just want to see a good fight now the whole best martial art thing has pretty much been done.

White is an ass and I seem to never be able to decide if I like him or not but you can't deny he's done good tings for the sport and he IS a pretty good owner.

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Sure, you can't deny that he took the UFC from a fringe activity to being pretty much a mainstream sport.

But... he is a master-debater of the highest order who uses the UFC to try and make himself look more manly, and treats the majority of his fighters as cattle (remember the image rights debacle).

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

White isnt the owner, just the president.

17. Dead_pool

Timing, feeling out, seeing how they react, trying to get the angle on them for a shoot.

Good stalking is a skill, good example of this was anderson silva vs forrest,
    a bad example is anderson silva vs maia.

18. Southpaw535

Thanks I couldn't remember the word last night.

Silva or Maia?

19. Dead_pool

s'alright, Kinda both, Silva has amazing ability, but was not using it to set up attacks, and actually fight. Maia (compared to Silva) had lesser ability, and couldnt effectively enter.

20. Southpaw535

But arguably Maia was just being smart he knew if he swung for Silva he was going to get dropped immediately. That said it looked like he suprised him in the 5th with those punches.